Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:29

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

1. How did you feel when you were out of control? Hunger levels? Physically? Mental/Emotionally? What are carb cravings like?

I felt awful. I was hungry all the time. The extreme hunger that you feel like your starved. If I wasn't hungry; I was iritable and tired from the carb overload

2. How many other "diets" have you done? Name them. Did any of these successfully control your carb cravings? What were the ultimate results? How did you feel when/if you regained the weight? Did you regain even more weight than you lost?

Most of the time I tried the lowfat, low calorie diets. I never understood why I couldn't stick to them, but I do know I was constantly hungry on them. The most I'd lose would be 10 lbs and then I'd gain that plus some. ugh. It was a vicious cycle that ballooned me up to my all time high of 193. The most I ever lost was 40 lbs on diet pills combined with lower fat & calories, but I regained it all back after going off of them. So most of the time my diets were yo-yos, until CAD.

3. How did you find CAD/CALP and how did you feel when you did?

I came across teh CAD book in 2000 at Walmart for $5. I thought "Well I've tried everything else and failed....what would it hurt to read this book?" I felt like I wasn't alone

4. How long on CAD/CALP did it take for the cravings to go away? How many times did you have to restart (not a day or two off plan and right back on but giving in to the cravings and/or binging and having to restart)?

The cravings go away for me almost instantly. I'd say 2-3 days. I lost 25 lbs on CAD in 2000. Then I had 2 pregnancies and bfing between 2001-2004. Then I started back last year. If I go off plan its only for 1 or 2 days. I usually feel awful and hop back on. That's only happened maybe 2 times in the last 4 mths.

5. Where are you in your CAD/CALP journey? Has your relationship with food normalized? Somewhat? Are you still at the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome" stage? Do you feel in control?

I have grown to an understanding of how my body reacts to certain foods, and that give me a good feeling. I am in control, but I do splurge on my RMs more than occasionally. I have lost 25 lbs eating this way. If it stop or comes to a screeching hault. I may reevaluate my RMs closer, or not

6. What is the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome"? Did you go through it? How long, if ever, did it take for you to get past it?

I think I had that more the 1st month on CAD.

7. Is CAD/CALP for life to you or just until you lose the weight? Do you feel you can do it for life?

CAD is for life for me. Its the first plan that I ever felt like I could "do" it for life all the other plans were just until the weight came off. (I was always surprised when the weight came back ) Now I know I can keep it off with CAD

8. What has CAD/CALP done for you and would you recommend it to others?

CAD has given me so much more energy and I require much less sleep. It has controlled my cravings. I have no hunger. (Its extremely rare to have my stomach growl!) CAD has given me the hope that I can make it to goal, and that I can eat this way for life. I would reccomend it to others, but I know most of the time I encounter people in the real world they aren't very open to this way of eating. The girl I work with (she's 20 something, very thin) she watches her fat grams. She's constantly picking on the way I eat. I try to explain it to her, but she just doesn't "get it". She is constantly "hungry" on her lowfat diet
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 08:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Great input and info!!! Thank you all for posting!!!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 18:42
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I never answered this post as my experiences are so different from most of the others on the list, but I think that seeing how YMMV is helpful, so here it goes.

1. I have never been out of control aroung food, and have no cravings for carbs.Always felt I ate healthy, just the wrong foods for me.
2. In middle school and high school my parents put me on diets- 1000 calorie- and when I gained weight blamed me for "sneaking" food. My mother is very thin and very concerned with her weight, and mine.I decided to enjoy my body and by age 18 told my parents that it was now "off limits" to comment on my weight, food, or body. I ran in college, and was very happy with my weight. After my second child I weighed the same after delivery as while I was pregnant(!), and added another 20 pounds on over the next 15 years. I am high risk for heart disease (family history and my blood lipids are high), so I was on the low fat/ high carb "healthy heart" diet. Felt awful, and thought something was wrong with me that no one could believe.Always worked out and walked.
3. I found CAD/CALP during a systematic program of reading the most available low carb books. I read CALP and felt the eureka moment - I was insulin resistant- and CALP explained my situation. I think I became insulin resistant during that second pregnancy, and the way I ate just made it worse and worse. I then read CAD and CAHHP, and decided this was for me. Kept the books close the first 6-9 months. Found this forum after my first 4 months on CALP.
4. Never had cravings before, or during. Sorry- just don't. Not into sweets- like breads and stuff- but once I started CALP I was fine.Thought it would be hard, but once I made the commitment and felt the difference physically I was locked into CALP.
5. My journey on CALP/CAHHP has been amazing. All my strange feelings of "something wrong" physically have been eliminated. I
went from a BMI of 29 to one of 21. My lipids are all normal. I have more energy and stamina. I don't swell up after a salty meal. My face isn't puffy and swollen looking. I feel great, and just love it. I had an inital goal of losing 20 lbs, and then I just stayed on the program and trusted my body. I did get a bit freaked out when I continued to lose weight after the first 30 lbs, but I just kept on. I am maintaining and still on plan.my doctor calls me his star patient, and is totally supportive. My husband has been with me all the way.
8. Never had the KITCCS thing as I has not "dieted" since 18, and didn't feel restricted, and I don't have cravings. I am strange!My RMs are balanced, or I feel cruddy. Clean CMs and a protein only breakfast CM are the other part of my plan. Do RM in 60 minutes, and RM food only in RM too. I try and keep it easy. I actually use strategies from this list and in the books- like asking to take a dessert home for later- and they work. I plan, plan, plan- need protein and vegies available for CMs!having my RM for dinner works for me, as I can have people for dinner or go out and have a nice meal.Like having RM with my family, too.
7. I am on CALP for life, to manage my insulin resistance and prevent heart disease and diabetes. Weight is not the issue for me, but a really nice bonus of the plan is the weight loss.I love the way I look at size 8, I admit it!
8. I am so thankful to the Hellers for this program, and the people on this (and other)list (s)for support and community. I do recommend it to others. You must read the book(s) and follow the plan. it can change your life!Thanks-
E
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/204/170 Female 58
BF:
Progress: 24%

