Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 11:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It seems obvious to me that humans have over populated the world.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Grape Nuts (per 100g)
Calores 359
Fat 2g
Carbs 81g
Fiber 9g
Sugar 12g
Net Carbs 72g
Protein 11g

Honeycomb (per 100g)
Calories 395
Fat 2g
Carbs 89g
Fiber 3g
Sugar 38g
Net Carbs 86
Protein 5g

Both are really high in carbs. I consider both to be unhealthy.

Yea but in volume, the "healthy adult" cereals have way more energy (carbs). 100 g of grape nuts is not even a cup. Pour out a cup of grapenuts and put it in a bowl. You are now looking at 390 calories and 80 carbs, and a rather modest portion size. Ridiculous.

100g of honeycombs is (I just calculated) 4.6 cups. That is a tremendous amount of food. You would need a salad bowl to eat that much honeycombs.

Kids cereals are actually far better for you than adult cereals because they aren't all low-volume hard granolaish crap so they portion control far better. Anything puffed is your friend. I bet if I eyed a serving of honeycombs I would have far less of a sugar crash than if I eyed a serving of grape nuts (cause with the honeycombs I'd likely take UNDER a serving - barely 90 cals and a few carbs whereas with the grape nuts I'd be taking 2 servings, 400 cals and 80 carbs).

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Fri, Aug-19-05 at 14:46.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Theres a difference between grapenuts and all bran vs cocoa puffs and honeycombs. HUGE! I dont think anyone can imagine comparing the two as equally healthy.

I still wanna know what these "other" carbs are.

Speaking as someone who's spent a ton of time trying to manipulate my diet so as to fit cereal in it....

All bran is definitely the best. It's 11 carbs and 60 cals for a serving. Vitamin fortified, too.
...however, a serving of all bran doesn't go far since it's so concentrated (low in volume).

Honey combs would probably be my second next best choice. Yes, it is a corn cereal, yes it has sugar. BUT it's air puffed which means a serving goes a long way and really isn't all that high in cals and carbs.

I'm not familiar with coco puffs, but I believe that is also ap uffed corn cereal so it follows the honey combs rule.

Ironically my absolute dead LAST choice for a cereal would be the dreaded grape nuts. Teeny, tiny, granules of starch... a serving has like 200 cals and outrageous carbs PLUS a serving is so insignificant as to be a joke. I would eat grapenuts if I were lifting weights and wanted to gain or something .

The best "real" cereal is puffed grains (plain). High volume, 40ish cals per cup and only 9 net carbs. Mix with chopped high fat nuts, berries, and diluted fat milk for a fairly balanced LC cereal .
Second best is plain wheat bran flakes. 90 cals, 18 net carbs. Lower volume & higher cal than puffed grains, however it's often fortified with 100% dv vitamins. I reduce the serving size to half usually and add high volume/low carb fruits and nuts, like with puffed grains.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 16:08

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

Code:
First of all, if everyone switched to a higher meat-protein diet, we would not have enough land. Period. The article that quickly states that 2/3 of the Earths land is unsuitable for farming is failing to point out that most of that land is found in northern climates, and it would not be suitable for grazing either.

That is true if you are talking about Angus Beef but I believe that caribou do very well in the northern climates and Buffalo also do excellent in cold climates.

Not that in these pc times will we start eating caribou. Lets face it, most people will continue to eat grains as they are cheap and easy to produce in mass. Thankfully we have a choice what we eat currently but that may change in the future.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 16:09

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

That last post is interesting. I must have hit the wrong button.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 16:49

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
That is true if you are talking about Angus Beef but I believe that caribou do very well in the northern climates and Buffalo also do excellent in cold climates.

Don't forget about yak,reindeer, muskox, seals and of course fish.

Last edited by Dodger : Fri, Aug-19-05 at 16:54.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 21:29
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Also, on the bird side, ducks, ptarmigan (perdrix in Quebecer), wild turkeys...
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 06:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There's also deer, elk, Moose, various strains of mountain goat and goose.

It's not just the areas that are cold, it's also the areas that are rocky or too dry that will support some grasses but are not suitable for growing crops.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 08:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Yea but in volume, the "healthy adult" cereals have way more energy (carbs). 100 g of grape nuts is not even a cup. Pour out a cup of grapenuts and put it in a bowl. You are now looking at 390 calories and 80 carbs, and a rather modest portion size. Ridiculous.

100g of honeycombs is (I just calculated) 4.6 cups. That is a tremendous amount of food. You would need a salad bowl to eat that much honeycombs.

