Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 14:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/215/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

I just saw the book at Costco for $5.99 and Last weeks Womans's World Mag had a nice article on the diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:03

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Hi Lady Pat:
That could be the small paperback called simply "The GI Diet" which is really all one needs. I also bought "Living The GI Diet which is bigger and is really just the original book with quite a few recipes added. I think they are going to put out a book in a while which is like a companion book full of recipes.
Slow but steady.
Quincy.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 13:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/260/170 Male 180
BF:
Progress:
Question ideas please....

Hi, I have read with interest all of your posts. I would really like to try the GI diet, I was just wondering what sort of food you can eat as I am worried about the amount of carbs. I would appreciate someone letting me know roughly what is allowed and not allowed on the GI diet.

Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 21:05

Default The G.I. Diet basics

Hi Lowestcarb, Hope you find this helpful:

The G.I. Diet is of course based on the Glycemic Index.
The Author was the former president and CEO of the Heart and Stroke foundation of Ontario. Consequently he developed a diet that is not only for people generally wanting to lose weight but one that is very heart healthy. The diet's emphasis is not only a reduction of high glycemic carbs but also low fat. What I like about it is it is very very easy to follow. If you can read a traffic light you can do this diet the book says. He has all the foods we normally eat on a chart marked in red, yellow or green. Red light foods are ones that we should always avoid (or at least while we are reducing weight) such as most potatoes, white bread, short grain rice and the usual high glycemic foods with the addition of high fat foods such as regular bacon and whole milk. Nothing wrong though with lean meat or most anything lower fat such as back bacon, chicken breast etc. Yellow light foods are those which we can eat only very occasionally while in weight loss mode or in moderation after weight loss, such as corn, popcorn, boiled new potatoes, most nuts and bananas to name a few. You can eat all of the green light foods at every meal, such as most veggies, lean meat, most fruit and so on.
There is no measuring. Just three basic things you have to remember. 1 - Just stick to green light foods during weight loss. 2 - Fill half your plate with green light veggies and a quarter with a lower glycemic carb such a brown rice or pasta and a quarter with protein such as lean meat. 3 - Eat three meals a day and 3 green light snacks so you do not feel hungry.

This may sound too good to be true but these guys did their homework so we could have a simple plan to follow.
I don't feel this diet is a hardship at all and I do not feel hungry all the time. Also, this is the way I want to eat for the rest of my life.
My usual green light breakfast is:
Porridge made with old fashioned big flake oats with a couple of tablespoons of low-fat no-sugar yogurt and skim milk with coffee and an orange.
For lunch I have something like:
Black forest ham open faced on 1 slice of stone ground 100% whole wheat bread and a bowl of low carb soup.
A green light supper might be:
A pita pizza made with 100% whole wheat pita, lean hamburger, green pepper, black olives, tomatoes, tomato paste, green onions, low-fat mozzarella and a side salad.
I could also have a couple of snacks between meals - grapes in low fat no sugar yogurt, and half an apple.
Anyway this w.o.e. is working for me so far at 1 or 2 lbs. per week. Slow but steady. This may seem like it will take quite a while on this program but I don't feel like it's much of a hardship. Oh, I also excersize a fair bit
I know this will work if I stick to it. Time will tell when I reach my goal weight.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 08:03

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 288/217.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hello all! I don't follow anyone's plan (like "The GI Diet" or anything) I just follow my own plan ... I eat low GI foods most of the time, and I'm finding it the easiest thing I've ever done! At the time of this post, I've lost 54.5 pounds and my husband has lost 28 pounds ... we love this way of life!

Anna
288 / 233.5 / 130
54.5 Pounds Gone using Low G.I.

My favorite Low G.I. Recipes
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 06:57

Default Your own plan

It's good to see your success! Low G.I. has pretty well become a way of life for me. I don't even think of it as a plan I have to follow, rather a very healthy balanced way to live and eat for the rest of my life. I've tried most everything from Slim-Fast to Atkins and eating low G.I. is something I can truly live with.
Slow but steady.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261/200/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I read the posts yesterday on the GI Diet and found the book at the library after work. (I had the book The Formula: 40-30-30...and posted about it but have not had any replies). This seems simular to the Formula but much easier to follow. Think I'll give it a try. I am grateful to Atkins for getting me off the bad carbs and helping me lose a lot of weight. I want to continue to good carb thing and take off the last 15 pounds or so.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 15:10

Plan: just low carb eating
Stats: 193/180/125 Female 62 inches
BF:

wondering where onecould get a copy of the book " the g.i diet" ?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 15:31

Plan: just low carb eating
Stats: 193/180/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Default going to low carb and low glycemic

I had been doing the atkins diet since may 20th 2004,but am so tired of eating the same things and now I am just doing low carb my question is do you think I will put back all the weight I lost so far if I would eat low carb and also incorporate eating low glycemic foods as well?

Last edited by twin2 : Wed, Jun-23-04 at 15:34. Reason: missed a word in first sentance
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:53

Amazon.com is a good place to get The G.I. Diet.
It's not as popular as Atkins etc. since it hasn't been around very long, but it makes sense, is simple, works, and is a w.o.e. you can maintain forever.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:58

I know some people mix and match diets to their preferences, but you have to be careful that the concepts that make an individual diet work are not negated by mixing them. I would be inclined try a new diet and see how it works for you first before mixing.
Just my humble opinion
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:48

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 288/217.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

"The GI Diet" isn't the only book on the subject ... that's one person's version of low GI eating ... remember there are other great books on the subject, and I recommend "The New Glucose Revolution," and "The Good Carb Cookbook" as two of the best.

Anna
288 / 231.5 / 130
56.5 Pounds Gone using Low G.I.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 15:46

Plan: Atkins ish
Stats: 246/210/190 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Hi
I am on the Easy GI diet by Helen Foster (different title in the states apparently)
I am wondering if all the lowcarb products such as lc bread, tortillas, sweets, chocolate etc are also lowGI?
She allows high cocoa plain real chocholate on her plan (as its low GI) which is great but I have a stock of low carb choc so I am assuming they would be okay because they have a minimal impact on blood sugars which is the whole point of lowGI???
Thanks for any help or clarrification you can offer
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 07:03

Your right Topangasun.
There are quite a few low GI plans - South Beach, Sugar Busters etc. to name a couple more. The G.I. Diet is my personal favorite because it is so easy for me to follow. I guess they all work if you don't deviate too much from the plan.
BTW, you have put together a very good website

Last edited by Quincy : Mon, Jun-28-04 at 07:19.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 07:12

As long as it is low on the glycemic index it should be alright. It makes sense of course to keep things like chocolate to a small snack level.