Long-time Atkins follower and I have just started reading up on CAD/CALP and am very interested. Atkins saved my life, but after time I realized I was replacing my old binge behavior with frankenfoods until I finally went all the way off-plan (after 2 years without cheating) and slowly regaining. Just got the CALP book and I'm going to see what I can learn. After a week of only using sugar substitutes at a "RM" (still low carb), I feel an incredible difference.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 15:09

Plan: CAD
Stats: 301/282/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

1. How did you feel when you were out of control? Hunger levels? Physically? Mental/Emotionally? What are carb cravings like?

I constantly wanted something , I call it ucf ( unidentified craved food ) . I'd eat what I thought the food was but instead of the food "hitting the spot" I'd just feel blah and still hungry. Physically heavy carb meals are like valium to me . I get sluggish , sleepy , and tired when I eat that way. Sometimes in the past during high stress times I self medicated with carbs. Instead of dealing with the problem I'd have a carb induced nap.

2. How many other "diets" have you done? Name them. Did any of these successfully control your carb cravings? What were the ultimate results? How did you feel when/if you regained the weight? Did you regain even more weight than you lost?

formu3 , slim fast (several times) , atkins . Formu3 from what I recall rotated 2 weeks low starches , 2 weeks high starches , always low fat.I lost weight on it but dropped it after 3 weeks . Slim fast I was always hungry . atkins after day 4 it was great , after an extened induction I added fruit back in and it was like I had never lost any cravings they all came back. I regained the weight plus some and when it came back it seemed to take up more space than the last time I was at that weight ( probably because as I quit the plans I also stopped exercising. )

I found out about Cad/CALP here . The more I read the more it sounded like something I could do.I have read the CAD book and am reading CALP .
4. How long on CAD/CALP did it take for the cravings to go away? How many times did you have to restart (not a day or two off plan and right back on but giving in to the cravings and/or binging and having to restart)?

Right now the cravings are not bad . I'm not tempted to snack , but as rm gets closer I find myself watching the clock . I try to have the rm after 6pm so I'm not tempted to have a bedtime snack.

5. Where are you in your CAD/CALP journey? Has your relationship with food normalized? Somewhat? Are you still at the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome" stage? Do you feel in control?

Day three , I had the candy store thing going on last rm , hopefully today will be better. I feel more in control eating my rm in a restaraunt , than at home.

6. What is the "Kid in the Candy Store Syndrome"? Did you go through it? How long, if ever, did it take for you to get past it?

I want everything in the rm . I think I'm still in this stage , but I plan to try going slower tonight.

7. Is CAD/CALP for life to you or just until you lose the weight? Do you feel you can do it for life?
I feel confident I can do it and enjoy it . I love that nothing is forbiden and I can still have real desserts . I feel I can do it for life .

It's only been 2 and half days , but I feel calmer . I'm no longer snacking all day . I would reccomend it to others.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 15:20

Plan: CALP
Stats: 184/179/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

Being a carbohydrate addict is hell. I spent many years blaming myself for being so weak. Everyday was a battle against the craving (one that I always lost). When the craving hit I can’t focus on anything else. There is no peace until I get my “fix”. I tried waiting it out and my record is one week, before cracking and having a carb binge. When I get “high” on carbs my brain turns into mash and I can’t think strait. Sometimes I even fall asleep.

I have done Atkins but I’m a vegetarian and this diet was too strict for me. I felt sick the entire time and started to hallucinate about sandwiches. Then I tried WW and I lost 26 pound. I haven’t gained the weight back but it was only a matter of time. There are many things I like about WW but this diet is not suitable for a carb addict.