100 grams of cereal is 100 grams of cereal regardless of how much space (volume) it takes up. When you fill a cereal with air, such as Honey Comb or Puffed wheat/rice it just fools you into thinking you're getting more.
If you crushed those air-filled cereals to remove the air, you'd likely find that they occupy roughly the same amount of space as 100 grams of the denser cereals. My DH did this with the residents of his home as an object lesson. Take a bowl of your favorite cereal and crush it. Then take a look at how much food is really there. It was a real eye-opener for them, at least.
Ounce for ounce, cereals are one of the most expensive things you can buy, food-wise; if you calculate how much you are paying per pound, it comes darn close to the price of a nice steak and, quite frankly, I'd rather have the steak since I know it's going to satisfy me a lot longer than that little bit of cereal.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 10:19

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
We probably have a lot more land capable of grazing animals that is not suitable for grain agriculture than you think. It's not necessarily a matter of turning farmable land into grazing pasture for cattle, but making use of the land that is not suitable for farming by allowing ruminants to graze on it.

I can see it now... our parks, prairies, "empty" places, forests, maybe even the few "pristine" places left, converted to pasture-land for ruminants. Personally, I don't find this to be a pretty picture, although it might happen someday regardless. It will simply degrade our environment even more and be unsustainable in the long-run anyway.

I too feel that the problem is overpopulation - and overconsumption of resources!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 11:48

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Domestication in general

Well, there we hit the nail on the head don't we? For all our wisdom, domestication of any kind, be it wheat or meat animals races us towards a big dead end. Natures way is best, big roaming herds and us following in camps after them!

Except now, there would be cities the size of New York following them, you thought Woodstock was messy.

another interesting article:

http://www.agron.iastate.edu/course...ondmistake.html

Last edited by steveed : Sun, Aug-21-05 at 11:54.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and low carb
Stats: 193/170/160 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%

why in the world does the factory add sugar to Grape Nuts ??? THAT SHOULD BE OUR CHOICE !!!

PS I love them for a snack but I quit eating them because I dis not want to blow all my carbs in 1 bowl.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 16:12
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Default The power lies with the consumer

You guys, this is a really interesting discussion. Kudos all around.

When I was living in the Netherlands, a local university proposed an experimental highrise tower for raising pigs and chickens that would house thousands of them comfortably on a small footprint. People got upset (because the mad cow thing had been going on) and pointed out how many would have to be slaughtered if any contagious disease took hold, etc.

Okay, so stop eating ham, people, or stop squawking. The Netherlands is about the size of Maine and has over 16 million people. The vat-grown meat isn't really happening on that kind of scale yet! If the consumers want it, producers have to find a way to supply it. The demand for meat was going up and the ag professors were just looking for a new solution. Why get angry? We the consumers are making it happen. You know?

Of course, this has an upside. If more people in North America look into buying grass-fed beef and local free-range poultry, suppliers will notice this and we'll have more small-scale, profitable farms. And it's true that other meats are catching on; Buffalo is good stuff and growing in popularity (and I passed a buffalo farm in eastern Washington last week - neat lookin' animals!). Ostrich and emu are getting more popular. So there's some biodiversity there.

Anyway, lots of people can eat a grainy diet and it agrees with them just fine. Which is good, since there is a limit to the meat supply and it would never feed everyone on earth. Plus the methane from the ruminants contributes massively to the greenhouse effect (and acid rain).

Incidentally, that vegetarian miscarriage mentioned in that one link? They said that the woman was eating a diet with almost no fat in it. That may have been a key factor - I know fat is highly necessary for neural development, and lately every pregnancy magazine is touting EFA prenatal supplements and baby formulas. It's the latest fad, but it's a good thing if you ask me. I was already taking EFAs and I have continued.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

we should start eating our criminals. hey.. Cannabalism gets a bad rap. Think about it, We got plenty of bad guys. put them through a meat grinder and you're not only helping to take care of over population and over crowded prisons, buy you're making a tastey burger too!
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 22:00
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
I'm starting to wonder if there are more "closet low carbers" out there than we realize! lol

...and that our parents and grandparents all lives to relatively long healthy lives eating natural fats, mostly saturated

I don't necessarily think there are closet low carbers out there, I think it's just widely known that eating your veggies is good for you. It's the old tradition of your mum not letting you leave the table until the vegies have been eaten.

Also, my mum said when she was young it was quite expensive to get animal meats, especially chicken, and most people ate a high seafood diet. Cheap to produce, cheap to purchase. It would also explain why only when your grandparents go out do they have that steak etc.

e