Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 13:27

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%
Lightbulb Reality TV - The Biggest Loser

I hadnt seen any promos but suddenly last night I turn on the TV and there is a show starting called "The Biggest Loser"

http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/

Its a large group of overweight individuals, divided into two teams. One team does an eat-less high protein diet, the other does an eat more low carb diet.
Both groups have a personal trainer who help them work out.

In a challenge (where they had to pull a car by a rope) the losing team got 5lbs taken away from their weight loss.

The group who loses the most weight wins for the week, and the losing team has to vote off one member survivor style. What really took me by surprise was that a few of the guys lost more than 15lbs in one week and the women lost anywhere between 6-12 lbs.

So far the eat-less group has lost more weight but they are WAY miserable doing it. The eat more group is much happier and laid back, and seem much happier. :-)

Just wanted to share :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

ahhh, interesting - I saw the promos for this but watched baseball last night (GO RED SOX!!!! ) Maybe I will Tivo it out of curiosity - thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 20:36

Plan: Atkins ‘72
Stats: 260.5/179.0/180 Female  5'5 1/2
BF:My hubs
Progress: 101%

I watched the show..... not bad. I agree that the teams were working hard, but even though the red team (eat less) lost the most, they were the most miserable bunch of people!!! That one gal cried her eyes out because she was so hungry and had no idea what she could eat!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 21:40
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

I saw the previews for the show but missed the first episode. Thanks for the webpage link, lots of info there.

Even though the two eating plans are different, they both seem to be low in carbs . Hopefully we get some good press from this.

I am going to try and catch the next episode.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 21:43

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

,,,if that guy in the Blue team had not eaten 7 slices of Bacon they would have won.
Bacon must have made him retain water.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 07:48
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

I liked the show I'm setting my DVR.

Both teams are somewhat low carbing. The Red team is on portion control and the Blue team really isnt but are eating 5-6 times a day.

If I had to choose a team to be on, it would be Blue.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 08:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 273.5/255/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I watched it too. i thought it was interesting. i bet there will be an even bigger weight loss fad happening because of it. i like what they are trying to teach,... eating right and exercising. but i don't like that the teams don't really have that many on them. if the group is so small they will just be like family, you know? i think it would be so hard to be working as a small tight nit team for a week and then have to turn on one of your own like that.

and really that's a horrible title to be shooting for "the BIGGEST LOSER"... LOL... yeah i want to lose weight but dang... that has such a negative conotation to it.

i'm going to watch the show anyway. sure i'll pick it apart but i'm hooked what can i say.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 08:25
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Sounds like a take-off on the Canadian show that ColbyJax is doing.

Debbie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 05:56
Registered Member

Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

I think I would have killed the Girl trainer, She has lost her mind.
I hope they really get into what these people are eating cause i felt so bad for that girl that was freaking out about not knowing what to eat. But anyway, I'm hooked too
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:06
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm totally hooked too....while the concept itself is terrific, I found the female trainer way too hard on her team....she can give one of them a heart attack, the way she is pushing them at their high weights....not a good thing to me.

I also think they should be given a list of foods that they can eat so that the poor woman who was crying because she did not know what to eat...could've been avoided.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 09:44

Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

We don't have a TV (well, we do, but can't get any channels on it; can only watch videos) so I haven't seen any reality shows, but it seems to me from reading about them that the producers *want* people to break and cry and freak out and turn on each other and be miserable. That kind of thing is what seems to make these things so fascinating to viewers. If the environment was kind and supportive and food lists were provided and the trainers were reasonable, there wouldn't be the kind of tension that makes this sort of show "interesting."
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 10:04

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I could feel my heart pounding for the bigger competitor. I thought they would burst a blood vessel in their head.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:14
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

I disliked that woman trainer too.
The men looked like they wanted to cry.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 16:27

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

OH! I'm totally watching this show! I'll hafta tape it since I can't predict being home, but I saw the first hour and half ep and it was VERY FUN to watch!

My ONE big concern with it was how much exercise they made them do right off the bat!

How can that be healthy for a 467 pound man to workout for 5 hours a day right from the get go? I mean, c'mon, is there something theys not tellin us or what? Sheesh, I'm gaggin on the treadmill for under an hour, let alone 5 FREAKIN HOURS!!!

But yeah, it's a great exploitative show that I will thoroughly enjoy watching!

On the same note, if you have FIT TV on your satellite dish, I noticed a show the other night LATE about these Aussie's who are losing weight. Like four different people and I saw a couple of episodes. Was interesting, sorta like the same idea as the challenges on the Discovery Channel, but in Australia. Anyone see that? I can't think of the name....

FIT TV has some cool stuff on it! I think I'm turning into a weirdo when it comes to working out! SHEESH! HA!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 06:31

Plan: My own
Stats: ***/***/*** Female 5'5"
BF:100%
Progress: 6%

Anyone see how they had to add in the end that they were watched by professionals and doctors?
5 hours of exercise is not good for some of those people right now, or a 22lb weightloss in one week. (although I am sure we would all love it)
If you're going to vomit while exercising like that one guy did, it obviously isn't good!
I am kind of disappointed (in NBC) in the fact that they have all their fav foods there ready for them to cheat. I know they need some temptation but do we have all of our favorite foods here, just sitting around?