There is also another weight loss method I want to mention. It’s the book “The Solution” by Laurel Mellin. This is not a diet but a way of managing emotional eating. I think it’s a really good plan and I use it as a complement to CALP.

I first heard about CALP on Oprah (thank God we get Oprah in Sweden) and I got the book. I felt that this was almost to good to be true. The cravings were gone and I was losing weight.

Now to the embarrassing part. I only did CALP 3 weeks the first time. Everybody kept telling me that this diet is not healthy and finally I started thinking that maybe they where right.

Four years later, full of struggling, heartache and an escalating addiction, I was desperate. Then I hade a miracle. I was listening to Wisdom Radio (on the net) and Carolyn Craft was talking to Dr. Christiane Northrup about getting of sugar. Christiane explained that if you don’t start the day with protein the serotonin will be depleted at the end of the day and you will be eating the wallpaper to get to the starch (sugar produce and release serotonin). I knew then I hade to get back on CALP and the cravings were gone the first day. I hade been out of control for months (well ok, years) and in one day the cravings where gone!

This is week 4 on CALP and I’m doing fine. I have lost 4,5 pound. The only problem I hade was when I tried “the skip breakfast option”. I got depressed and gained weight . Now I eat breakfast even if I’m not hungry.

I’m still in the KITCSS stage. I been on WW for 3 years and having pancakes (Swedish thin ones) with real whipped cream and strawberry jam, without gilt, is amazing. I really try to balance my RM but I must confess I often have 1/4 protein, 1/4 low carb vegetables and 1/2 carbs.

Even thou I have unbalanced RMs, I have a much healthier relationship with food. I no longer obsess about food.

The KITCSS is going a little crazy at the RM (I think). I’m still in it but I plan to balance the RM better, soon.

I’m a carbohydrate addict and this is the only plan I have been able to stay on. This is for life. I’m sick of being held hostage by food. Being on CALP is freedom.

CALP has normalized my relationship with food. I would recommend it to other people but only if they where addicts. I might be lynched for this statement but if you are not an addict and just have unhealthy eating habits, I would recommend joining WW. If something isn’t broken there is no need to fix it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 23:33

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi...I only just started to investigate CAD but I would like to answer some of the questions if that's ok.

From the time of my very first diet, I have had a love/hate relationship with food. My hunger is pretty much constant. It's scary how I can be so hungry all the time. Somehow, though, until fairly recently (after the birth of my second son), I have managed to remain a "normal" weight. I have at times eaten so much that I had to lie on my side to make a "pocket" of space in my stomach in which to stuff the food. It's horrible. Always hungry, hungry, hungry, night and day, even after a meal...or rather, *especially* after a meal. It makes me feel horrible. I feel like a huge slobby pig. I know I don't need this much food. I know it. But I get this "draw" toward the food just like I have a draw toward cigarettes (something else I'm working on).

In high school, the only way I could lose weight was by not eating all day (literally...nothing) and then having one piece of food each night. Not one meal, one piece. Like a small hamburger pattie or a Cup O' Noodles. I was walking to and from school (30 minutes each way) plus gym class each day, so I was getting exercise. I reasoned that I was constantly hungry this way, but I was constantly hungry even when I *was* eating, so what was the difference? My mother urged me into my first diet at age 11. I was "Crisco, fat in the can," "lard ass," "jellly belly" and "jutt butt" to her (at 120 lbs.). I went down to 112 pounds by skipping breakfast and having lunch & dinner and no snacks. After that it got harder to maintan my weight and that's when I went on my one piece of food a day diet. My mother applauded me.

As an adult, I heard about Susan Powter and I ate, ate, ate low-fat foods and I ballooned up to 145 pounds. I starved myself back down to 125. At age 36 I had my second son. After he was born, I weighed 155 pounds. I went on Zoloft and went up to 175 pounds. Starvation diets don't work anymore. I starve and starve but the weight doesn't budge. I tried Atkins and lost a few pounds, down to 165, but I found myself cheating all the time...just hungry, hungry, hungry.

Now here's something interesting. I discovered CAD in 1992. Yes, 1992. I read it cover to cover. I KNEW something was wrong. But I was too scared to move up from one piece of food a day. I figured I would just pig out until I exploded. More recently, I discovered CAD on this site, while doing Atkins. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I'm hoping and hoping and hoping that it will cure my sick relationship with food.

I can't answer this one yet.

I had my Kid in a Candy Store thing while on Atkins. I could eat mayo???? No WAY! It was pretty thrilling. I don't know whether this will make me feel in control yet but I am thanking God that I found other people who have been through this torture...I am very sorry anyone at all has had to go through this, but at least I'm not alone and I'm not crazy. I wish no one ever had to go through this.

