Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/136/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:33.5%/24%/19%
Progress: 98%
Default Dreamfields and Blood Sugar

For a change, if you are a diabetic and take 5 gm of carb witha GI of approximately 12, will it raise your blood sugar similarly over a few hours as the Dreamfields pasta would?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 12:19
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I just had the penne rigati and alfredo sauce last night and OMG be-still my full-blooded italian heart!!!!!!!! It was so good. It cooked al dente perfectly. Good body, great taste! I can have pasta! AND I was down a pound on the scale this morning. MOLTO, MOLTO BENE!!!!!
  #93   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:18

Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%
Smile Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Hi All,

Our Super WalMart has the pasta, bought some last weekend and when I got home I put a small saucepan with water on the stove to boil and threw in some macaroni. I cooked it exactly as they said. I threw it in a bowl with butter, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Oh my gosh, it was fantastic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

DH and I had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner on Sunday, he didn't notice any difference, DH does not lc. The only thing missing was the garlic bread. Had I been thinking I could have used some lc bread with butter and garlic and toasted it in the oven. Will remember next time.

Will catch you all later.

Carol
  #94   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:30

Stats: 146/128/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 113%
Smile Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Hi All,

Our Super WalMart has the pasta, bought some last weekend and when I got home I put a small saucepan with water on the stove to boil and threw in some macaroni. I cooked it exactly as they said. I threw it in a bowl with butter, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Oh my gosh, it was fantastic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

DH and I had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner on Sunday, he didn't notice any difference, DH does not lc. The only thing missing was the garlic bread. Had I been thinking I could have used some lc bread with butter and garlic and toasted it in the oven. Will remember next time.

Will catch you all later.

Carol
  #95   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:26

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I tried it last for dinner yesterday and my Keto sticks have always been dark purple every time I test and this morning it was barely pinkish at all... I think that I will only have this on rare occasion until I am at the maintenance phase of this WOE.

I had not read this thread yet when I made it last night and I have a bowl of leftover waiting for me in the fridge for my dinner tonight.... now I guess I should just dump it even though it was really good because of whats been said here about the "protection" leaving if its refrigerated and so forth.

On the bright side.... I didn't gain anything from eating it...I'm the same exact weight today as yesterday.

Last edited by Lipid : Mon, May-24-04 at 12:01.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 12:14

Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%

Lipid-
How long did you cook the pasta?

I've read that if you over cook it (longer than the time stated on the box) that it breaks down the fiber to a point that you can digest it just like regular pasta.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 17:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Dreamfields Pasta...cooking?

Perhaps if you email the company who makes this pasta about the cooking and storing procedures they may be able to give you the correct information. I may do that myself and if I get an answer I will post it. Personally I would think they would want you to know how to use this product and supply that information on the box. Better to forwarn diabetics of blood sugar rising after cooking too much or eating left-overs, for that could cause a negative response on their sale of this. That is what makes me think that this is not true....or they would tell you how prepare it etc.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 00:02

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Iam Type 2 Diabetic....My BG levels have changed to great since beging atkins....in the none Diabetic range now...I tried Dreamfields twice...first time made spaghetti using Hunts sauce with ground beef,mushrooms and a little onions added...cooked it on the low time of suggested cooking time...was great...no significant BG spike..stayed in Ketosis...second time I made Mac and Cheese...boiled it drained it put back in pan added cheese ect...during this process I reheated to get the cheese to melt good..It was good...within 30 mins my BG spiked 120pts...one hr...126pts....two hrs....back down from 226 to 140 where it stayed most of the day....back to 90 the next morn...Keto went away at least on my sticks....I think reheating it to melt the cheese messed it up....But here is the wierd part next day I was down 2 lbs...lol...go figure....I will use it for spaghetti once in a while for variety....but I would watch how long you cook it..especialy if you are Diabetic...Big John
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 04:50

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi BigJohn--Just wondering... If you deliberately undercooked the pasta before making your mac and cheese (maybe only 4-5 min. to boil instead of the full time), and then let it finish in the oven--would it maybe be better for your reaction? Maybe a good "mad scientist" experiment for next time? Just a thought, but if you do try that and do your testing--please let us know how it turns out for you.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:36

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hey Tess
Yep thats where I probably messed up should have undercooked it than finishing it might not have caused the problems...Been wanting to try some cold pasta salads with it but sorta worried about the stories I have read about eating it right away...wonder if you just drain and cool under tap water and eat it than if a pasta salad would be ok...will probably try that next....but will be a week or so before I do it...Dont want to be using it to much...But will let you all know how it works out....Big John
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 11:06

Stats: 220/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Bought at Shop Rite

just found Dreamfields at our local Shop Rite. Bought lots of linguine, mac, and penna pasta. I also emailed the company about the "over cooking" issue. I ask them if they tested it for that and I also gave them the link to this forum so they can see what everyone is saying about this issue. Hopefully I will get a response and if and when I do I will let you all know what they say.

However, the proof is really in the pudding here. If your testing after reheating and getting bad results then that's probably the only proof we need to go by. I am boarder line diabetic so I do not test myself. I just started to do the low carb so I can lose weight and maybe avoid getting this dreaded disease.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 07:38
Registered Member

Stats: 180/165/155 Female 5' 11''
BF:
Progress:

Hi fabdumplin,

I also live in nyc. I bought mine at a Shoprite in Yonkers on Tuckahoe Road. Take the Deegan North to exit 6 will see the Shoprite off the highway. They had the macaroni and penne. Next time I go there I will request the spagetti.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 10:43

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

Love it! My girls were begging for spaghetti for dinner. I broke down one night while at the store and decided, "What the heck, a little won't kill me." That is when I found the Dreamfields. Everyone loved it. Since then I have made it for my dad and he couldn't tell the difference. It makes a great treat. This summer I will even be able to enjoy my favorite pasta salads!!!
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

OK, now I gotta have it! I went to their website, and they say it won't hit stores til late June, but I've seen other Georgians (Hi Boogie) that have tried it. Please tell me specifically where. I am going by my local Woodstock Walmart today. I am so excited!
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 11:43
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

HOORAY! My local Kroger has it! They looked for it for me, and said it just came in this week. Aisle two!