Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:35

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%

Hi PJG,

I took the liberty of looking into your grain problems as a celiac.I typed into google- whole grains+gluten free and came up with the link below.I think the answer may be in this article to help you out.If not,you could type the same into google and you will find there is much more info to be read.I think Bob's red mill also has breads for you.Hope this helps and have a good day.

http://www.coeliac.com.au/AWOH%20Wh...r%20Summary.htm

Linda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
My problem will be when I start adding grains, etc. I have celiac disease, which is an allergy to gluten which is found in rye, barley, wheat,etc. Oats are still iffy but there have been some very successful studies in Finland which shows that Oats may be okay for celiac adults. Anyway, my concern is getting the fiber in my diet.
There are other "grain" type foods that you may want to check into. Amaranth is very high in fiber, and there is quinoa, unhulled millet, wild rice and buckwheat. A cruise through the grain section of a natural food stores should give you a good idea of the possibilites available.

Karen
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 00:17

Plan: south beach
Stats: 220/211.5/174 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up south beach

I've been on the south beach plan since about the 1st of feb and have lost 7.5 pounds. It is low carb but not as restrictive the first 2 weeks which I'm grateful for. I'm a quasi vegetarian (an ovo-lacto) because I feel better when I restrict meat and poutry.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:08

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi PJB,
I had much less constipation with SBD than with Atkins so I think you should be fine on veggies anyway which are gluten-free. I find adding most breads stalls me anyway. Is Quinoa an option? Is that gluten-free? Lin seed? There is German bread you can buy with it but it probably is mixed with gluten-containing grain. If i were you I would try to bake with whatever is the grain you can use, buying it in a whole grain form. I certainly can't have bread every day anyway, so making a few small loaves and freezing may be what you have to do.

That is the one thing about SBD I find: it is never quick and easy - you have to cook, and do and prepare.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:01

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 206/183/135 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Instroduction - new member

Hello,
My name is Lois and I just joined this forum today. Today is also the end of 4 weeks on the Southbeach diet and I have lost 23 pounds.

I have no cravings - I am no hungry at all -- some days I skip snacks or a meal when I am really busy at work.

I must say tho, I do not drink enough water. I am very happy on the SB plan. Last year I lost 15 pounds on Atkins but my cholesterol went sky high (and I was taking 20mg of Lipitor). My liver enzymes were up as well and I had a bad gall bladder attack. I stopped the plan, had my gall bladder removed and proceeded to feel sorry for myself and gained back the 15 pounds I lost plus added 20 more.

Now having started all over again but with the SBD, within the first 3 weeks, I had afasting blood test and my cholesterol came way down - good cholesterol was doubled and the doc lowered my dosage of Lipitor. So I am very happy. Hope to get support on this board and to lend some support to others if I can. I am very glad to be here!
Lois
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:26

Hi Lois and welcome,

It sounds like the SB has been wonderful for you.I am hoping next time i go that my #'s are improved,too. It was great to hear all the enthusiastic and positive feedback...thanks.

If you want a lot of support,maybe you could start a journal to keep track of what you are doing....and how far you go.If you don't know how,there are instructions for newbies on the home page.

Great meeting you,
Linda
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:08

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the welcome Linda. I am at work and really can't start a journal right now and my home computer is out for repair and won't be back for a couple of weeks. I will start a journal at that time.

I just wanted to respond to let everyone know that the Southbeach plan really works. Sometimes you need to eat less calories even tho the book says you don't need to count calories. I find that if I eat too much food I don't lose. So I just eat until my hunger is satisfied (not my mouth...if you know what I mean!) My husband laughs at me when I tell him that my mouth is hungry.... he knows I'm looking for chocolate or cake!

If after 15 or 20 minutes I still feel like I need more food, I'll eat some more but I usually find that I'm really not hungry anymore.

This is a nice board and I'm glad to be here.
Lois
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:09

BF:
Progress:

Actually I goofed on my first message, this is week 6 -- I think I said I completed 4 weeks on SBD but it was really 5 weeks.
Lois
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:48

Hi again,Lois,

I think you are so right about eating too many cals. I have really been paying attn. to how I react to doing certain things and I do need to cut back on my cals. to lose.It might be because I do not have as much to lose now but nevertheless,I want to be done with "dieting" and get on with life,normally,without having to obsess.Hmmm...wondering if that will ever happen?? I have been up and down 2 lbs. this past 2 wks. and I finally started exercising again and most importantly I got a handle on how much I'm eating. I think I'm getting it all straight in my head now.
Linda
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 198/178/160 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Tomorrow is my first day on the SB diet. Today I'm just trying to watch what I eat and start to get away from the pastas and breads and sugars. I'm looking forward to joining you all.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 08:40

I'm joining you,today,Jan..I went back to P1 as the cravings came back due to adding back in too many carbs.We can both do this together.

Welcome aboard,
Linda
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:27

Stats: 162/148/125 Female 60"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for opening up to SBD! So far I have been very successful with this WOE more than any other "diet" I have tried in the past. Everyone is different & we all just need to find our comfort place, this is mine
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 07:33

Stats: 202/188/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 44%

thanks all
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:35

Stats: 148/135/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I also hope the SB section continues.

Mark and I bought and read the SB book from cover to cover in January and decided the South Beach diet made the most sense for OUR needs. I am hoping we will be able to find good support here and good sources for recipes that are low fat, low carb AND low budget. I have a sweet tooth that I have to satisfy periodically, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream just isn't an option anymore.

Mark has already reached his target weight, I still have farther to go. We have both found the SB diet to be fairly easy to adhere to. In phase 2, we were both happy to add back limited fruits, more low fat dairy products and limited good carbs like oatmeal and whole wheat.

I find I have a day or 2 a month where I am more likely to be hungry, and can only guess that it is based on hormone levels.

I know I feel much better after cutting out both caffeine and most sugars. I no longer have a constant tremor in my hands and I no longer get that late afternoon feeling that I'm going to pass out if I don't eat immediately.

Christina (NoPlaceLikeRoam)
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 205/178/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Tamarian,

You write "It is worth explaining that the book only mentions low-fat dairy, due to its position regarding saturated fats. i.e. the book is not encouraging low-fat, it's advocating low saturated fats. We disagree with this position, but we disagree with the label "low-fat", as it is inaccurate."

Did you instead mean, "We agree with this position, but we ..."

Otherwise I would expect, "We disagree with this position, and we also ..."
Closed Thread