Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 07:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/247/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Since I am new to this board, this may not be the right place for this response, but hey, I am going to do it anyway! I love yogurt too and have found a really low carb way of having it. On another low carb list I am on this was put together as a way to make low carb yogurt yourself and save a ton of money:

Carb Countdown Yogurt

4 c Carb Countdown milk
3 tbsp yogurt (whole fat plain yogurt)

Bring milk just to a boil in a saucepan.
Remove from heat and cool to precisely 110 degrees.
While it's cooling, sterilize a heat-proof jar in the microwave for 5 minutes.
Stir yogurt into half and half well.
Pour into sterilized jar. (Be sure to put a metal spoon in the jar so it doesn't break while pouring in the hot mix!)
Cover with waxed paper, secured with rubber bands.
Put in a draft-free place (inside a cupboard works well) and wrap with a
thick towel to keep it warm.Let set for 6-8 hours.
Refrigerate when well thickened.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : since the milk is low carb to begin with, this almost 0 carb carbohydrates due to yogurt cultures eating all the lactose sugar!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 07:32

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

The Yogurt Exception from Low Carb Luxury Website

Why Fermented Milk Products are different. . .

For many of us, starting on the low-carb path has meant being a label reader and always, always looking to the carb counts. If you were a person that enjoyed a dish of yogurt or a glass of buttermilk, you might have assumed you can no longer have them –– at least in any real quantity –– since their labels show them to be high in carbs. But as you'll see when you read on, you can't always trust the label to give you the entire story. Doctors Jack Goldberg, and Karen O'Mara explain in their book The GO-Diet, there's an exception here that works to your advantage. With proper credit to them, here's the skinny:

There has been a lot of press in the recent years about yeast overgrowth and its effects on your health and well being. There is some reason to believe that high carbohydrate diets and the overuse of some drugs, like antibiotics, may promote abnormal yeast overgrowth in and on the body. One natural way to combat this problem is to use an ancient remedy that is natural and well tolerated by anyone. This remedy is to restore healthy bacteria to your body in the form of cultured milk products such as kefir, yogurt, and buttermilk.

A bacterium called "lactobacillus" is a very important conditioner of the human gastrointestinal tract. You can take pills, but again, we feel it is better to use natural sources. It is much more delicious to take your bacteria in live culture kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk. Any of these three products can, and SHOULD, be used as part of your daily diet. Of the three choices, kefir may have even additional benefits because of the other "good" microorganisms it contains. Kefir is made from cultures containing a specific mixture of bacteria and "friendly" yeasts that are obtained from the kefir grain. There are currently research projects being undertaken in the United States to assess whether there are additional benefits to kefir. There are patents on anticancer substances extracted from kefir grains. This product has been widely used in western Europe, having originated several centuries ago.

Recent research has shown that among its many good qualities, these bacteria also stimulate the body to produce important immune response chemicals called "cytokines." These molecules include interferons and tumor necrosis factor and therefore might improve our resistance to disease. They also form a great deal of bulk for the formation of well-formed, non-constipating stools. Even lactose-intolerant individuals can tolerate kefir, yogurt and buttermilk. That is because the lactose in the milk used to make these products has been digested by the "good" lactobacillus. For example, the actual lactose left in kefir made by a national manufacturer is 1% or less. IN THIS CASE ONLY, AND WITH THESE FOODS ONLY, don’t count the carbohydrate on the package labels. Why not?

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)

When you go to buy ready-made kefir and yogurt, look for plain, unsweetened or artificially sweetened varieties. [Note: Blue Bunny now makes a Splenda-sweetened version of their yogurts that are delicious! See our review of them 3/6/2001.] Don’t be afraid of plain, unsweetened varieties. This is how kefir and yogurt have traditionally been used. You may find that "plain" tastes best of all. Or, you can add your own no-calorie sweeteners and flavorings (or berries or nuts and seeds). It may be better if the product is "bovine growth hormone free" although this is still controversial. Does it matter if it’s "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.

