Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
Shall we agree on 25 carbs (after fibre) from fresh, low-carb veggies, plus, say 5 'discretionary' carbs from coffee, eggs, seasonings, etc.? I agree with Doreen that 25 carbs from lettuce and cabbage alone is probably a bit much to ask.

I'm okay with this except I try very hard to not go over 25 carbs in a day (at any time). So for me I will just have to tweek a bit to get me at a level 25 carbs (which is okay). It will just mean no eggs for me (which I o.d.'d on today anyhow).

Quote:
Too bad Karen isn't around to be part of this discussion .... Karen? We need you! What do the rest of you think, shall we agree on this, at least until we hear from Karen?

Karen, we miss you!! Please come home soon
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking me, too?

Quote:
Shall we agree on 25 carbs (after fibre) from fresh, low-carb veggies, plus, say 5 discretioary' carbs from coffee, eggs, seasonings, etc.? ... shall we agree on this?

If y'all don't mind my chiming in, that makes a lot of sense to me.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 07:37

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Somebody please clarify this for me about the Cal Boost day and "Carbs."

Is the following menu that I spent all day yesterday incorrect?

3 cups chopped broccoli-- 24 carbs
2 cups lettuce-- 3 carbs
5 tbspns salad dressing-- 2 carbs
4 HB Eggs-- 2 carbs
4 oz. macadamia nuts-- 16 carbs
1 cup shrimp-- 2 carbs
2 chicken drumsticks-- 0 carbs
10 strips bacon-- 0 carbs

Total 48 carbs (minus fibre- 25 carbs) = 23 carbs net

If I am on the wrong track, I don't know how I will be able to come up with the 2400 calories that I require.

25 carbs less fibre comes from the GREEN Veggies as stated in v1.2.

HELPPPP

Regards
Joe
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:09

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

It looks fine, except for the macadamia nuts, Joe. Why don't you get your fats/oils from dressing your veggies with olive oil, mayo, sesame oil (my fave), instead of the nuts? High cal, no dairy, zero carbs.

Rachel
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 12:58

BF:
Cool

Thanks Rachel, will give it a looksee.

I have already got 5 tablespoons of salad dressing which is mostly olive oil.

I might as well start taking CASTOR OIL instead of pysillium husks (Joke)

Am I not allowed any carbs beyond the 25 which has to be green veggies only?

Regards
Joe
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:43

BF:

So far, the consensus seems to be an additional 5 carbs from coffee, eggs, etc. Read a little further up this post for discussion. I think most of us don't want to eat more than 30 carbs, all totalled, in a day.

Rachel
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:47
Registered Member

Default Hi, Joe! more on CalBoost

We haven't "met" but I'll butt in anyway

No nuts, seeds, fruits (including avocado & tomato) or high-carb veggies (root storage mostly, like potatoes). Therein lies the pattern. Therefore no brazils.

Max up to 25 NET (total carbs less fiber) from the veggies ... tho if a coffee hound or a spice fiend, up to 5 more carbs from black coffee, tea, or spices (like pepper, cinnamon, ginger...)... though Doreen got creative and used coconut "milk" to lighten her coffee.

Hope that helps?

PS: I laid out my Cal Boost menu last night and it really helped that I had in the fridge extra servings of dairy-free Fat Fast stuff, like super-mayo egg salad. Like the others have said, planning is the only way to do this, because I just couldn't imagine getting the calories up without digging in the fridge and laying it out on paper ahead of time.
PPS: I'll be putting extra garlic-chili flaxseed oil (Omega Nutrition makes it) along with chinese toasted sesame oil on my green beans tonight, too.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 19:07

BF:
Cool

Thanks Rachel and Judi for your help.

I have gone and substituted oil for macadamia nuts.

Will see what develops.

Regards
Joe
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 00:25
Registered Member

Unhappy Uh Oh My Turn...

Sure hope somebody else is awake out there or I'll have to go sip oil! Aaaaaaackkkkk!

