Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Smile Another 5lb down

Well since i've gotten the book and now doing it correctly i've lost another 5lbs, i'm now 12 stone , i don't usually weigh myself til later in the week but i just had an incline that i was down a few lbs.
Just incase my scales were wrong i went to see my local Gp and she is delighted and agree's that it's a 5lb loss. That's 10lbs in 2 weeks the first week i went wrong and was also eating plums cherrys and peanuts. But now i am doing it by the book.
I feel great my energy is really going up and i can tell it's helping my pcos which is all good. I know that now my weight loss will slow down a fair bit does any 1 know how much it drops? Does it go down to 1lb a week?
Bye for now x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:28
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Your weight loss all depends on your own body, the ammount of exercise you do, the amount of carbs you eat, the amount of sugar-alcohols etc etc etc

A couple of weeks after induction (still mainly on induction rules) I was stalled for 5 or 6 weeks at the same weight; hopefully I'll be able to confirm tomorrow that this has started to move in the right direction

I've totally cut out the sugar alcohols and stuff for the last wee while and it didn't make any difference, but will wait till the weight starts consistently coming off again till I try them again.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 02:58

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi DevonGal

Congratulations on another 5 pounds gone. This must have inspired you to keep at it.

Your on going weight loss is much as Doogie describes, and depends upon your body. It could be as much as two or three pounds a week, but if you can do one a week then that is good. The last 10 pounds will be the hardest to lose.

Continued success.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:48
Registered Member

BF:
Default just wondering?

I was just wondering , When you have 10lbs to go and they are difficult to shift, whether it would work if when i get that far , to go back onto induction would shift those last few pounds?
I can definatly feel the differance , my tummy is already looking a little flatter and i'm running about the house with alot more enthusiasm and energy then i had my sister is dieting low fat and she also has pcos i have told her about atkins and she see's a differance in me after only 2 weeks but she isn't sure about doing it ( i will work on her) lol
Thanks again for your support , praise and help
Tracey x
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 02:53

Hi Tracy

Quote:
When you have 10lbs to go and they are difficult to shift, whether it would work if when i get that far, to go back onto induction would shift those last few pounds?

It will not work any quicker going back to induction as what you really need is to ensure that you have a good balance of hormones. When you get to that stage you may need to measure calories as well as carbs and step up your exercise regime to induce your body to shed those pounds.

Time will tell. Don't worry about it until you get there.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 04:56

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:

Tracey, in addition to what Anne said, Atkins recommends that you lose the last 10lb as slowly as possible. That phase of the programme is called "pre-maintenance" and the aim is to increase your carbs to a level where you are losing less than one pound a week, so that when you hit goal you more or less know how many carbs you will be able to eat to maintain your goal weight permanently.

Last edited by SylviaUK : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 04:59.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 08:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks for that , i am happy with the slow approach i can feel and also see the differance , my husband can notice it more easily. I am going to start doing a few aerobics video's i already walk the dog for 1hour a day.
I'm glad i found this site your all very helpful Thank you xx
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/162/136 Female 5 ft 6 '
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi devon gal
I,m an irish gal living in norfolk. I just started induction. I also have PCOS. I have read the atkins book cover to cover and it seems to make sense. Any idea where I can get ketone sticks? I looked in boots but couldn't see any?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:31

BF:

At my local chemists, ketostix were kept in the pharmacy bit - had to ask and wait until the dispensing chemist guy was in. Boots might keep them in the same sort of place ?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:
Yes some boots do them but they are in the pharmacy bit i've read some people get asked what they want them for , i get mine from local pharmacy and he dishes out my dosage of metformin so i guess he thinks that's why i use them.
A local LLoyds pharmacy should do them they are also doing free diabeties test etc so i guess they know about ketostix, IF you have any probs let me know and i will see where my friend get's hers as she is also in norfolk
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 06:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks.
Am going to try the dispensing area in boots. Have a splitting headache today..probably due to missing my 15-20 cups of coffee..have switched to decaf but it just doesn't taste the same. I know I'm not supposed to drink diet coke because of the caffine but what about diet 7up. Brought one of those carbolite bars in superdrug yesterdau..yummy. Are we allowed eat them whilst on induction. If not ooops
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 06:58

Hi Kitty and welcome

Try to keep off the carbolite bars during induction if you can. Remember though, although low in carbs they are high in calories, so don't eat to many.

On the ketostix front, Most pharmacies will have them, but some refuse to let you have them, particularly Boots, unless you say you are a diabetic. So take care. Once you've tried them once you probably will not get another pack as they are not that good an indicator of what is happening in your body. Never use them these days.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:10

BF:

All diet drinks available off the shelf in the UK are sweetened with aspartame. (Please someone prove me wrong, please!) - You can get ones sweetened with sucralose from net retailers who import it from the US or somewhere else.

Dr. A says aspartame is a no-no due to the fact that it can slow down weight loss in some people, plus it's a pretty nasty chemical IIRC.

The sugar free jelly that I get (Rowntrees) is sweetened with aspartame, but I only have a couple of them a month.

As for carbolite bars; a big part of induction is cleaning out your body and your tastebuds, and getting rid of addictions to junk food etc, getting you used to eating good wholesome food..... chocolate bars don't exactly fall into that area, and are basically giving in to your addictions before you've broken them properly.

Sugar alcohols can also cause stalls in some people - see here

But it is a case of try and see if they stall you.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:09
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

KittyFord you sound just like i do lol , i stuck to Diet Coke 2ltrs and 2ltrs of water a day. I had Decaf coffee which i didn't mind but i had awful headaches from giving up my 20 a day cup of coffee habit.
I've just gone past my 2 week induction *yesterday* And lost 14lbs in weight i have done no excersise so i guess it depends on each person and how they lose weight,etc. I've definatly lost off my tummy in a strange way it's around the sides but still got a round belly in the middle lol and lost a bit of my bust,bum and arms.
Good luck you will stop craving things soon i messed up at the beginning by eating , cherrys,plums and sticking to my coffee but i've given up those and still losing weight now i don't even think about eating anything other then what i'm allowed.... As if i just don't want those things now.
(the worse part is eating in mcdonalds and pulling off the bun infront of people lol) Best of Luck , maybe we can keep eachother going lol
Bye for now
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:00
Registered Member

BF:

congrats devon gal
Wow a whole stone..thats pretty amazing. I know different people lose different amounts of weight..but thats going to keep me motivated. My first week weigh in is saturday morning so I'll let you know how I get on. But I'm just back from the cinema and I didn't have any Ben and Jerry's ice-cream!! I found I didn't even crave it..strange.
kitty