Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What Gym Should I Join Now that Ive Cancelled My Bally Membership??
Gold's (when it opens!) 2 28.57%
LA Fitness 2 28.57%
24 Hour Fitness 1 14.29%
NONE! I don't believe in gyms!! 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 21:21

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Okay All, Cancelled my Bally Membership, Where do I go Now???

FULL STORY: I love Bally Total Fitness, been there for 3 years, but I cancelled my membership tonight.. because...the location Ive been going to for about a year and a half now.. is getting worse basically.. When we moved, I was all psyched cause theres a Bally's near my house, but its not nearly as well maintained as the original one I went to.. the equipment squeaks, is not clean, is shoddy, the maintenance they do on the equipment is halfassed.. etc.. and it seems every time I go there, yet another piece of cardio equipment squeaks.. I already wrote an email in a month or so ago to complain.. they say they never got it.. and I also told the manager of the club, and he just didnt really seem to be moved by it... so.. whatever.. I take my money elsewhere..

So my choices now are..

Golds (when it opens, dont know when that will be though, emailed them tonight to find out more info..)

LA Fitness

24 Hour Fitness

and well those are my choices... but the thing is, I dont wanna pay all these start up costs and stuff.. with Bally, I walked in and said, look Im not paying a start up fee, and threatened to walk out if they couldnt do it....well, I ended up not having a start up fee.. I plan on doing the same with these clubs but would appreciate any insight or info or suggestions.. THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 22:02

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revol
Stats: 223/223/190 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The Golds that I go to rocks, The gym tends to have a lot more men but I do see some women there. The upper level of my gym is mostly cardio equipment with some ab machines and equipment like that. They have a ton of machines at my location as well. The lower level is all weights and machines for weight lifting. There is a t.v. set in view anywhere you are and there is always some good music playing. The fee isn't bad but there was a 1 time sign up fee of $25.00. My location is super clean, there is always a person that works there vaccuming and wipeing down machines. I love this gym so I would definetly go there . My only thing is that they are not open for 24 hrs but thats not too bad since they open at 5:00 am. Alrighty I hope that helps.......

Take Care and I hope you find the perfect gym

Last edited by Hbmich : Mon, Apr-19-04 at 22:08.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 22:13
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I go ro a rec center in my city and it's great all the above things that Hadi mentioned...check in your city for a recreational center. Price is not bad. 300 a year with no contract.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:19

BF:

Ah thanks you two..

The Golds here isnt open yet.. I cant wait to hear back from them to find out when it will be.. how great would that be, a BRAND NEW GYM.. Mmmmmm... Anyways.. Thanks again... anyone else have ideas??
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Most places will give you a week’s worth of workouts so try as many as possible. Get membership offers in writing. If the gym you really like isn’t offering the best financial terms then you might be able to make a deal more to your liking. Gold’s has a reputation as an old school body builder’s gym. However, my Gold’s has a mixed crowd. I was surprised to see so many 40 somethings and folks like myself who have lots of weight to loose.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:56

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

i think you have to evaluate what is important to you in a gym and evaluate each one:
are lots of classes important or could you not care less?
are free weights and power racks important to you?
are you a cardio-bunny and need lots of treadmills and ellipicals available at peak hours?
what time do you like to go and how crowded is it at that time - and are you ok with that?
do you like a social crowd or are you a heads-down-let-me-get-my-workout-in type?
do you need childcare facilities, a pool, other amenities or just-the-gym please ?

etc.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:58
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I love my Ballys Its huge and really nice (thank goodness)

I used to go to Golds and I thought it was a good gym, but I signed up on one of their super promotions. Otherwise their rates were just too high. They are each individually owned so their rates vary from place to place. They wanted like $69 a month. Their promotion was 299 for 6 months as long as you paid the 299 up front so for those 6 months it was good.

Never tried any of the other places.

Good luck!

hope you find a gym you like.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:12

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revol
Stats: 223/223/190 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow I got a great deal I only paid $99.00 for a full year membership. I love my gym! .
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 21:18

BF:

Alrighty kids.. I joined 24 Hour Fitness.. and I asked if I could prepay the year.. (and get an incentive) and the district manager happened to be in town.. (always a good thing) and he pulled out all kinds of coupons and bonus cards and stuff and gave them to Jackie, the guy who was getting me all set up (I think Jackie was new..)

Anyways.. he said if I wanted to prepay 18 months instead of a year (which was my original question) I could get an additional 18 months for free.. and then each year after that is $99...

It came out to around $16 per month.. I used my graduation money that Ive been saving since December, so it was well spent.. and I still have like, half saved..!!

Im a very happy customer.. Just thought Id share!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 05:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

wow! What an awesome deal, congrats!

hope you like your new gym!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 08:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I really like the 24-Hour Fitness that I go to. It's a brand new facility and they keep it really clean. I've found that when I work out early in the morning or even at lunch it's mostly people like me who aren't 20-something who are there to work out and not "shop". When I go later in the day - especially on Fridays- you'd think you were at the local happy hour with all the "shopping" going on and the makeup!

I think you just need to try out a few different places. If they won't give you a trial membership then it probably isn't worth putting your money into a place. Go at the time when you usually plan to work out so that you'll see how crowded it is.

Good luck. I hope you find a place you'll love. It can make all the difference.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 08:15

Plan: body for life / south beach
Stats: 142/128/112 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 47%

i want a personel trainer
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:58

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default someone called?

Trainer here. Although, RI is a ride from Philly. :P
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdan
Trainer here. Although, RI is a ride from Philly. :P

Rhode Island? I dont know who youre referring to, but Im in Florida..!

And Ive already joined 24 Hour Fitness.. (yesterday) and have been twice.. love it!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

LOL ... I was talking to MonkE ... she said she wanted a trainer ...