Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:13
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Yeah, I was gonna mention that for the most part, it would be the male children who would seize the opportunity to strew around the phony chicken carnage.

For the record, I don't find the thought of these jolly hijinks "amusing" in the least. I see that I need to clarify and qualify or risk the ole' context twisting here..

The whole thing strikes me more as laughably IRONIC, in light of the overwhelming concerns expressed here of kids being severely scarred...and then the probable reality of many of them gleefully amusing themselves with the bloody mess and just not "getting it", or more accurately - not caring at all really.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:21

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Context twisting? I didn't refer to you or PETA at all in my post, so I'm not sure why you're clarifying your position.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 23:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rockerchik, I hope you were just referring to this thread and not the forum in general about the unwelcome bit. That's why we have the War Zone area. PETA and the PCRM have given low carbers nothing but undeserved greif, so don't expect a lot of kindness toward those organizations or its supporters. Concern for animal welfare? Great. Using borderline terrorism and deliberate misinformation as their primary tactic in the name thereof? Nuh-uh.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Mar-26-04 at 08:20.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

These crazed poeple are targeting children becuase they are the most vunerable and impressionable....any child handed a bucket like that would be traumatized for life...those sick disgusting maniacs should be arrested on the spot!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:09
Registered Member

You know, one more comment. My uncle is a butcher, he owns and operates a couple large slaughterhouses, and let me tell you, it is a VERY humane process, I know this for a fact, as I have been fully trained on the kill floor. Animals are treated with dignity - the fact is, they are a food source, and no vegetarian will ever understand that - especially radical vegetarian groups.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:05
RockerChik

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Kristine. No, I have found the LC forum to be a really great place that I try to visit every time I'm online. Of course, I realized that any type of thread concerning PETA had the potential of becoming explosive here in the war zone. I almost didn't come into this thread because I wasn't sure it would be worth it, and a few times I have questioned myself; "Why do I keep writing back on this thread? It's like banging my head against the wall. I'm waaay out-numbered here". But then I feel compelled to respond and be understood, and so I do. But I do recognize the fact that being understood here is proving to be more and more fruitless. As far as alot of you are concerned, I'M standing out infront of your kids' schools passin' out blood buckets. Simply not the case. There are gray areas in all situations as opposed to strictly black or white.

Anyhow, before I responded, this thread was pretty much everybody patting eachother on the back and responding similarly: "Those stupid freaks! I'll kick their butts if I see them! If they come near my kid I'll shove things up their you-know-what! (Hey, nice one! Real sweet! Now THAT'S what I call teachin' yer kids to make nice!) I'll force-feed those freaks greasy drumsticks after I beat them with it!" Etc., etc.

Do you know what I'm saying??? So I decided to shake things up a little bit from the other side of the fence. And I'm neither a terrorist or a freak. I'm just a staunch supporter of animal rights and a fairly recent convert to a non-meat-eating lifestyle. And I mouth off occasionally.

Anyhow, I think that's all I have to say about this, but who knows. Right now, I'm too sick to my stomach after seeing Bushie's little "funny" videotape on the news, mocking his endless search..."Where are them dang weaons of mass destruction? They just GOTS to be around here somewhere!" Am I the only person who finds this the most repulsive thing they've ever seen a president do?!!?!?!?? At a time like this?!?!? Can I ask you why this man is still in office at this moment?!?!?!?
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:25
Registered Member

There is a big difference between being an animal supporter and being an extremist who terrorizes and traumatizes young children with their garbage! Nobody wants to see animals treated cruely in any circumstances, however, that doesn't give PETA the right to act in a manner like this - especially as they haven't provided any concrete proof of cruelty by KFC!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:36
RockerChik

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Like I previously said, nothing is all black or all white. You know what? On the whole "WE HATE EXTREMISTS - DOWN WITH EXTREMISTS" issue...something you might want to keep in mind is that it results from the fact that these so-called "extremists" are frustrated as holy hell and have been ignored and abused by the actual "terrorists" - the people who create and foster horrific conditions for innocent living creatures. Thus the need to make themselves heard in a more extreme manner. Bottom line, PETA is not guilty of torturing or murdering anybody or anything as far as I am aware. You really think some kid is gonna be SCARRED FOR LIFE by a stupid little bucket of fake-blood? That's really going too far and it is just not the case. Get real.

