Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 22:20

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Hidden soya in fast food 'cutting men's fertility'

Hidden soya in fast food 'cutting men's fertility'

Antony Barnett, public affairs editor
Sunday November 7, 2004
The Observer

Britons' love of convenience food packed full of 'invisible' soya is a cause of declining sperm counts and a host of fertility problems, new research into its impact on Western diets reveals.

Many healthy foods such as soya milk and soya yogurt are also implicated.

A team led by Sheena Lewis, professor of reproductive medicine at Queen's University in Belfast, has conducted studies linking soya to reduced male fertility. Scientists believe chemicals in the soya bean mimic the female hormone, oestrogen.

The research is disclosed in an investigation into the multi-billion dollar global soya industry published in today's Observer Food Monthly magazine. It reveals that soya is no longer eaten just by vegetarians but used as cheap protein in most processed and fast foods.

Other research has linked the hormonal chemicals in soya to certain cancers, brain disease and developmental abnormalities in infants.

Lewis said: 'Chemicals found in soya can lower sperm count ... The results do give us concerns and there need to be further studies on a much larger scale.'

One of his team, Dr Lorraine Anderson, said: 'If you alter the oestrogen that a man is exposed to, you can not only affect their sperm quality but you can get an increase in structural abnormalities like undescended testes.' She believes this could lead to other problems later in life, such as testicular cancer. The Soya Protein Association, which represents food makers, said: 'We have seen no convincing evidence that soya causes any harm.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/...1345541,00.html

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 22:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

This looks like it's going to be the new health scare. When I was buying soya flour the other day the shop assistant warned me it might cause me to grow man boobs!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 08:19
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Well, I remember a while back they were touting soy's ability to mimic female hormones, so it is possible they could cause man boobs. I don't eat soy anymore, but even when I did I found that lc still mostly fixed my man boob problems Still, taking plant estrogens can't possibly help the problem. On the other hand, maybe it is effective birth control
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Odd.. first we hear soy doesn't help with estrogen related things like menopausal issues and bone thinning now they say it works like estrogen on men.