Yogurt is a great health food and is enjoyed by just about everyone. The cultures found in yogurt such as Acidophilus are beneficial to the digestive system. For example, Acidophilus, which is primarily found in the small intestine, produces Lactase which is the enzyme that digests milk sugars. Bifidobacterium is another beneficial bacteria found primarily in the large intestine and these bacteria produce B-vitamins such as B1, B6 and B12 as well as folic acid and some amino acids. Eating yogurt will help maintain healthy levels of beneficial bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

Kefir is one of the oldest cultured milks. It has a bubbly effervescence and no bitter aftertaste. It is a fermented milk and contains a mixture of several species of lactic cultures. Kefir milk helps restore the intestinal flora and may help with digestive troubles because of its easy digestion. It is predigested due to the fermentation process and is tolerable for those people that are lactose intolerant.

No Need to buy tiny cups of overpriced "Low Carb Yogurt"
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:00

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

I tried to freeze one of these and then eat it as frozen yogurt. the problem was that it froze "too hard" and
I could not seem to scoop it out without letting it
dethaw. the taste though was pretty good.

sandy
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:47

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Wow Stephen thanks for the scoop.

I still eat many low carb products, like the yogurt and lc bread event though I am on hiatus.

Thank you all for your well wishes, etc. I learned this week that Twin A is a boy, and Twin B is a ? (still wouldnt show us!) but the important thing is that they are healthy and growing very well.

I'll be back with a vengence soon!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:51
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose7
Guess I have more sensitive taste buds? I think Blue Bunny Black Forest is the best flavor I had so far. Much higher in carbs though (14g)

I eat Blue Bunny yogurt as well, have you seen this article?

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

Why Fermented Milk Products are different. . .

For many of us, starting on the low-carb path has meant being a label reader and always, always looking to the carb counts. If you were a person that enjoyed a dish of yogurt or a glass of buttermilk, you might have assumed you can no longer have them –– at least in any real quantity –– since their labels show them to be high in carbs. But as you'll see when you read on, you can't always trust the label to give you the entire story. Doctors Jack Goldberg, and Karen O'Mara explain in their book The GO-Diet, there's an exception here that works to your advantage. With proper credit to them, here's the skinny:

There has been a lot of press in the recent years about yeast overgrowth and its effects on your health and well being. There is some reason to believe that high carbohydrate diets and the overuse of some drugs, like antibiotics, may promote abnormal yeast overgrowth in and on the body. One natural way to combat this problem is to use an ancient remedy that is natural and well tolerated by anyone. This remedy is to restore healthy bacteria to your body in the form of cultured milk products such as kefir, yogurt, and buttermilk.

A bacterium called "lactobacillus" is a very important conditioner of the human gastrointestinal tract. You can take pills, but again, we feel it is better to use natural sources. It is much more delicious to take your bacteria in live culture kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk. Any of these three products can, and SHOULD, be used as part of your daily diet. Of the three choices, kefir may have even additional benefits because of the other "good" microorganisms it contains. Kefir is made from cultures containing a specific mixture of bacteria and "friendly" yeasts that are obtained from the kefir grain. There are currently research projects being undertaken in the United States to assess whether there are additional benefits to kefir. There are patents on anticancer substances extracted from kefir grains. This product has been widely used in western Europe, having originated several centuries ago.

Recent research has shown that among its many good qualities, these bacteria also stimulate the body to produce important immune response chemicals called "cytokines." These molecules include interferons and tumor necrosis factor and therefore might improve our resistance to disease. They also form a great deal of bulk for the formation of well-formed, non-constipating stools. Even lactose-intolerant individuals can tolerate kefir, yogurt and buttermilk. That is because the lactose in the milk used to make these products has been digested by the "good" lactobacillus. For example, the actual lactose left in kefir made by a national manufacturer is 1% or less. IN THIS CASE ONLY, AND WITH THESE FOODS ONLY, don’t count the carbohydrate on the package labels. Why not?

