Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 08:41

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnr
But - my question is - what is so bad about potatoes?
Thanks

Well, above you've received some pretty detailed explanations. I'll go the simpler route and offer as an answer..... because when I eat potatoes I can't loose weight. Yes, on "low-fat" diets I've eaten them as staples, but was never able to stick to low fat for very long and wasn't able to lose more than a couple of pounds going low fat.

Also, I suppose, if I were in any way, shape, or form able to be a marathon runner, I wouldn't have to worry about potatoes and probably never would have found this forum or your post?

I guess we all need to do what's right and what works for us, right?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 18:17

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks everyone. Really wasn't trying to incite a riot here, just posted this question in the war zone because I thought it might end up here anyways. I think its great that you've all found a plan that works for you, and I commend you for making strides towards a healthier lifestyle. I was simply curious as to why potatoes were being lumped into a category with rice and flour, and I've gotten some responses which do explain that, in accordance with the Atkins or GI diets. Thanks
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 22:54

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
One of the advantages of having a child who is a picky eater is that she eats the inside of the baked potato and leaves the skin. I sometimes eat the skin from her potato, which is my favorite part of the potato anyway. I've never bothered to figure out the exact carb count and glycemic index for a baked potato skin, but as Lisa wrote it is high in fiber and I think the glycemic index must be low.

No lectures, please, on how my daughter eats! She's 14 years old and an athlete and she burns all the carbs. She does eat protein, vegetables, and fat as well as the inside of baked potatoes!

My daughter was the same way....still is at 22, but getting better.

One summer she LIVED on baked potatoes. She loves them in any form, but baked with lots of butter and cheese is her favorite. She spent a summer with her dad, who had "nothing I like" in the house, so she ate baked potatoes. With cheese and margarine. (At home she would've gotten butter at least) She gave me the final tally when seh came home.....and didn't eat a potato for several weeks.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 06:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi runnr,
Next time you eat a potato, put a little cooked potato on your tongue and leave it there for a while. You'll notice it becomes sweet. That's because the enzymes in your saliva start to convert the starch into sugar...before it even reaches your stomach! That's one thing that's wrong with potatoes.

As for being natural, well so are rhubarb leaves and the little green fruit potato flower produce but both will make you very ill or kill you if you eat them. The 'natural argument' doesn't work I'm afraid.

If a person is very active, not overweight and metabolses carbs well then there is nothing wrong with potatoes eaten in reasonable proportion with other foods. For most of the people on this board. including me, they are really not a good idea.