Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:17

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Vancouver Province - Guilt Free Holiday Treats

Why do many lc recipes use a combo of AS's, like both Sugar Twin and Splenda? Is the Sugar Twin more like confectioners, if not why not just use one or the other?

Thanks for these recipes... baking this season is going to be a learning experience I'm looking forward to.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 02:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Why do many lc recipes use a combo of AS's, like both Sugar Twin and Splenda?
For four reasons, all of them good.
  1. The combination of Canadian Sugar Twin and Splenda work synergistically and you can use much less of the both of them together than you would use if just using one. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of Splenda, you would use 1/4 cup of Splenda and 1/4 cup of Twin for the same sweetening power.
  2. There is no sweetener aftertaste when you use them together.
  3. Twin has only 12 carbs per cup and Splenda has 24.
  4. Twin is a lot cheaper than Splenda, around half the price.
That's the scoop!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 09:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
For four reasons, all of them good.
  1. The combination of Canadian Sugar Twin and Splenda work synergistically and you can use much less of the both of them together than you would use if just using one. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of Splenda, you would use 1/4 cup of Splenda and 1/4 cup of Twin for the same sweetening power.
  2. There is no sweetener aftertaste when you use them together.
  3. Twin has only 12 carbs per cup and Splenda has 24.
  4. Twin is a lot cheaper than Splenda, around half the price.
That's the scoop!

Karen

Karen, thank you. I will be trying to adapt some of my favorite recipes this way soon. Let me try to understand:

Ok, so the point of combining the AS is to eliminate aftertaste? So using all Sugar Twin would carry it's own aftertaste too? And if I do the math correctly, the ST is 3x sweeter than the Splenda by volume, so would a good general procedure be to calculate the amount of Splenda needed (same volume as sugar I thought) then use 1/4 spenda and same amount of ST? Does this work for all cooked/baked recipes the same as sugar?

sorry for so many questions, thanks for all of your help!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:55
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
And if I do the math correctly, the ST is 3x sweeter than the Splenda by volume
The measures-like sugar Canadian Sugar Twin has the same sweetening power as Splenda by volume.
Quote:
Ok, so the point of combining the AS is to eliminate aftertaste?
It's one of them.

To use the combination, cut the measurement for a recipe using Splenda in half then make up that half with 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar Twin. The combination works in any application.

For example:

1 cup Splenda = 1/4 cup Splenda + 1/4 cup Sugar Twin
1/2 cup Splenda = 2 Tbsp. Splenda + 2 Tbsp Sugar Twin
1/4 cup Splenda = 1 Tbsp. Splenda + 1 Tbsp Sugar Twin

Remember that this works with Canadian Sugar Twin only.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Feb-23-04 at 20:11.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 10:24

BF:

Karen, I really appreciate this help. SO

1. My box of Splenda says it measures cup-for-cup in recipes for sugar; = same sweetening power

Quote:
The measures-like sugar Canadian Sugar Twin has the same sweetening power as Splenda by volume.
Karen

and
Quote:
If a recipe calls for 1 cup of Splenda, you would use 1/4 cup of Splenda and 1/4 cup of Twin for the same sweetening power.

Therefore,
If I have a recipe calling for a cup of sugar, I can use:
-1 cup Spenda, or
-1 cup Sugar Twin, or
-1/4 spenda and 1/4 Sugar Twin because they are 2x sweeter when mixed together.

Ok, do I have it right? I'm ready to go bake something now!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 10:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Yep! You've got it!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Now that Grimalkin has it all figure out, I have a question. What is the difference between Canadian and US Sugar Twin?

I really appreciate all of the culinary wisdom that you share Karen. It is so much fun to experiment with recipes and it is wonderful to have an expert to turn to when there is a question. THANK YOU.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 09:46
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Wendy!

Canadian Twin is made with cyclamate and the American is made with sacharin, Both are heat stable but the cyclamate tastes better. Interestingly, cyclamate is banned in the USA and sacharin is banned in Canada. Both are "tabletop" sweeteners which means they are for personal consumption only and cannot be used in commercial products. Hence the proliferation of aspartame. ace-k and Splenda sweetened products.
I have some American Twin but have not yet got around to playing with it yet.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Dec-15-03 at 09:47.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:23

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks Karen. Now I know what to bring home as a souvenir on our next trip to Canada! In the meantime, I will experiment with the American stuff.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 19:35

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

Are there other AS combinations that are generally known to work well together?

I have erythritol and stevia and quasi-liquid Splenda (Nature's Flavors vanilla)

Does anyone mix these as well?

Thanks! barefoot
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 20:19
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I have had good results with a combination of Splenda and erythritol in my almond-flour banana bread -- I went from 1 1/4c Splenda to 1/4c Splenda and 1/2c erythritol, and I will occasionally cut it to 1/3c erythritol if the bananas are unusually sweet.

I need to try out the Splenda/erythritol combo on the chocolate ganache I've been working on for my cheesecake. It's funny, but the only time I notice an artificial taste with Splenda is in combination with unsweetened chocolate, where it tastes flatter and more bitter than the same amount of sugar would. Increasing the amount of Splenda helps some, but even when it's really sweet, there is still something off about the taste. DH comments on it too, though he is more sensitive to the Splenda taste in other foods than I am. Has anyone else noticed this, or had better luck using a combination of sweeteners with unsweetened chocolate?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:28

Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlee
Has anyone else noticed this, or had better luck using a combination of sweeteners with unsweetened chocolate?

I know this is an old thread, but it asks good questions and has good information so it doesn't hurt to answer, right?

I have noticed a more bitter taste with unsweetened chocolate using just Splenda, but it seems if I use better quality chocolate (for me that would be Droste or Valrhona unsweetened baking cocoa, or Ghirardelli unsweetened baking bars) that helps. Also, lately I've been combining splenda and stevia with pretty good results. I have a liquid Stevia called Stevita (I think I'm spelling that right) I just got recently so I'm still experimenting with quantities, etc.

We should be making a trip to Winnipeg sometime this spring, so with luck I can pick up some Canadian sugar twin
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 04:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use a combination of Davincci syrups (liquid splenda sweetened) and stevia extract. This means no carbs or fillers. However since the DaVincci is a liquid other liquid in the recipe must be reduced to compendate. Also for some recipes that rely on sugar or fillers for texture something bulkier will be needed. For items such as beverages, cheesecakes, and other desserts that don't need the sugar texture, these two sweetners are amazing together.

Have you tried tempering the chocolate to see if there is a better taste. Maybe mix in a little cream as well?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 09:14

Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

Bumpity bump bump!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 12:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Does anyone have the carb counts on powdered equal? I saw on this board where bulk sugar twin was 12 carbs per cup. Does equal work well with splenda? I bought a liquid saccarin (called Fasweet) but when I tasted it, it was so bitter I was afraid to use it. Is sugar twin the same way (U.S. version)? I'm just learning about mixing sweetners. Is mixing more than two better/worse?