Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%
Unhappy Low Carb stuff in NZ

Hi,

I'm new to this, so haven't done an awful lot of scouting around, but does any one know of good places in NZ for low carb stuff. I've heard some of you aussies talking about low fat cadbury chocolate, but can't find it here. Also is there anywhere that sells the atkins food range or do I need to order it online?

Lesley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 17:03

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Lesley. Im new too.
Ive never seen the Atkins stuff for sale here but Jok'nAl do a great range of no sugar low carb jams, pickles sauces etc.
I think we are lucky in the way we have such a great choice of fresh naturally (outside eating grass) raised meat etc in our country and all the fresh fruit and veg.I see you live in Wellington , is it windy there today? It is cold and miserable noth of Auckland where I live on a 7,000 acre sheep and cattle farm.
What made you pick Atkins and what day are you on?
Maybe we can do it together?
Attached Images
File Type: gif enfold54.gif (1.2 KB, 78 views)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 18:58

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Default NZers

Hi Bloom

It's a pearler in Wellington! No wind and lots of sun

I started on Aitkins purely by chance - a local bookshop was promoting the book, and I had a bit of a browse at it, liked what I saw and bought it.

My theory was that I would give the two weeks a go, and see what happened - one week in and 8lbs down can't be a bad thing. Interestingly all of the things the book said would happen to me, have!

I'm confident that I can stick at it. What about you - how is your progress?

Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 22:28

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Well Arn't you lucky and i thought Wellington was supposed to get all the wind.I had to go out this afternoon and drive though 100's of sheep in the mud, opening and shutting gates and getting wet yuk!!

8lb in one week WOW

Im thinking that this (new?) Schwarzbein Principle might be a good one that I can stick with. If my blood sugar gets too low I feel like I want to die!! so dont want to go tooo low on the carbs, just need to stick with a few really unrefined ones, and eat a little every 4 hours From what I read about it here it sounds good and maybe rather like Sugar Busters, (I shy away from a diet that says you can never eat a carrot, banana or a slice watermelon, to me thats rather unnecessary.) I been following that to a point the last 5 days and lost a couple of pounds.
I hope to find something i can really latch onto and stick with for the long haul otherwise Im likely to adapt my own.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:42

Stats: 280/242/190 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress:
Default NZ Supplies

I found a shop in Auckland that sells some low carb food,including chocolate,protien bars,bread and muffin mixes,plus various liquid shakes etc.Go to www.nocarb.co.nz
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins new diet revoluti
Stats: 292.6/250/130 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default hi

i am LC and found that the PAMS brand have alot of stuff that are low carb (or so they say) brought this yummy mayonnise that said no carbs and no sugar anyone else tryed it
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 01:24

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Default lo carb stuff

Hi, I'm from Auckland..You can get some Atkins products at the New World supermarket in Ponsonby,So it may pay to check with your local to see if they can order stuff for you.
The EAS Carb nutrition bars can be purchased at woolworths and foodtown and some taste o.k they are pretty expensive at $4.79 a bar but have a special on this week for $2.59..I've bought a few to keep in handbag/glovebox.They also sell Cadbury Lite Choccy for $2.95 a bar, alongside the regular choc.
Lesleyc..in Auckland, Wellington and Palmerston{ i think} There is a company called Davies Trading..You'll have to look in the phone book for the actual street address,but they do sell direct to the public and sell every sort of nut,including ground hazlenuts/almonds,also soy flour,wheat gluten flour..plus extra bits and pieces that will come in handy..zip lock plastic bags[for storing those nuts!!] and rolls of baking paper..for all your low carb crackers that you may want to make for pate,cheese etc!!
The prices are GREAT compared to supermarkets i.e Macadamia nuts in supermarkets at $40+ a kilo,are only $28.Kg
As far as Atkins products go..I have easily survived the last 10 1/2 months without any,if you check in the recipe forum you can pick up recipes for several variations of "fake"atkins bakemix which work fine,especially for tortilla/wraps etc,theres quite a few low carb bread recipes for breadmakers,which are nice to make and freeze for the odd BLT.
Sorry this is so lengthy! but another good idea is to get the 500 low carb cookbook by Dana Carpender..available at Dymocks $29.99 This is a really great basic everyday cooking book,nothing too fancy or hard..we have enjoyed all the recipes so far.
Anyway once again,sorry for raving! but i hope this is of some help.