No to be TOO anal about the whole thing, but it's been plaguing me since I posted today's (Day 3 for me) menu ... the coconut milk (pretty darn low carb and high fat but dang it, that thing's a SEED!). Hope we can get a consensus... I mean it makes sense to me that a little in the coffee is one thing but a large serving of Coconut IceCream or pudding (to get that calorie count up) might be another, eh?

And then there's Ghee. If clarified butter/ghee has all the little dairy particles cooked/seived out (which they do), then is it still dairy? I ask because it's highly palatable and I can then do something about my problem with coconut (the seed) milk in larger quantities...

Ok Ok, I admit I'm probably being anal (can you say root word of analyst?) but heck, this is a study with parameters, so it pushes my buttons to the max...

Please help me, Rachel (Karen and Doreen having absconded!).
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:02

BF:
Default Ghee and coconut milk

Ooooh, dear. Karen and I never thought of all these details when we 'cooked' up this study!

OK, I'll make an arbitrary decision here, and unilaterally declare ghee a FAT for the purposes of this Study.

I couldn't find ghee in Netzer or the USDA database. Netzer does, however, list something she calls 'butter oil,' which I think is ghee, since it contains cholesterol, unlike veg/nut oils. She lists it under 'oils,' so, if it's oil for Netzer, it may as well be oil for us.

As for coconut milk, it's so low carb, even a fairly large serving ought to fit into the five 'discretionary' carbs, or at least not go too far over. We're allowing coffee here, after all, which is a bean. I think the main point of Calorie Boost day is to eat those veggies, veggies, veggies, and keep other sources of carbs as low as possible.

I think we do need, maybe for the next study, to give the 13x body weight a re-think. Maybe there should be some kind of max on it. For me, 13x 138 is 1794 calories, which is quite do-able, and sometimes I sometimes even hit this on a 'regular' day, if I have a few glasses of wine or a larger meal than usual. I stupidly never thought that someone who's larger and heavier than me might have a considerable problem with the raised calorie aspect of this day. Duh!!!

Does that help at all? Hope so. I don't like sipping oil either.

Rachel
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:18

BF:
Question Ghee?

How does one make this? Melt butter and then skim off the particles?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:39
Registered Member

Talking ahhhhh, thanks!!

Eminent good (common?) sense, Rachel.

I ended up sipping the oil (gaaakkkkkk!) anyway last night but it was the bottom of the jar and (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkk) tasted pretty bad. Tossed the remainder out and almost tossed what I swallowed! Have to get some fresh stuff, for sure.

The coconut milk ice cream (well, a pudding base actually) is sitting in the fridge, I can have it tomorrow then, being another Calorie Boost day.

Maybe the 13X needs to be "as close to 13X as one can get" with a definite, documented effort to go no lower than 12X... hmmmm ... or 13X +/- 10% ... or maybe the next version of the study should be something like 10X to 13X of Goal Weight... Urk.

Ghee/Clarified Butter/Butter Oil is A-OK as an Oil with me

PS: you make a dandy executive
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:41
Registered Member

Quote:
stina said:
How does one make this? Melt butter and then skim off the particles?

That's about it, Stina. I think there's a good description in the Fran McCullough cookbook, or any good cookbook for that matter... just remember to be patient and keep the temperature low, you don't want browned butter particularly...
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:53

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks!

I need something for this massive amount of broccoli that I will try and get down today I have a feeling this much fibre after a day like yesterday is going to, um, well, not be good (and I'll leave it at that).

Thanks for the tip. I miss cheese for my broccoli!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 11:12

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Island Girl
You mentioned a pudding that I would love to make for my calorie boost day, TODAY!! could you possibly direct my to the recipe or maybe print it out for me... I am having a really hard time meeting my 2600 calorie mark and this might make it a bit tastier..
Quote:
The coconut milk ice cream (well, a pudding base actually) is sitting in the fridge, I can have it tomorrow then, being another Calorie Boost day

Thanks Sandi