(see above)

If this heals me, I would like to do it for life.

I don't know yet, but I do know I would recommend the book, at least, to others. I think a person shouldn't give up until he or she finds a solution to his or her issues with food and cravings.

When I first read this thread, I was bawling like a baby. I couldn't believe other people had gone through this too. I thought I was just "a pig" and "out of control" and that other people could "do" diets without a problem. I scored Moderate on the CAD test, although I was kind of underestimating some of the questions just to be sure I wasn't "trying" to be scored as a carbohydrate addict...so if truth be told, I'm probably in the Severe category. Thank you for posting this thread. It is hard to answer those questions but it's also very honest to do so, and it's good to get off our chests these feelings we've been having so long.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 07:07
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Glendora
I thought you needed to read it to see you are not alone. We've been there.

Welcome to CAD!!

Do come back and answer the questions again when you've been on CAD for three months.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 05:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Bumping it.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 18:25

Plan: cad
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

tHIS IS GREAT! SO BENEFICIAL TO ME!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 10:38
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Bumping it.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 16:46

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for bumping this one up Zuleikaa! It has great info in it. Here are my reponses...

I was hungry ALL of the time, and by looking at my highest weight you can see it was rare for me to ever deny my hunger. For me I can identify my carb cravings as almost a physical aching inside. Emotionally I was stuffing my face and feeding my cravings but I was not dealing with what was really going on.

Other diets I have done were really only several attempts at both Weight Watchers and Deal-A-Meal. They did not control my cravings but I was successful for a period with each until I was finally again overwhelmed by my cravings. I always regained more than I lost and felt like a failure.

Like many I first saw CAD on Oprah. At the time I was not dieting so I was interested because it was Oprah but not in actually doing it. Several years later I was at a point in my life where I wanted to lose some weight and needed to find a new tool as the others had failed me. I went to the bookstore and found CAD, did some more research and found CALP had just been released in paperback. I bought it and got started. I felt great when I started and was successful. I lost about 70lbs that time and made the mistake of thinking "Oh well, I am happy enough now, diet time is over." I regained all of the weight and in the ensuing years about 100-150 more pounds. I came back to CALP this spring after I found that my "happy fat guy" attitude was doing nothing to change the fact that my weight was affecting my mobility and restricting my life. I am back now and feel great.

Both times with CALP by day three my cravings were gone. As I said before this is my second go-round.

I would say my relationship with food has mostly normalized. I have a sweet treat as my carbs at my RM about 3 times a week and am in complete control of it. I have noticed that when I went back on CALP at my RM I was still feeling carb crazy and psychologically felt like I had to get in as much as I could but now I find that I am satisfied with the smaller carb portions. I would say when I get a craving now it is not a real carb craving but more of a food memory, usually when I see my favorite eating places on tv or in real life. But I am at a place where I can acknowledge the desire and move on. Like last night I was crazy for Pizza Hut pizaa after seeing a commercial, but when I told myself I would have a piece of pizza at my next RM, the craving went away.

I think it refers to the euphoria we CAD/CALP-ers feel when we realize that we can still have the no-no foods at our RMs and still lose weight. So it seems like a license to have it all. I would say I went through that my first time around but this time my tastes are more mature. I am as likely to want to have some yummy multigrain bread toasted with a shmear of natural peanut butter as my carb portion as I used to want ice cream, or cookies, or candy. I got through it this time by designating which nights I would have an "old friend" with my RM and then I portion controlled in advance. Worked great for me so far!

I think it has to be for life if I want to keep the weight off, I have seen what happens when you stop the plan completely at a "maintenance" point.

CALP has truly given me my life back. I walk now! I can shop for two hours without sitting now whereas before I needed a rest after walking from my car to the store front. I have energy. I feel great. And I have discovered sooo many yummy foods that are good for me that I truly like! I crave sauteed green beans now, who knew?! hehe!

Thanks for reading this far!
Mike
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 273/255/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks Mike. What an inspiration you are to me. Can you please tell me how often to expect plateaus? How long they can last? I am studying lots of materials, but I just can't seem to find an answer to some of my questions.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 21:17

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev
Thanks Mike. What an inspiration you are to me. Can you please tell me how often to expect plateaus? How long they can last? I am studying lots of materials, but I just can't seem to find an answer to some of my questions.

You're welcome! Glad to just share!
As far as plateaus, I have not experienced anything this time around honestly, but then my starting weight is much, much higher this time. My first time around I remember hitting one or two plateaus, mostly when I would load up my RMs with unbalanced carbs composed mostly of refined sugars and white flour, like sweets, cakes, pasta, etc. Usually a week or two after I "cleansed" and balanced my RMs I would find that the scale would get moving again. Not sure if that will help, but if I can answer any other questions I definitely will.

Mike
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 10:26
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Bumping it.