Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Carb-laden foods have rights, too"

Opinion - Carb-laden foods have rights, too

Thursday, March 11, 2004

ELIZABETH HOVDE Columbian staff writer

http://www.columbian.com/03112004/clark_co/125349.html

Dear microwave, kettle-corn-style popcorn,

I adore you.

And kudos to baked potatoes, rice, tortillas, pasta, coffee cake, sourdough bread, wheat bread, ciabatta bread and the beloved kaiser roll.

All of you, some of my very favorite foods, have taken a beating. I can sit quiet no longer. Soon may come the day when carb-containing foods and carb-loving, carb-craving, carb-supporting people lose their long-held rights.

You foods full of yummy grains and sugars have been declared carb-laden and are unjustly being ostracized by society. Grocery outlets have sprung up refusing to let you in. Around 32 million Americans are estimated to have pledged their allegiance to the Atkins diet, your archenemy. And even the fast-food industry has forsaken you.

At least one of them is misguidedly serving burgers that are bun-free. That's as wrong as ordering pizza without cheese. No one wants ketchup on a cracker, and no sane person wants a rogue burger without a bun. Meats, breads, sugars and dairy products combine their forces for a reason: They taste brilliant together.

Some fast-food joints are also offering low-carb salads with enough fat in them to rival a bacon-double-cheeseburger. "But look, it's low in carbs!" they say.

You can't drive down many restaurant-filled streets around here without seeing signs for a new Atkins-friendly entree or low-carb latte. It's obnoxious. T.G.I. Friday's has even signed a deal with the Atkins folks to serve Atkins-approved meals. It is experimenting with low-carb margaritas, fajitas and desserts. Can't we at least leave margaritas out of this?

Subway Restaurants have also taken up arms with Atkins. The sandwich-maker started advertising the chicken-bacon-ranch and turkey-bacon-melt wraps as "Atkins-friendly."

On Wednesday's business page, The Columbian carried a Dow Jones Newswires story that reported PepsiCo is launching a "mid-calorie" drink.

"Aiming at those who can't decide between diet and regular," the story went, "PepsiCo Inc. on Tuesday announced it is planning to launch a cola with 50 percent less sugar than regular colas."

We're accommodating even the indecisive-on-carbs crowd? Fiddle Faddle.

Bread basket busted

The bread industrymust be ready to file a defamation lawsuit.The growing popularity of low-carbohydrate diets, such as the Atkins diet and something called the South Beach diet, are taking a toll on those who are used to filling our bread baskets, reports USA Today.

It is estimated that 40 percent of Americans are eating less bread today than in 2002. We consume barely a third of the quantity of bread as the French and Italians. (And we're more often fat, I might add.)

I do not wish to debate the merits of the Atkins diet or the numerous other diets that fail to acknowledge it is a lack of moderation, a failure to exercise regularly and a lack of control on our food intake that has supersized our nation not carbs, fast food or baby formula. And sure. French fry intake should be kept to a minimum. But a minority of the population cannot be allowed to hijack our restaurant menus and desecrate street signage with all this anti-carb nonsense. Not without a fight.

The good news for carb lovers and those who are willing to stand up for banana bread, cookies and all things flour, is that there is still a good chance to change this misguided path: While restaurants, food packagers and grocers have adopted this fad that has turned trend and is now headed toward becoming mainstream behavior, carb-filled favorites still rule the day.

Victor Godinez wrote in a Feb. 12 Dallas Morning News article that while low-carb diets "are hotter than a pot of fondue right now, low-carb will command only a small segment of the restaurant industry.

"American restaurant goers spent $440 billion last year on everything from cheesecake to french fries, and low-carb menu options will be lucky to carve out one-tenth of that amount," according to experts.

Dear kettle corn, we can save you yet.

Elizabeth Hovde's column of personal opinion appears on the Other Opinions page each Thursday. Her e-mail address: elizabeth.hovde~columbian.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%

that was pretty funny :-)

thanks, gotbeer.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I know this is supposed to be funny and perhaps it is for some. Doesn't seem to bring much to the debate though. Doesn't really say much except whine about the popularity of low-carb. Dunno why it bothers her so much, it's not as if the industry is going discontinue their carb-laden products and menus.

and this made me pause

Quote:
Some fast-food joints are also offering low-carb salads with enough fat in them to rival a bacon-double-cheeseburger. "But look, it's low in carbs!" they say.

She is so focused on the old fat-is-bad idea, she doesn't even seem to be able to think outside the box. I guess that's the problem with most low-carb opponents. It's like trying to tell them that the earth isn't flat. Of COURSE it's flat, what are you, crazy ?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:38
Registered Member

BF:

I think she is trying to point out how ridiculous it would be to go to a fastfood joint (and we know they sell crap food) and order a double lard burger but hold the bun, because THAT's what's gonna kill ya in the end. She is certainly playing on the uninformed perception that Atkinsees are stuffing themselves with tons o'lard, bacon, burgers, etc. (the old song), but are scared to death of a bun. It's a caricature, obviously.

And I've seen & heard extremely fanatic low carbers who I would consider borderline paranoid when it comes to carbs...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default P.s.

not to mention completely humorless....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:06
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I do not wish to debate the merits of the Atkins diet or the numerous other diets that fail to acknowledge it is a lack of moderation, a failure to exercise regularly and a lack of control on our food intake that has supersized our nation not carbs, fast food or baby formula. And sure. French fry intake should be kept to a minimum. But a minority of the population cannot be allowed to hijack our restaurant menus and desecrate street signage with all this anti-carb nonsense. Not without a fight.

I would love to hand her the atkins book.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What I find funny about all this isn't so much the article but the fact that I don't recall seeing such an uproar when restaurants starting touting "Weight Watchers" menus and giving the Weight Watchers points for various menu items or when menus starting carrying those little AHA "heart healthy" symbols on them.
Okay...so some restaurants are offering those on a low carb plan the option to leave out the bread, rice and potatoes and instead substitute more veggies or a salad. What the heck is so threatening about all this that they have to roast the idea bi-monthly in some editorial? It's not like we're campaigning to have high carb stuff denied to the rest of the world and force everyone to low carb whether they want to or not...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:52
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Exactly, Lisa N. Even though I will shout from the rooftops the benefits of low carb, I would never force a WOE on anyone. I feel sorry for anyone who stuffs themselves with poison every day, but as long as we attempt to educate the masses on this issue, we can all sleep well at night knowing we are trying to help.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 20:12

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
It's not like we're campaigning to have high carb stuff denied to the rest of the world and force everyone to low carb whether they want to or not...

My thoughts exactly! The carb-lovers should be rejoicing - less competition for the breadbasket! (and falling prices on some stuff, too)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:33

Plan: my own/ mostly Atkins
Stats: 250/205/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
That's as wrong as ordering pizza without cheese.

NO--it's pizza without the CRUST!

Quote:
But a minority of the population cannot be allowed to hijack our restaurant menus and desecrate street signage with all this anti-carb nonsense.

We're taking over the world!! MUHAHAHA!!