Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 19:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzame
Lisa AC..... i know what you mean about the 24 cheese slices... and NO.. lock on fridge is not a bad idea cuz i did it !

Lisa N.... thanks .. will look into it.

Dixiemamma..... I do not feed my kids crap... ..... for one thing... and.. my problem is when they are not getting these damn treats from me they are getting them at school or from friends...... or with my eldest daughter she has her own money and buys things when she is with her friends to "hide" when i limit her "crap".... It is a BATTLE........ you win the "mother of the year award"! As for me with my kids i am battling and as some who are where i am can tell you.. It is tuff.
Don't blame everything on your Mother... i am sure you made your own choices when she wasn't around.

ohhhhhh I am so sorry... I think you took me wrong or at least my tone wrong. It is so hard to say stuff on a computer when you can't see people actually saying it. I wasn't saying anything bad about you, I promise! TRUST me, I know it is a battle. I am constantly telling mine no all day long. Especially when we go somewhere. I am sure they think I am the meanest from me telling them no all the time. Mine are still small (oldest is 7) so they aren't away from me that much. I wasn't meaning anything more than what the others said about keeping junk away from the house. I know it is hard.. I am very sorry I came across sounding mean.. really.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My son has a big appetite for other reasons. He's on seizure meds and they really made him gain at first. This was a good thing since he was underweight before and the first med I had him on had the opposite effect.

If he had his way, he'd go for spaghetti every meal. I've had to learn not to do battle over food, but let HIM help prepare the meal, put the healthy choices in front of him, then back off... I shoot for 90-10% healthy to "treat", although some days it's 100% healthy, and some days I'm lucky to get 50-50!!

Sneaky substitutions like 1% milk for whole, 90% lean hamburger for the 80%, chicken breasts rolled in chopped nuts and baked instead of his beloved deep-fried, breaded chicken strips...oh, and the best trick I've found yet! He loves chinese food. If I served him a bowl of plain broccoli, I'd get "the look". If I serve it as part of a mixture with chicken and snap peas, and call it "Chinese Food like at the mall" he's all over it. <shrug> I'm not above trickery to get my way.

Next mission....slipping no-sugar-added frozen yogurt in for ice cream. I'm starting with the chocolate flavor, since I'm thinking he won't CARE as long as it's chocolate!

As for the school things and parties, I don't sweat it if he's getting good stuff most of the time.

So far, his weight is coming into line with his height. He's had some major surgery, which meant he lost a lot of weight and a lot of muscle. He tends to overcompensate and get "chunky" for a while, but I think it's getting back to normal.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 06:05

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Problem is, mine doesn't take the word NO very well. He has a mild Autism, so if I tell him no, there is usually screaming, yelling, throwing things at me, trying to bite me or..he just stalks me and keeps asking, or stalks me to try and hit me.

If I lock the fridge, he'll beat the door, jerk it till the chain rattles. LMAO, it gets interesting. But still, no means, NO. And mine will just have to accept it.

My aunt suggested having a lockable box in the fridge instead of locking the whole fridge, but I can see it now...he gets a hammer, rock, or throws the box trying to break it. What a disaster that would be.

I have a closet I keep locked with a combination lock and I caught him one day with a screwdriver undoing the screws. LOL. So, I put the screwdriver in there too.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/300/175 Female 5 "8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

LisaAC.. u got ur hands full.... sometimes it is just sooooo much easier to give in huh?.... but where does that get us!
My heart goes out to you in dealing with your son.... only you know what is the best way to handle him.... i am sure you are doing fine.

Potatofree... You are a sneak.. I LOVE IT!!! LOL.. i am going to try some of your sneaky ways with my kids food
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:28

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've also found a few ways to "sneak" in better things. I found out that the low carb fat free milk I get tastes exactly like the low fat regular milk. My son even can't tell the difference.

He loves cold greentea. I was out of sugar, so I put in stevia. Again, he can't tell the difference and I for one am not going to tell him.