Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 14:59

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Thanks Karen and Doreen for your useful comments regarding my first 3 days of the Study.

The only way that I will learn is to try and do it. Therefore I would like to take Doreen's advice and restart my "Study" as of Thursday Aug. 23rd.

This will give me an opportunity to read about other participants menus who will have already started their programme.

By the way Doreen, I did make copies of all the threads that you suggested, but I guess I misread them. For example; you mention to Angel on Aug. 13th that "day's 3, 4 and 5 are dairy free.". Yet, in Karen's advice on Aug. 13th, in her Low-Carb Project v.1.2, she includes on Day 4 (Stillman)- baker's cheese and cottage cheese is allowed..

I assume that I was ok on Day 2, (Fat Fast) ?

On Day 1, I may have eaten too many carbs, if my calculation was correct

You guys have been a great help to me to better understand this LC WOE, so thanks again

Regards
Joe
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 16:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
........restart my "Study" as of Thursday Aug. 23rd.
the 23rd is this Wednesday, therefore, Day 1 of the cycle has to be on Wed. not Thurs.
Quote:
... you mention to Angel on Aug. 13th that "day's 3, 4 and 5 are dairy free.". Yet, in Karen's advice on Aug. 13th, in her Low-Carb Project v.1.2, she includes on Day 4 (Stillman)- baker's cheese and cottage cheese is allowed..
right you are Joe ... and Wa'il pointed that out to me promptly, whereby I corrected myelf a few posts further down the list, with tongue-in-cheek apology for not equating dry cottage cheese (ickkk, cacccckkk.. bleeahhh) with dairy. ..
Quote:
I assume that I was ok on Day 2, (Fat Fast) ?
Fat intake looks perfect , and carbs below 10g, which is great. But protein is restricted to 15g. Some of us are just eating the egg yolks, and saving the white for another day. Regular hard cheese is also higher in protein than desired. You might consider using mayonnaise or other vegetable oils, which will give you good unsaturated fats, without any carbs or protein. You may have one cup of shredded lettuce, so perhaps a salad made with chopped cooked egg yolks, and mayonnaise or olive oil as a dressing.

This is definitely tough, and I find I have to sit down and write out my menu at least the day before, to ensure that I'm eating the correct foods, and the correct portions.

I'm doing Day 2 today, which is the Fat Fast. I did a trial run on Saturday, and posted the menu in the Fat Fast thread. I'm having a different menu today, which I worked out the foods, and the portions yesterday. That menu is in my Study journal here in this Study forum. Anyway, maybe take a look at those, and see if it gives an idea for what you'd like to do.

Tomorrow for me will be the Calorie Boost day. It took me an hour last night to figure out a menu that had enough calories, and the proper level of carbs. Fitday.com will let you plan menus in advance, you just have to click on the forward >> arrows next to the date at the top. That way, you can plug in your menu and know in advance whether it's enough or too much or whatever ... I'm finding that really helpful for me, instead of writing down everything AFTER the fact, and finding out I went over the limit, or didn't have nearly enough to eat and it's bedtime!

Glad you've chosen to stick with it Joe. And all the best for your kitchen renovations too. Hey, maybe you could post a picture for us when it's complete ..

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 17:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Not sure, but I think the last day to start is Wednesday, not Thursday?

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 18:00

BF:
Cool

Thanks Doreen for your enlightment regarding using the Fitday.com. I am anxious to try it out.

But I am full of joy because I just found out what I did wrong on the Stillman diet day. I have never read his book and we do not have a book report on our Forum, so I did a web search and found "The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet " by Irwin Maxwell Stillman M.D. and Samm Sinclair Baker.

Breifly it states:

1. Lean meats only (including beef, lamb and veal. also chicken and turkey with no skin) Eat it broiled, boiled, baked, or smoked. (NO FRYING) NO BUTTER, MARGARINE, OIL OR OTHER FATS OR GREASE ARE TO BE USED IN THE COOKING OR THE EATING.

2. All lean fish and seafood, but NO BUTTER, MARGARINE, OIL OR OTHER FATS OR GREASE IN PREPARATION OR SERVING.

Etc. etc. etc.

Now I know where I went wrong!

Regards
Joe

P.S. I suggest we should try and link to this 3 page document if we are allowed.

P.S.S. My calendar says that Aug 23rd falls on Thursday.
Do I restart on Wednesday or Thursday?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 18:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Joe,

Yes, please post the link. We only object to advertising and commercial links. But informative pages are always welcome.

Wa'il
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 18:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face calendar illiterate .... duh! Thurs is the 23rd.

