Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/243/180 Male 6 0
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default The Today Show - subject low carb eating

I was watching the Today Show today. Did anyone else see it? They had a guy on there discussing the low carb WOE.

Anyway he was discussing all the diet wars lately and that everyone should just agree to disagree sort of. He said that its important to cut out all the refined sugar bad carbs but to also eat the good carbs such as fruit, veggies, and whole grains.

He said that its also important to cut out the red meat and limit your calories. He said you will lose more weight this way. The longer I do Atkins the more I am leaning towards a low carb lifestyle instead of an Atkins lifestyle per say.

What are everyones feelings on this subject? Do you feel the Atkins WOE is better or just plain "low carb". I am really thinking about doing another clean induction and then slowly introducing fruits and grains but staying completely away from the refined sugar. Anyone care to join this challenge?

Sugarfreak
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

That would be Ornish; If you want to look and act like him, feel free. His spiel is not only wrong, but is not supported by any unrigged, or nonpolitical, double blind studies.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:31

Stats: 263/243/180 Male 6 0
BF:
Progress: 24%

whats funny is that he actually pretty much agrees with the Atkins plan minus the red meat. And the Atkins people are backing off the idea of eating so much red meat anyway. So are you saying Atkins was a quack also?

Why would eating low carb but with some healthy fruit and grains be bad for you? Makes sense to me. It obviously made sense to Atkins too because he wrote about adding those things in your diet in DANDR.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:36
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I respectfully disagree with the idea that the guy (Ornish) and Atkins agree on anything -- except eating more veggies. Ornish is a fanatic who would have us eat no fat at all, versus Atkins who created a realtively high fat diet.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 14:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

There's an article from Time Magazine posted here which was similar to this interview.

Dr Ornish appears to have lost a large chunk of his following and is probably commenting on LC just as a publicity schpeel. He continues to parrot the old myth that if you eat protein and carbs instead of fat, you'll lose weight because they have fewer calories. Yeah, right. Been there, done that, ate the T shirt when I was hungry an hour later (it was high in fiber and low in fat.)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreak
whats funny is that he actually pretty much agrees with the Atkins plan minus the red meat. And the Atkins people are backing off the idea of eating so much red meat anyway. So are you saying Atkins was a quack also?

Wrong. Atkins Nutritionals made the comment about cutting back on red meat, then backed off. Probably to pacify tehh LF followers.
Dr Atkins himself NEVER said that. He knew red meat was healthy and grains weren't.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Where did Atkins say grains were BAD? If they were, he would never have said to add them back slowly in later OWL or pre-maintenance...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
the Atkins people are backing off the idea of eating so much red meat anyway. So are you saying Atkins was a quack also?

I think you may be referring to a report a while back that claimed that Colleen Heimowitz from Atkins Nutritionals is endorsing limting saturated fat. In fact, that was a misquote (retractions were later published by the original source) and The Atkins website sets the record straight here: http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/1/20-407355.html

Quote:
I am really thinking about doing another clean induction and then slowly introducing fruits and grains but staying completely away from the refined sugar.

Maybe I missed something, but that sounds almost exactly what is recommended in DANDR. The rate at which those foods are re-introduced during OWL, pre-maintainence and maintainence is up to the individual and depends on their individual tolerance for such foods, but nowhere in Dr. Atkins' books does it advise restricting fruit and whole grains forever unless you find that you have an intolerance for them.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:27

Stats: 225/215/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I saw him, and heard him. Quack, quack!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Where did Atkins say grains were BAD? If they were, he would never have said to add them back slowly in later OWL or pre-maintenance...

Let me rephrase that. I meant refined processed grains, or the amount of grains that Ornish pushes are bad.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreak
I was watching the Today Show today. Did anyone else see it? They had a guy on there discussing the low carb WOE.

Anyway he was discussing all the diet wars lately and that everyone should just agree to disagree sort of. He said that its important to cut out all the refined sugar bad carbs but to also eat the good carbs such as fruit, veggies, and whole grains.

He said that its also important to cut out the red meat and limit your calories. He said you will lose more weight this way. The longer I do Atkins the more I am leaning towards a low carb lifestyle instead of an Atkins lifestyle per say.

What are everyones feelings on this subject? Do you feel the Atkins WOE is better or just plain "low carb". I am really thinking about doing another clean induction and then slowly introducing fruits and grains but staying completely away from the refined sugar. Anyone care to join this challenge?

Sugarfreak

The great thing about Atkins is that it is a diet which encourages customazation.

I've modified my plan a little bit to give more of a spotlight for calorie control (which means using reduced fat products). Cutting calories from fats a little bit allows me to eat a bit more fruit and things like that. It works for me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 22:07

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Dr Ornish appears to have lost a large chunk of his following and is probably commenting on LC just as a publicity schpeel. He continues to parrot the old myth that if you eat protein and carbs instead of fat, you'll lose weight because they have fewer calories.

Ornish is just as fanatic as Atkins (on opposite ends)
His plan does work for some people, and I think improves some heart patients. Low cal/low fat does work for quite a few people. Low carb just works better for the rest of us.

Having said that how on Earth could one follow such a low fat plan and stay sane!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 22:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:

They can't;look at Ornish.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 00:28

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Refined processed grains are bad because they have gone through so much processing that they break down in the body much too quickly causing insulin reactions which end up causing low blood sugar, which leads to a never-ending cycle of eating carbs to try to keep blood sugars in control, when cutting out the refined carbs does the trick perfectly. Example: Have a bowl of cereal with milk, a piece of toast and fruit for breakfast (like the 'healthy' breakfast pictured on nearly every cereal box in America) IF you can gag that many carbs down in one meal. Within two hours you're so hungry you can't see straight, have the shakes and feel nearly like passing out. Or have a couple of eggs, maybe made into an omelette with veggies and cheese, and perhaps a piece of whole-grain toast on the side and see how long your body runs on that--likely as not, it'll make it until almost noon before you start feeling hungry, and you honestly feel hungry with no shakes or passing out.

Another real problem I see with processed flours is that almost everything made with them also contains processed sugar and trans-fats.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Willet/Balanced
Stats: 174/151/150 Male 5'10"
BF:24%/18%/10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
Refined processed grains are bad because they have gone through so much processing that they break down in the body much too quickly causing insulin reactions which end up causing low blood sugar, which leads to a never-ending cycle of eating carbs to try to keep blood sugars in control, when cutting out the refined carbs does the trick perfectly.
This is consistent with the glycemic index concept... something that has become mainstream.

Quote:
Example: Have a bowl of cereal with milk, a piece of toast and fruit for breakfast (like the 'healthy' breakfast pictured on nearly every cereal box in America) IF you can gag that many carbs down in one meal. Within two hours you're so hungry you can't see straight, have the shakes and feel nearly like passing out. Or have a couple of eggs, maybe made into an omelette with veggies and cheese, and perhaps a piece of whole-grain toast on the side and see how long your body runs on that--likely as not, it'll make it until almost noon before you start feeling hungry, and you honestly feel hungry with no shakes or passing out.

Depends on the individual; some are more sensitive to it than others. I often have Cheerios with fruit for breakfast, but not toast at the same time. I can make it to lunch no problem, though I've trained my body to eat a midmorning snack. I also enjoy the veggie omelette w/cheese & whole grain toast option, but time constraints force me to limit it to weekends.