Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 05:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default So, who takes all the supplements recommended by the Eades?

Not I.

I've done it in the past, though. Trouble is, it's so expensive, and I was taking a minimum of 11 pills every morning and another 11 every night. Nor did I feel any different. That may be misleading, though, since they could have been doing a really good job at the "cell level."

Now the only pills I take are my daily birth-control pill (to counteract heavy periods -- I take them every day, no days off, so I never have a period), and 2 magnesium tablets in the morning to help with getting things moving.

And you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 06:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Great question! I, too, do not take everything that the Eade's recommend. I think I come fairly close, though. When I first began LC and was doing Atkins, I became supplement obsessed. I was taking everything, chromium, carnitine, CoQ10, just to name a few. It put a hole in my pocketbook and didn't have any positive effect on my weightloss. I cut way back last year, and lost all of my weight while just taking Twinlab Daily One Multi w/o Iron, a Cal/Mg/Zn pill, and about 2g of Vitamin C. I haven't changed my regimin since. I also take my daily birth control pill (Loestrin) so I actually have a period. I had stopped taking one a couple years ago and went for 7 months without having a period, and only by taking pill was able to get going again. I also take synthroid, the lowest dose, for my underactive thyroid. I take it in the morning, just after eating breakfast, which is not advised. I also do not swallow it. I put it under my tongue and let it dissolve. I think that's why it's okay that I take it with food, b/c I have it dissolve directly into the bloodstream. Again, I started doing this around the time I started to lose weight, so it's also something I won't change now
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 10:19

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i too, do not take what is recomended.

i take a daily multivitimin once a day (usually with dinner) and evening primrose oil twice a day (to counteract pms and midcycle symptoms. actually this is my first month taking that and the dose recomended my my doc was 3x a day, but i have too much trouble remembering or being able to take the midday one)

a couple of years ago i did a program at my gym that had me taking a bunch of supplements. they actually made me feel wierd. i really don't like taking a ton of stuff. i am considering adding a calcium/mag supplement also since it was also recommended by my doc for fighting the pms/cycle symptoms i am having. i am waiting to see how the primrose does first though.

good question!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 08:12

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

I do not either, I do take a multi,krill oil (good fishy oil),hyl. acid oil(good for skin!),calcium,and sometimes I do add a liquid fiber to things. The Eades had some great ideas, but every one's needs are so different!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 11:27

Plan: General LC/Protein Power
Stats: 158.8/142/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I wish I could afford to take more of the supplements (ie. chromium for my monthly cravings), but I religiously take a daily multi and a calcium, magnesium, zinc. My grad school budget does not allow for more than this.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 12:25
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

I dont take all that is reccomended.. but I do take:

Multi vitamin
Chromium P.
Flax oil
Relacore ( just started that last week- to target the cortisol/belly fat)
Oil of Oregano - I have began taking that last month, 2 weeks on, this week was off.
Folic Acid
Mag/Cal
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 20:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I take potassium, a multiple vitamin w/o iron, vitamin E on occasion. I feel better when I take potassium and I think that is pretty much all I need. It is all I feel like taking.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 07:52

Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

I take potassium too, it has made a difference with my leg cramps. I also take synthroid, 150 mg.

Dawn - I just heard about Relacore, let me know how it works for you.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 08:43
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default relacore-moods

Relacore- not sure that this is for me.. I am actually going to stop taking it for a couple of days and see if that is what is triggering my moodiness.. I just have been feeling a little 'off' since beginning taking it, and not sure if it is that, or just 'life'.......

Will see.. I have been reading about upping Vit. C for the same thing, lowering cortisol-attacking belly fat.. perhaps, that is all I need... If my mood changes back to not feeling like there is a bomb to drop on me any moment, then I will attribute it to the relacore for me.. if not..then I will go back on it, and tough it out for the month.

Love and Laughter,
Dawn
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

What is the best source for reading about all the supplements? I have my nursing drug books but they actually don't provide much info on this subject. I feel very underread when it comes to supplements/vitamins/minerals and effects on low carb. I read the section in PP but I think I could use more info. I only take MVI, baby aspirin, and Omega 3 capsule. THerese
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 09:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

PP Lifeplan goes into vitamin and mineral supplements extensively.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 09:54

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

I have Dr. Atkins Vitanutrient Solution, which is a very comprehensive resource designed to help you choose your vitamins/minerals based on your particular health concerns.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/213/199 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I take:

Calcium
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Conjugated Linoleic Acid
L-Carnitine
Glucosamine (for joint problems)

I just bought Alpha Lipoic Acid today.

I plan to get the Q10 and Magnesium they recommend, but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm worried I'm getting too many carbs from the glycerin in all of these pills!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 08:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't take everything they recommend. I'm currently taking:

- a multi
- Udo's Choice for EFAs
- extra evening primrose oil for PMS symptoms
- oil of oregano for acne and allergies
- a gram or so of vitamin C
- chromium (I'm inconsistant with it)
- calcium/magnesium (ditto with the inconsistancy)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 23:03

Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%

All my supplemnt are right here by my puter. I do not take them all at the same time but I spread them troughout the day and I try to combine some with oil.
I start the day by combining a capsule of flaxseed oil with CoQ10 both broken in my mouth and well mixed before I swallow...Later I combine a capsule of fish oil (omega3) with centrum select multi-vit.....As I drink plenty of water, I take a 600mg Potassium.....Vit e....vit C...650mg calcium and the odd day I take glucosamine sulphate 500mg. Now I can't really say for sure if these have helped me a lot. Vitamin C and Vitamin e, I have taken for a long time but the others are more recent. Some days, I don't take them all.