Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Flutterby
From 2 insulin shots to NONE!
Posted by simplydawn
Posted Thu, Apr-29-04
Female 5'4
Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default From 2 insulin shots to NONE!

I have not arrived at my goal weight YET, but I did want to take a minute or two and share my success I have had with low carbing so far. I hope that my sharing will provide some inspiration and encouragement to someone just starting or struggling.

In January of this year, I went to the Dr..and the blood work was awful...my cholesterol levels were skyrocketing as were my blood glucose levels. The Dr told me frankly that if I didnt have a heart attack, then my kidneys were going to shut down..either one or the other was going to happen. It wasnt a pretty picture, and it pretty well scared the 'snot' right out of me. Just turning 39, I had blood work of a 70 yr old!

So, I decided to low carb. After weeks of reading, devouring everything I could online and in print... I began cutting back even while reading..eliminating bread from my diet the week before I officially began to l/c.

By March 22 2004, the Doctor took me off of insulin injections, of which I had been taking 2 doses daily. I have now lost 22 lbs since the beginning of February.

I just encourage those that have health issues, to persevere..keep plugging along, doing the things that you need to do... don't get discouraged if the weight isnt coming off, because it WILL, sometimes it just takes time for your body to begin to heal and the benefits are definitely worth it. If you read over my journal, you will see I had bad days, feel sorry for myself days, and very cheery days.. its all part of the journey... and I am so glad I decided to travel this path of low carbing because I am feeling so much better and its beginning to show on the outside as well as the internal changes such as my blood work results which showed all the cholesterols under where they are supposed to be.. a dramatic change, and my hemoglobin A1c from a 12.8 to a 7.8 in only 2 months!

Hang tight...you CAN do it!

Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
After
Not uploaded yet

by cartmanis on Fri, Apr-30-04, 05:12

That's great, glad you were able to change your life so dramatically

11 comments [read all comments]