OK, here's where the confusion comes in. The original plan was for there to be a one week period during which members could start the program, in order to keep the Study within a reasonable time frame. Since I knew the first day folks could start was Thursday the 16th, I just assumed the one week would be seven days long, meaning the last day to start the Study cycle would be Wednesday. (Thursday would be the eighth day)

However, looking at the rules for the Study, it does indeed say the 16th to the 23rd. That is what stuck in my brain .. the last start date is 23, the last start DAY is Wednesday. So, that is why I made the erroneous statement about the date. Hmmm ... better check with Karen or Rachel on that one.

About the Stillman diet, there is already a link to it, the Meat Fast, Fat Fast and other stall breakers in my article Stalls and Plateaus, which you can find by clicking on Tips on the red menu bar at the top of the page. Lots of other goodies there too, so have a look around ..

Doreen
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 19:24

BF:
Cool

Doreen------ I bow to you!!!

I just checked your Stalls and Plateaus section of Tips and found exactly the same information that I was referring to above,

If I had had the knowledge to link to your Tips I would have been a lot further ahead in my Study Journal and would not have to start again.

I guess we members of this Forum have a wealth of information available to us with the click of a mouse, (If we are not too lazy to look for it)

Regards
Joe

P.S. Will restart Thursday Aug. 23/01 as Day 1, unless I'm advised otherwise.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 22:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Stillman

Joe (and all), I just want to point out that Karen and I made some modifications to Stillman for purposes of this study.

The 'original' Stillman allowed whole eggs (high fat), and also high-carb seasonings such as ketchup and seafood sauce (way high sugar!). In order to keep this day as low as possible in fat and carbs, Karen and I decided to (a) nix the egg yolks and carby seasonings, and (b) add an optional cup of lettuce for fibre. So all of us following Stillman's in this study should be doing the modified version, as per our 'rules' thread.

Hope that's not too confusing!

Rachel
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 07:26

BF:
Cool

Understood Rachel!

Will incorporate your further information in my meal planning,

Thanks a lot

Regards
Joe
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 08:32

BF:
Default Green veggies

Here's the answer to your question, Joe. Karen and I adapted the plan from a post of Stina's. Some medical colleagues of a friend of hers tried this 'rotation' diet and had success with it. Stina, unfortunately, didn't have all the details, so we're kind of 'winging it.' I think the main idea here is to get most daily carbs from veg, rather than nuts, cheese, 'fake food,' etc. I think all LC veggies are fine. Yesterday I had broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans. About 2 cups of each should do it.

Rachel
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 16:20

BF:
Cool

Thanks Rachel and Doreen for your help.

I am pleased to report to you all that I have spent all day at the computer connected to FITDAY. COM and have completed my complete first week of menus and all the nutrition details.

Starting tomorrow I will be back on track with v1.2 Low Carb Project.

Now all I have to do is head for the stores and stock up with all the necessary ingredients for seven days.

Looking forward to your critiques!

Regards
Joe
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 19:31

BF:
Cool

Day in Cycle: 1
Week: 1
Day: Thursday, Aug. 23/01
Today’s Program: Regular LC

Foods eaten:
2 h.b. eggs
6 strips bacon
1 Cod filet
2 cups romaine lettuce with
5 tblspns. oil and vinegar dressing
1 cup steamed cauliflower
4 cu. in. cheddar cheese
1 cup tea
1 oz. macadamia nuts
1 1/2 litres water

Calories: 1318
Protein: 65 g.
% of protein: 20
Fat: 113 g.
% of fat: 77
Carbohydrates: 17 g. - 8 g. fibre = 12 g.
% of carbohydrates: 3

Activity: walked 3/4 mile

Measurements: weight: 186
waist: 42 in.
Thoughts: Well I am restarting this v1.2 trials, and I hope that I understand how to do it correctly now.

Regards
Joe
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:15

BF:

Joe, are you eating enough? On a 'normal' LC day, you should be eating 10-12x body weight, and 1300 calories is way too low for you. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into 'slowdown' mode to conserve energy, and that'll sabotage your weightloss efforts in the long run. Maybe you should consider adding a few more snacks - nuts, pork rinds, whatever - into your 'regular' days. Just an idea.

Rachel
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:20

BF:
Cool

Thanks Rachel for your good advice.

Will follow it, as I continue on this programme.

Regards
Joe
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 20:18

BF:
Cool

Day in Cycle: 2
Week: 1
Day: Friday, Aug. 24/01
Today’s Program: Fat Fast

Foods eaten:
6 tbspns. cream cheese
3 slices pepperoni
2 oz. macadamia nuts
1 cup romaine lettuce
3 tbspns. oil and vinegar dressing
1 green tea
1 1/2 litres water

Calories: 1011
Protein: 15 g.
% of protein: 6
Fat: 104 g.
% of fat: 91
Carbohydrates: 13 g. (- 6 g. fibre) = 7 g.
% of carbohydrates: 3

Activity: walked 1/2 mile

Measurements: same

Thoughts: considering the lack of calories, I felt all right. Will see if the morning brings any weight loss
Closed Thread