As for calling PETA "terrorists" - you guys are all using that word loosely and inappropriately as far as I am concerned.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:49
Registered Member

Darn right they would be - I have a two year old, and if she was handed a bucket with fake blood and bones and n told it was chickens - of COURSE she would be traumatized...young children do not have the ability to differentiate between fake and real, and when an "adult" is telling them this is real, they will automatically believe it!

Anyone who would INTENTIONALLY choose to go after innocent children as their focus rather than adults in my opinion is an extremist! Perhaps if they were rational in their attacks and approached things properly with ADULTS then they wouldn't have such a bad reputation.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:54
Registered Member

You know, I am guessing you don't have children - because a person who did would have a hell of a lot more compasssion and understanding of innocence!! I feel sorry for you!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:15

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I see they plan to try it in the UK. Ha! I'd like to see them try it round where I live.

The first one to try it on any kid in this area of the UK would find out the taste of real blood, their own from where a furious parent had just punched them in the face.

And scarred for life? Yes, I think it is possible.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:15
RockerChik

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Oof, you guessed wrong, sweetheart. But I have been WAITING for ANYbody in this happy thread to accuse me of being child-less Congratulations! You win the Veggie-burger!

Maybe re-read some of the past threads if you feel so inclined. You know, you should take it easy. By the way, what does your child THINK that you're cooking for dinner while you're hacking away on the ole' cutting board? Magical Meat? I'm sorry but you're making me laugh now with your supreme hoity-toidiness.

Please don't feel sorry for me - there's other living creatures that need your sympathy more.

Now sit down and have some green tea or something.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Now THAT'S what I call teachin' yer kids to make nice!

RockerChik...this isn't day care and it's not a playgroup that we're talking about here. There is a difference between teaching kids to get along with each other and teaching them to stand up for their beliefs as well as how to stand up to bullies. Quite frankly, there are times when "making nice" isn't going to cut it and I would think you'd know that given that you seem all for teaching kids the horrors of the reality of life in this world. And yes, the reality of what they are proposing is that some adults are likely to get agressive when someone tries to hand their kids propoganda they don't agree with.
No, my kids aren't likely to see me assault someone who is trying to force their opinion on me, but they will get an object lesson in assertively saying no, thank you.

Quote:
Bottom line, PETA is not guilty of torturing or murdering anybody or anything as far as I am aware.

In that case, you might consider doing a little reasearch into the organizations and groups that PETA has allied itself with and supports; groups such as ALF, ELF and SHAC. ALF is considered a terrorist organization by our government; members of their group have bombed research facilities (and PETA contributed to their defense funds), not to mention vandalizing others and members of SHAC have made death threats and other threats against those that they disagree with. One of SHAC's members is a regular consultant to PETA. Ever hear the phrase "you're known by the company you keep"? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression here that you either don't know what and who this group supports or you really do believe that violent means and death threats are justified in this issue.
Nobody here is saying that YOU are PETA or that YOU are going to be standing in front of KFC handing out buckets of fake blood to little kids. The comments here are against PETA and their tactics, not you personally.
Ever wonder why PETA is increasingly targeting children with their message? My take on that is because children are young and impressionable, don't tend to think for themselves, believe whatever an adult tells them and don't have the assertiveness (not to mention they've been taught it's rude and wrong) to tell an adult that they don't agree. In short, they're targeting a captive audience.

Last edited by Lisa N : Fri, Mar-26-04 at 15:41.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:40

BF:

Quote:
By the way, what does your child THINK that you're cooking for dinner while you're hacking away on the ole' cutting board? Magical Meat?

Nope...they know exactly which animals we get our meat from.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 16:02

BF:

*tweet* referee whistle!

Folks, I realize that this is an emotional topic, but I need to remind everyone again of the forum rules. This may be the War Zone where debate and disagreement is allowed, but personal insults and flames are not part of that package here.
Please keep the debate to the topic at hand without getting personal.