Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 11:45
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%
Default Rebounder for exercise

Has anybody tried a rebounder (mini-trampoline) for exercise? It's supposed to give you a great cardio workout and I was thinking about trying it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 05:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Rebounding info

Hi. I've had one for years, but never really stayed with it long enough to form an opinion. After seeing your post I was thinking I might give it another try. Here's what I found that really makes it sound good:
  • It increases the lymphatic system's circulation (the body's waste removal system), ultimately improving the efficiency of the immune system.
  • It increases bone density because it actually strengthens the skeleton. which makes it a great exercise for preventing osteoporosis.
  • Because of the increase in lymphatic system circulation, it also works to tone and tighten the skin – like giving yourself a facial.
How it works:

There are three natural forces: gravity, acceleration, and deceleration. The purpose of rebounding is to line up acceleration and deceleration with gravity. The G Force factor is what gives you all the benefits of rebounding. Your body weight is equal to 1 G Force.

When you start bouncing up and down, your body is subjected to the forces of acceleration and deceleration plus gravity. This combination of forces creates an increase in G Force – each and every cell feels this increase which is the equivalent of doubling your weight. In response to being placed in this environment, the cells adjust by getting stronger, individually. Each and every cell gets stronger – not just muscle cells (like when you pump up in the gym).
Rebounding also cleanses cells because the lymphatic system is activated by this type of activity; the cells are constantly being flushed of metabolic waste and saturated with oxygen, nutrients, enzymes etc. The rate of diffusion of water through cell membranes is increased because rebounding activates one way valves in the veins of the lymphatic system. When pressure is below the valves, the valves open (during acceleration, or as you are rising upward on the bounce). When pressure is above the valves, they stay closed (deceleration).

Are you going to start rebounding? Come by my journal and let me know how it's going. I think I'll do it today and see how it goes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 08:43

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

I hated mine. I was so jazzed to use it but the stupid thing barely lets you bounce. I LOVE a big trampoline but I found the rebounder to be nothing like it. I suggest you try one out before you buy and jump on it for at least 5 min before you make a decision. It was very boring for me and I was so happy when my new puppy chewed it up!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 09:12

Plan: Walker Diet
Stats: 238/227.4/165 Female 68inches
BF:44.9/42.8/25
Progress: 15%

Wow Galatia, thanks for posting the info! I have one too, my chiroprator actually encouraged me to get one, said it helps the heart but also core strength to stabilize the spine, I used it wrong and injured myself and it has sat ever since....instead of bouncing on it I was jogging, which is a huge no no and really tests the joints....I think I'll dust mine off and get started this week!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 13:22
Just keep swimming

Thanks for the great information! I'll certainly let you all know if I give it a try!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 15:50
Fu Fu Kitty

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/236/175 Female 5' 5.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

That reminds me that I have one of those, too. I use to use it, but when I moved, it got put in the basement and I just went onto different things.
I would listen to some really good music and exercise on it. I also used it for jogging inside. I couldn't afford a treadmill. And I'd put some small weights in my hands so that I could tone my arms at the same time.
I think I'll get mine out of the basement and use it when the weather gets cold and I can't exercise outside anymore. I can alternate that with my step rountines and tapes.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 22:58
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

You're not supposed to jog on it? I do that all the time, after reading about it on some other Web sites (and here, too, I think). I love mine.

I just started doing "Escape Your Shape" and I do the jumping jacks/jump rope part on the rebounder (but without the rope).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 10:14
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have a rebounder. I jump around on it in front of MTV. Pretty fun.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:20

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

I'm going to go and buy one but does anyone know if there are any videos/dvd's with specific exercises on the rebounder?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 15:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

There is a video that has gotten good reviews, though I've never seen it, it's called Cardio Bounce. I looked it up on the internet. I used my rebounder today for the first time in a long time, and it was pretty fun actually. I did it after my weight training, and jumped on it in front of a mirror with aerobic type music playing. I only jumped for 20 mins. But actually felt more energy when I was finished! One big suggestion is.....make sure you have a really good support bra on. I have a really tight sports bra that I wore and it did fine.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 01:16
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I just got some videos/DVDs from Urban Rebounder. I'm going to try one of the workouts tomorrow, so I'll post afterward.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 07:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?

Would we get the same benefit from a trampoline? We just got one for the kids so if it were as good as a rebounder I'd give it a shot.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 07:29

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by di52
Would we get the same benefit from a trampoline? We just got one for the kids so if it were as good as a rebounder I'd give it a shot.

Trampolines are awesome!! I personally think they take a lot more effort than a rebounder and they're sooo much more fun!!! Go for it!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 09:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?

Yee-ha! As soon as it stops raining.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:31
Just keep swimming

Okay, I'm trying to rebound! It's harder than it sounds, but it is kind of fun! For me, the sports bra is a must - otherwise, I'm afraid my boobs might hit me in the chin and knock me out!