Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5"1
BF:
Progress:
Default Triggers or B.S.??

For bingers/emotional eaters, do you think there are foods that we never can eat , that are triggers that can not be managed? Or do you think this is a temporary, artificial fix?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default trigger or B.S.

to be clearer I am saying if we eliminate triggers will we solve our problem or the underlying cause of binge/emotional eating remains?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:16

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Both

Is a Type II diabetic still diabetic if he or she never eats something that makes blood sugar spike? Yes, the condition is still there, but you might never see the expression of it. Similarly, a sober alcoholic is still an alcoholic, even if he never takes another drink of liquor.

The underlying emotional issues are still there and need to be addressed. The benefit of avoiding the triggers is that it may be possible to stop some of the additional damage, in terms of foggy feeling, damage from being overweight, self-hate from binging again, whatever one's own symptoms are.

I am experimenting with the CAD program, and despite what they say, I have found that there are still foods that don't belong in my body, white-sugar being one of them. I suspect I'll always be sensitive to some foods, and at this age, I am not upset. Growing up is appearing to me as a series of choices where I leave one or more things behind in order to focus more clearly on other options. I ate sugar for 43 years. I can try the next 43 without it, and when I'm 86, I'll decide if I want to go back, or not.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default issues

any hints at how to really uncover those issues? I want to make peace with this and move on
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It requires cultivating "mindfulness."

One of the attractions of bingeing, at least for me, was that it turned off my mind. One of the best ways for me to avoid it was to keep my mind turned on, and "think past the binge."

Okay, right now this junk is calling to me. But how will I feel AFTER? And have I ever thought it was worth it? (The answer, of course, is NO.)

Then you just ask yourself, "So what is really bothering me?" And you might be surprised by the answer.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:58

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
It requires cultivating "mindfulness."

One of the attractions of bingeing, at least for me, was that it turned off my mind. One of the best ways for me to avoid it was to keep my mind turned on, and "think past the binge."

Okay, right now this junk is calling to me. But how will I feel AFTER? And have I ever thought it was worth it? (The answer, of course, is NO.)

Then you just ask yourself, "So what is really bothering me?" And you might be surprised by the answer.

Me too, Pam. When I *really* think, I'm forced to face whatever demons I have in my head, and it's rarely about food. For me, eating healthy equals clarity of mind, which ultimately leads me to face real issues that are hidden behind my obsession with food.

Eating is comforting and pleasurable. Carbs raise serotonin levels, the feel-good hormone. No wonder so many of us use food to sedate ourselves. I know I have.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 13:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default trigger

I know that I am under constant stress w/work/family business. If I am aware of the issues, but can not change the work I do or the fact that it is a family business, how do you suggest not making myself the scapegoat? I am aware, yet still repeating the same behaviors.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 14:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I've been working on the same issues through the Dr Phil 7 Keys. I'm really working toward uncovering and dealing with the underlying factors to my overeating, now that controlling carbs has curbed my cravings to a managable level.

If you click the link in my signature, you can judge for yourself if it's something you might find useful.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default phil

Key 4: Mastery Over Food and Impulse Eating
There's only one reason why you haven't changed the bad stuff in your life. You're getting something out of it. I'm not saying that you're getting something healthy or positive, but people do not continue in situations, attitudes or actions that do not give them a payoff. This key helps you identify those payoffs, unplug from them, and replace bad habits with healthy behavior

THANKS FOR HELP
HOW DO YOU GET INTO THIS KEY?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 15:39
Fully Caffeinated

The book is full of evaluation checklists and exercises for trying to master each key. The first time, I kind of glossed over some of the exercises and didn't get the full benefit. For me, it is really taking effort to determine exactly what my payoff is, other than the act of eating itself being soothing to me.

In the big picture, the payoff for staying overweight is not having to "compete". I feel that by requiring less of myself weight-wise, it spills over into demanding less of myself in every other area of my life, even to the point of retiring from dating since "Nobody wants a fat woman". It makes a handy excuse not to make myself vulnerable.

So, obviously, I feel that even eliminating trigger foods (and situations, like under the "No-Fail Environment" key) is a big help, it takes a lot of other work for me to consider myself "cured"...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 16:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default sharing

thanks for sharing this
so have you still done the elimination of triggers just as a way to limit "damage" and build confidence?
I need to identify the payoff.....
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 17:57
Fully Caffeinated

I try to eliminate or reduce as many as I can. If I can reduce teh number of times a day I'm reminded to want food by the environmental triggers (keeping my son's carby foods on the counter instead of put away, for example) I don't have to fight so hard to keep on track. Why make it harder? Setting yourself up for success makes it easier all around, I find.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default trigger

i still feel that I should be able to eat ANY food
without elimination
don't you deep down feel this way?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:51
Fully Caffeinated

Deep down, I WISH it was true that I could eat whatever I wanted. I have learned that some foods just don't contribute to my health and seem to be too easy to overeat, and others seem to drive my hunger and make it harder to fuel my body in a healthy way.

Even on CAD, as CS Carver also experienced, some foods just seemed to disagree with me. Sugary desserts are theoretically allowed, but even strictly following the rules of CAD, I found myself feeling "off" and wanting more food the rest of the evening. These are foods it's just easier to avoid altogether for me.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 19:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default triggers

are you EVER able to eat desserts, say on a day when you are well nourished by what fuels you?