Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 19:16

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

sorry for putting this on here guys and gals but i wanted everyone to see it so they could give me their comments

i did my first lift tonight [lower body] and i drank a protein shake pwo.
i did step-ups / "sissy" squats / lunges / leg extensions / and inner thigh squats followed by 20 min of walking on the treadmill
i did 3 sets of 12 reps
im working out with a lady that personal trains so she was teaching me everything
i had tons of fun.. and got really sweaty! [i havent worked out in 2 wks bc ive been sick]

but here is a question.. since im lifting mwf and planning to carb up tuesday/saturday. do you think that i should carb up on tuesday since today was my 1st lift?

thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Bump. This should probably be a sticky.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Ideal Diet
Stats: 193/174/179 Male 6' 2.5"
BF:17.1%/15.0%/9%
Progress: 136%

It seems the NHE book has been out since the year 2000 and yet it doesn't seem there has been much discussion of the program on this forum until this year. Does anyone know of other forums with users on the program for several years? I'm just curious to know how it has worked for people using it for 2 years or more.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 16:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi All:

This is a great thread to find other NHEers.

I've just finished reading NHE for the 2nd time and I do get a bit frustrated with the lack of info for macronutrients. I noticed in one study he referred to, Rob used an example of moderate fat as 32%. I kinda thought low fat was 20%, moderate fat was 50% and high fat was 70%. So it's good to see that others are eating about the same amount of fat as me.

I've only been carbing up for my last meal, which turns out to be my bedtime snack. Problem is that I'm eating a lot as my last meal. I tried carbups around 8 pm, but I was ravenously hungry about 1 hour later. So now I leave it till about 9 pm. I've considered splitting it in 2 meals, but I gain weight really quick and lose it really slow. Anyone with the same wonderful metabolism have success with the 2 carbup meals? Since the carbup minimum is pretty low for women, I'm wondering how successful this would be for me.

Mithridate, I've searched high and low but haven't found another forum that discusses NHE. I wish extique.com would consider one.

Wanda
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 16:50

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

I've tried it with one meal and with two. I'm sticking with only one meal right now because I believe I was overeating with two. It seems that I have a difficult time controling my consumption of carbs after I eat the 1st meal. If I eat the first meal too early, I find my weak self eating carbs the rest of the night. SO... I've decided that I will have the carbup meal right before I go to bed.
It seems to help me control my eating better. But it is a BIG meal... usually oatmeal. I'd say about 800 calories worth.

I've been doing the program for just over a month now and I feel good about my progress.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 17:45
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi mps:

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was of afraid happening to me if I have 2 meals and I KNOW I'm getting in enough carbs at the one meal so it really shouldn't be an issue for me.

LOL, as I eat my meal at 9 pm, I hear all the experts out there who advise to stop eating after 7 pm. If it wasn't for Rob advising to finish the carb up 90 minutes before bedtime, I'd probably be eating at 10:30 pm.

I can't remember when I started, but it was probably in around March. I've read a lot of books about nutrition and hormones and I really like this one the best. It's workable and enjoyable.

Thanks again.

Wanda
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 14:33

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Carbups are the last one or two meals of the day, always AFTER working out (you can work out again the next day if you wish, 24 hours later).

I just wanted to clarify this for those who don't have the book. I was thinking it meant 24 hours after the carb-up. Nope. You can work out the next day, but your weight WORKOUTS should be seperated by at least 20 hours. Moderate volume cardio does'nt really need to wait that long though.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 16:22
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi MPS:

I was a bit confused by this issue before and want to clarify if I'm understanding the book correctly.
  1. There's no mention in the book about timing workouts after/before carbups (except that you'll never have a carbup before a workout b/c it's the last meal of the day). The issue of carbing up the day of lifting or day after lifting is six of one/half a dozen of the other.
  2. Weight workouts should never be less than 20 hours between sessions. This is a separate issue from #1.
Is this right?

Wanda
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 09:42

Progress:

Yes, you are right. The 'rules' about workouts and the 'rules' about carbups are basically seperate. Weight workouts should be at least 20 hours apart and not more than 4 days/week. Other than that it doesn't really matter where it falls into the eating schedual. A workout would never come directly after a carbup because it is the last meal of the day.
I personally have not noticed any difference in the quality of a workout whether or not it is the day after a carbup or a couple days later. I assume we store enough glycogen for the workouts by carbing up 2 days per week that the timing of the workouts is not an issue.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Ideal Diet
Stats: 193/174/179 Male 6' 2.5"
BF:17.1%/15.0%/9%
Progress: 136%

I go running first thing in the morning after a carb up day all the time. I find those to be some of my best runs although I don't have enough statistical data yet to see if there is a true correlation, yet. I don't see why you couldn't workout with weights first thing in the morning after a carbup night either as long as your last weight workout wasn't the afternoon before the carbup. Even that has nothing to do with carbup timing, so much as with spacing workouts.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 19:14

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

May I ask - why can't you eat fat and protein with your carb up?
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 19:30

Progress:

The main reason is that you will probably store the fat because of the high insulin and high overall calories. The protein (seperate from the carb source ie: protein in your bagel or pasta doesn't really matter) will fill you up (so you can't eat as many carbs) and will slow the insulin spike because it slows gastric emptying.
Also, since glycogen replenishment occurs before fat storage from carbs, it is possible to lose fat during the carb up. Carbs go to glycogen... body continues to burn fat.
This is why pizza would not be the best choice if your trying to lose fat.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 20:34

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

It wouldn't be the best choice, but would it really hurt your lean bulk process to have pizza one night a week (as the one and only carb-up)? I just ask because I have been doing Atkins for 9 months without one single cheat and REALLY want some pizza. Thanks
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Won't kill ya. Fill yer boots!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 03:10

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
I was thinking bulking might not be a bad idea because w0rd is so lean NOW, but PERSONALLY, since I find bulking EASY and cutting HARD, I would opt to cut for summer, then bulk for the winter, even if it IS sub optimal. Either way would be fun, though!

So what's the recommended cycling interval? 1 month on each, 6 weeks on each? 8 weeks bulking and 5 weeks cutting? varries with your goals? I'm confused on this issue