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)

When you go to buy ready-made kefir and yogurt, look for plain, unsweetened or artificially sweetened varieties. [Note: Blue Bunny now makes a Splenda-sweetened version of their yogurts that are delicious! See our review of them 3/6/2001.] Don’t be afraid of plain, unsweetened varieties. This is how kefir and yogurt have traditionally been used. You may find that "plain" tastes best of all. Or, you can add your own no-calorie sweeteners and flavorings (or berries or nuts and seeds). It may be better if the product is "bovine growth hormone free" although this is still controversial. Does it matter if it’s "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.

Yogurt is a great health food and is enjoyed by just about everyone. The cultures found in yogurt such as Acidophilus are beneficial to the digestive system. For example, Acidophilus, which is primarily found in the small intestine, produces Lactase which is the enzyme that digests milk sugars. Bifidobacterium is another beneficial bacteria found primarily in the large intestine and these bacteria produce B-vitamins such as B1, B6 and B12 as well as folic acid and some amino acids. Eating yogurt will help maintain healthy levels of beneficial bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

Kefir is one of the oldest cultured milks. It has a bubbly effervescence and no bitter aftertaste. It is a fermented milk and contains a mixture of several species of lactic cultures. Kefir milk helps restore the intestinal flora and may help with digestive troubles because of its easy digestion. It is predigested due to the fermentation process and is tolerable for those people that are lactose intolerant.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:35

Stats: 184/174/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCabbit
Grrr, I used their store locator to find the carb control yogurt, and there are no stores within a 50 mile radius from Va beach that carry this stuff!! I've been craving yogurt really bad. When I got my wisdom teeth out a few months ago (b4 lc) all I ate was yogurt, and now I want sopme delicious Yoplait vanilla yogurt soooooo much! Guess I'll just have to wait. Actually, what I did the other night was mix a spoon or two of Bryer's key lime yogurt with whipped cream and had a mousse like thing, kinda took care of the craving for a bit.

I live in Virginia Beach and just bought it Saturday at Harris Teeter. They also carry the Hood's Carb Countdown.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:52

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

How many carbs are in these? Are there sugar alcohols in them?

Thanks.

Wee
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 04:30

Plan: eclectic
Stats: 221/205/170 Male 5'5
BF:I SHOULD track it
Progress: 31%

BonoLover is correct...the carb count listed on the yogurt cup is greatly exagerated due to the consumption of sugar by the active cultures.

That being said, I'm sitting here eating a Blue Bunny "Carb Freedom" yogurt as I type this. I haven't seen this brand mentioned so I thought I'd bring it up. The label lists 5 grams of carbs for a 6 ounce serving. They come in Peach, Rasberry, Strawberry, and Vanilla Creme. It lists the following active cultures: L. acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, and S. thermophilus; so I'm sure the "real" carb count is negligible. Oh, and it actually tastes good...opinions may vary.

Link:

Blue Bunny Carb Freedom

Note: they also have a new line of "Carb Freedom™ Frozen Dairy Dessert"...but I have yet to try these.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 17:58
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

I tried the Dannon Peach - I think it tastes like peach flavored chalk *blech*
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:46

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I eat the Great Value brand (GV at Wal-Mart) it is really good, and has 13g of carb. I am a diabetic, so I need some carbs. It is a perfect breakfast along with cottage cheese for protein. This yogurt is only 38 cents a cup, and comes in lots of flavors.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:57

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

PamNJ...where did you find the Total greek yogurt?
I would rather eat that than any other kind...just doesn't seem to be around here...
Thanks,
Kelly
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I also mix the Raspberry with 4 ounces of 4% cottage cheese to boost the protein up and give the cottage cheese a little flavor.

It's my usual afternoon snack.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:10

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Freddy's has it in the Northwest. I tried vanilla creme and I liked it. I bought strawberry too, I hope its good.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:31

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I like the strawberry,though I agree with Imber, the portion is skimpy. But Dannon cut back the size of their regular yogurt last year too. Of course, the price remained the same. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Trainerdan has a good suggestion too, about mixing in some cottage cheese to give it more substance.

Vanilla is on my list next!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:06

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have the raspberry cream and I really like it. A co-worker gave me a pack of the vanilla and I'm going to try it tomorrow. They are on sale right now at Fred Meyer 3 for $5!

Wee