Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%

Originally posted by Lisa N:

Quote:
Here's a thought for you: maybe you were in ketosis but you weren't losing any weight because a) you were keeping your carbs way too low or b) your body was lacking in protein before and was using the new adequate amounts to rebuild muscle and make repairs or c) your body already thinks it's AT a good weight and doesn't want you to lose any more. It could even be a combination of all 3. I would think it a rare person who could be consuming ultra low amounts of carbs (well below 20 grams per day) and not be in ketosis even if they aren't losing weight.
If the latter is the case, then excercise and toning will get you the results you are looking for; a smaller, leaner body without any further weight loss.
Any way you look at it, it's going to take effort and commitment to get any further results.

Maybe so but like i said before, i never felt it. I also made many mistakes like eatin way too much proteins and very few healthy fats, drinking little water, and not having any veggies at all...i avoided ALL CARBS. I have a better understanding now and i can diet better than before, this WOE is great and the Forum even better . I would have kept makin those mistakes if i hadn't come up here and found out about them so i'm glad i found this site
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/196/199 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Thanks for the info built...
Wnnabethin, where in florida are you from, I am up in the panhandle.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Bluefire9!

I'm down here in Miami.. home of the Miami Heats, Dolphins, and the Florida Marlins!!! =)
  #64   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/204/160 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

let me get this straight-you wanna be thin, and your starting weight was 120lbs?
ummm, if thats not thin, then what is?
is this a joke? are you really serious? I highly doubt it.
Why would anybody want to weigh 97lbs?
  #65   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there -

While I think 97 may be a hair on the skinny side for my taste, wnnabethin IS only 5'1" tall. I'm thinking she probably looks very thin now, but without seeing pix, we don't know what her build is - if wnnabethin has tiny bones (for example, many Asians are very slightly built), this may not be entirely out of line.

My personal feelig is that if she puts on a bit of muscle, and starts concentrating on % bf rather than weight, she'll probably look better. To me, anyway.

Sorry to 3rd person you, wnnabethin. Why don't you post up some pix so you can get some objective 3rd person removed suggestions?
  #66   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 22:09

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

I'm 5'1" and haven't been that thin... not sure I want to.

But.. short people often talk about being short.. and so I know several women between 100 and 110 that are 5' or 5'1". I don't see that another 3 lbs lighter would hurt on a small frame.
However I do think it's more important to be healthy, the size you feel comfortable, and realistic.

I do think that is a realistic goal for someone so short if they are fairly small boned and most importantly are comfortable being there while still maintaining a healthy diet!!

Carina
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by nottalozer:

Quote:
let me get this straight-you wanna be thin, and your starting weight was 120lbs?
ummm, if thats not thin, then what is?
is this a joke? are you really serious? I highly doubt it.
Why would anybody want to weigh 97lbs?

Hi Nottalozer,

Your comment made me laugh, thanks. First of all, i must tell you that this isn't a joke at all, why would i come here, read the posts and follow the LC ATKINS Diet if it was all a joke to me? That would be absolutely stupid if you ask me. Second, i am not exactly 5'1(that's what it says on my driver's license) i'm much shorter than that, i'm 4'11 to be exact. Now a healthy weight for my height is i believe 97lbs, according to my doctor. My build is big so i don't wanna lose weight more than i want to lose body fat. Now, having told you this, does it still sound like a joke?
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

a good question for you wannabethin is if you had to pick your ideal body on a famous person...who would that be. that might help people guide you with the proper advice for shaping your body in that direction.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:38
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by Liftnlady:

Quote:
a good question for you wannabethin is if you had to pick your ideal body on a famous person...who would that be. that might help people guide you with the proper advice for shaping your body in that direction.

To be honest, I don't even want to look like a famous person cos some of them are fake, if you know what i mean. I just wanna have the kind of body i always dream of having, doesn't everybody? I am petite so there isn't much i can do about that but i can shape and tone my body to the way i want it to be and that's what i'm trying to accomplish. At first it was all about losing weight but now is much more than that. Its about becoming part of a lifestyle i never considered before. Its about following a LC diet, working-out, being active, becoming fit, etc. But if you still want an answer for that i would say.... J.Lo.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:50
Registered Member

hmm...well J Lo is not "thin" by any means and from what you described of having a muscular lower half and more petite upper, I would say you are already there. She has a very curvy figure that at 97lbs will be hard to emmulate. What aspects of J.Lo's physique do you find appealing ?

From all that I have read, you just need to drink more water...at least 100oz a day, get your diet ratios in order, you can look at my NHE journal at my daily diet and I would be glad to help you with meals. Join the gym or start start working out at home with free weights or videos. Since you are so tiny and have a small amount of weight for your goal the exercise really is going to be key in getting you where you want to be.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:33
Registered Member

BF:

Listen to liftnlady, wannabethin - she's given you some EXCELLENT advise.

- Built
  #72   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:36
Registered Member

thanks B ...or should I say Queen B...as one of your loyal followers..hehe
  #73   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:59
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, I'm following YOU - you're the one who's actually read the NHE book. I've been outside playing (unseasonably beautiful weather - I've been on my bike all weekend)
  #74   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 18:43
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by liftnlady:

Quote:
What aspects of J.Lo's physique do you find appealing ?

Don't know, i guess her physique. She looks like she aint got a pound of fat! PLus she has a very toned and shaped body and for my build, which is big, i think i could maybe shape my body like . My measurements are 35.5/28.5/36.

Built i went to the gym today and i did some cardio work. I did 15 min of the elliptical machine and 10 of the treadmill and i gotta tell you, it was Hard As Hell!! I could barely stand, really...i was sooo tire, sweating all over, i almost hit the floor lol but i gotta say, it was great!! I'm goin back tomorrow and i'm meeting with a trainer who's gonna show me how to use the machines, i'll remember to mention about the workouts you do so i can do them there as well. Thanks for all the tips, wish me luck

Thakxx to you too Liftnlady, you and built have now become my mentors, i'm following both of you lol
  #75   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 18:51
Registered Member

BF:

Hey there

Glad you're going to have someone help you - but do yourself a favour, and ask your trainer teach you how to lift freeweights - you'll get a LOT more out of your workouts that way.

And focus on your lifting. A lot of gyms have their trainers tell clients to do cardio first, but you'll burn more fat and do more to shape your body if you do your lifting first. Cardio first just makes you too tired to lift, and doesn't burn as much fat as the other way around.

Good luck

- Built