Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Chocolate Truffle Torte

This is adapted from a Delia Smith recipe, and was a favourite of mine before I began low carbing. It occurred to me that, given the ingredients, it could be suitable for a low carb woe and the following recipe is the end result of my testing! If you want to make a smaller torte, just divide the amounts given in half.

This is a great pudding to serve at Christmas

Chocolate Truffle Torte
Serves 10 – 42g net carbs for the whole recipe, approx 4.2g net carbs per serving

1lb/450g Dark Chocolate*
1 pint/570ml Double Cream
5 tbsps Dark Rum
5 level tbsps Splenda
3oz/75g ground almonds (optional)

* I use Thornton's Diabetic Dark Chocolate for this - after deduction of polyols, it has 3.3g carbs per 100g. Obviously the overall carb count will change depending on the particular chocolate you use for this recipe.

Line a 9 inch (23cm) cake tin with greaseproof paper, then lightly brush with groundnut oil. Sprinkle the ground almonds over the bottom, covering the area completely. Break the chocolate into pieces and put them, with the rum, in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Leave until the chocolate has completed melted, take off the heat and add the Splenda, stirring well – leave to cool for 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, beat the cream until only very slightly thickened. Fold half into the chocolate mixture, mix well, and then fold it back into the remaining cream. When completely blended, pour into the cake tin. Smooth the top with a palette knife. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight. To serve, run a palette knife round the edge to loosen it, then turn the torte out onto a large plate and dust with a little cocoa powder. Serve with cream, to which you could add some rum for an extra special treat!

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 20:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Ohhh Demi - this sounds heavenly! Thank you!
Saved and filed.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 07:49
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

OH YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! I can't wait to try this!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 16:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Id double cream like US heavy whipping? The only double cream I can get here is devonshire and has sugar. It is also more of a solid then a liquid.

Also what is groundnut oil. Would almond or walnut oil work?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 16:26

BF:

Double cream is heavy cream and either almond or walnut oil would work just as well.

Quote:
Groundnut oil
Extracted from peanuts (so also called peanut oil), groundnut oil is pale in colour and of a light consistancy. It has a subtle, pleasant flavour and can be heated to a high temperature without burning. An excellent all-rounder perfect for making mayonnaise, with just a little olive oil added for flavour, and it's an extremely useful oil for cooking – oriental dishes in particular, because with these the flavour of olive oil is alien and too strong. Warning: because groundnut oil is made from peanuts, people who suffer from any nut allergy should avoid it
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 04:19

BF:
Default Revised recipe

I made this last week to take to a Forum Get-together. I also tweaked the recipe, and I think that this latest version is even better than the original:

Chocolate Truffle Torte

Serves 10

1 lb (16 oz) / 450g Sugar-free Dark Chocolate*(see note below) or Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa Chocolate
1 pint / 20 fl oz / 570ml Double Cream
6 tbsp / 3 fl oz / 75 ml Dark Rum
5 level tsp (or amount to taste) low carb sweetener of choice, if required
4 oz /100g butter

Line a 9-inch spring-form cake tin with greaseproof paper, and then lightly brush with groundnut oil.

Break the chocolate into pieces and put them in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Add the rum and butter, and then leave until the chocolate and butter have completed melted, take off the heat and add the sweetener (if required), stirring well – leave to cool for 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, beat the cream until only very slightly thickened. Fold half into the chocolate mixture, mix well, and then fold it back into the remaining cream.

When completely blended, pour into the cake tin. Smooth the top with a palette knife. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight.

To serve, run a palette knife round the edge to loosen it, then turn the torte out onto a large plate and dust with a little cocoa powder. Serve with cream, to which you could add some rum for an extra special treat!

For the whole Torte, made with Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa Chocolate (19g carbs per 100g): 5843 calories / 564g fat / 98g carbs / 58g protein
Per serving: 584 calories / 56.4g fat / 9.8g carbs / 5.8g protein

For the whole Torte, made with LC Dark Chocolate (3g carbs per 100g)*: 5533 calories / 519g fat / 28g carbs / 30g protein
Per serving: 553 calories / 51.9g fat / 2.8g carbs / 3g protein

* You may need to check and revise the carb count for the chocolate that you use, if its carb count is not 3g carbs per 100g (this was the carb count for the particular SF LC chocolate that I used). Also, if you use Splenda, you need to factor those carb amounts in too. I didn’t use any sweetener when I made this, as I felt that, due to the chocolate I used, it tasted sweet enough without it – this may not be the case if you use the 85% Lindt though, as it's quite a bitter chocolate.

Last edited by Demi : Sat, Dec-04-04 at 06:43.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 14:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I made a LC choc torte like this for Easter -- PHENOMENAL. I used the recipe from Linda's LC Recipe site. Next time I shall add the dark rum as mentioned in this recipe. Mine used Lindt 70% ( so the carb count is higher -- it really is a special occasion cake ) and Sweetzfree. I may try it with Lindt 85% next time. I still found this to be sweet -- although DH said it was bitter. MORE FOR ME! I'm going to try and freeze some.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 14:07
Registered Member

Stats: 245/235/190 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Demi, thanks for this super-simple recipe! No bake desserts are GOLD this time of year.

*humming* I got a birthday coming up, I know what I'm makin' meself...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 14:18

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Now I just wish I had a party to go to so I have an excuse to make this! THANK YOU!!!