Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 02:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
Here are some pointers that I have put together that have helped me in my quest to losing weight.

1) Mentally prepare yourself by saying that this is not a diet, but rather a way of life, and a way of eating.

2) Don’t compare your results with other people’s results. Everyone loses at different rates, and men seem to lose quicker than women do.

3) Don’t worry about how long it will take to lose the weight. The time will pass anyhow, so you might as well be low carbing and enjoying the benefits of it.

4) Stay away from high carb foods in the beginning of your plan. Allow your insulin and sugar levels to stabalize, and let your body become more sensitive to insulin. In my case, I pretty well avoided any sweets and high carb foods for the first 3 months. After that, an
occasional sweet or other high carb food was never a problem for me. Just make sure you don’t start making it a daily occurance. However, chances are by this time, the sweet or other high carb food just doesn’t taste as good as it used to.

5) Try and incorporate an exercise program into your plan. Start off slowly, and build from there.

6) I always try (but not always successfully) to make supper the smallest meal of the day, and to have very few carbs at supper, and no fruits in the evenings. Any fruit consumed (usually only strawberries or raspberries) is eaten at breakfast or lunch.

7) Nuts, Cheese, and Low Carb Bars – These always seem to be sticky issues for people. I for one, eat a lot of nuts, especially peanuts, and always indulge in the Low Carb Bars – especially the Atkins Bars. These seem to cause some people to stall, and the Low Carb Bars have “hidden carbs” in them, and there is an ongoing debate as to if ingredients in these bars, like Glycerine, affect blood sugar levels or not. Use the Hidden Carb Calculator to determine what the extra carbs are, and include these in your daily carb count. The difference is not that much (about 7 grams for the Atkins Bars), but this can cause problems for some people.

8) Drink as much water as you possibly can. I found this very hard to do at first, but I kept at it, and kept forcing myself to keep drinking, and eventually, I started enjoying drinking the water, and now feel lost without a water bottle or two with me. Since I drive about 40 km to work everyday (1 way), I always try and drink 1 liter of water on my way to work, and another on my way home, and with the recent heat wave we had, I was sure glad to have the water with me.

9) Make this Way Of Eating a Way Of Life. Always be aware of what you are eating, and try to avoid putting yourself into situations where it would lead you off your plan, especially in the beginning.

10) Read as much as you can about low carbing, insulin, blood sugar, diabetes, etc. I always try and look at both sides of the issue (pro and con of low carbing). Never blindly follow, without doing some research and asking questions first. The more you know, the better equipped you will be to achieve your goals of losing weight and better health.

11) The Low Carb plan is pretty simple to follow, but it is not too rigid in that you cannot modify it to best suit yourself. I am always experimenting and changing things up on my plan, while adhering to the basic guidelines.

12) I have adopted a new response when people question what I am eating, especially when eating out. When I order and tell the server to hold the bread/pasta/rice, etc, I always tell them that I am diabetic, and I have to watch what I eat, and that I cannot eat any sugar. This usually silences most people, because, lets face it, most people are ignorant towards the complex relationship between food, blood sugar, insulin, diabetes.

13) Keep coming back to this site. In my opinion, it is the best low carb site around. What I like about it is that the main posters are very helpful, but at the same time they don’t babysit people. If you screw up, they will let you know, and they will tell you to go and reread the books.

Let me end by saying that by no means am I an expert on Low Carbing, but after 10 months and 72 pounds lost, I feel that I have come a long way, but I also have a long ways to go before I reach the goal that I have etched in my mind. My next stage is to really start building more muscle mass, and ridding myself of the last remnants of my excess fat, and this could be the hardest part yet.

Hopefully these pointers may help someone who is stalled or just feeling down

Genesis (Bill)

Thanks, great advice!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 14:35

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Good advice

I just came across this thread. Thanks for the advice especially 3, 4 and 13 all shucks! all of them hit the nail on the head, simple & explicit. Couldn't have covered it any better.

Thanks
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-06, 06:56

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Someone led me to this thread. PROBABLY THE BEST THREAD I'VE READ! Thanks to everyone!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 15:17

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 346/218/150 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 65%
Smile Thanks

Hey. Thanks for the post.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 14:45

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

bumping message..good post.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

New to low carb and loved your post on the low carb tips Gensis
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 06:48

Plan: still researching
Stats: 180/180/130 Female 164cm
BF:

thanks for this post -

another suggestion is to tell the waiter if he/she asks that you are sort of like a cealiac and can't handle wheat. they should leave you alone after that
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 07:12

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 236/199/125 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I wish this post could be stickied!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 03:35

Plan: Idiot-Proof Diet by India
Stats: 169.5/140/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I like 2 and 3 - ie not comparing your weight loss with other people's and worrying about how long it is taking. However, would be loath to fake a medical condition - eg diabetes - to explain away low carbing...
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-09, 21:14

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

great reread!!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 07:04
Registered Member

Plan: no carb after 8pm
Stats: 130/115/105 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress:

Point 6 is very important, it makes a big difference not to eat after 8pm.!!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 10:13

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default My favorite was the response to eating ?s

A lot of people get annoyed when I eat healthy. As if I'm "no fun". I know that that's their problem, but it's a hassle. My doc just ordered insulin tests for me so now I"ve been telling people I'm concerned for my health, and they seem to understand that.

It's interesting that these very same people are not concerned about their own health. Every one of them could stand to lose a minimum of 20 pounds and several of them could stand to lose 50 or more.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-09, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: Not yet
Stats: 143/143/123 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

My sister just started a low carb diet, I'll send this to her. Congrats on your accomplishments!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 23:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/198/165 Female 5'10"
BF:single ;)

wow, you've worked so hard to reach your goals....what great advice! thx. Gina
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 09:45

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

Very, very helpful tips for me...when I read this lists of tips you wrote....it inspired me to trudge along...and it even excites me a bit! I am excited to be in control of my eating and see the tape measure show inches lost and the scale showing smaller numbers...the tips also helped me to pound down into my brain that this weight loss takes time...this is not a 2 or 3 month process but a year or so and then keeping it off means never going back.