Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 06:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default What's your favourite cardio??

My gym instructor has advised me that I should probably do more cardio.

I've just started lifting weights in the gym, currently do pilates and supple strength classes, along with body sculpt. I also take part in a weekly power walking class, as well as Deep Water Aqua.

Anyway, I'm really not keen on step or aerobics, so am interested to see what everyone else does for their cardio workouts, as I'm hoping to find something that perhaps I might enjoy as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 12:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

My cardio isn't exciting ... It's just time on the treadmill. LOL. I set it on the random program with a steep incline.

The machine adjusts automatically.I geta different workout everytime. Sometimes I am walking uphill most of the time, and sometimes it'sa flat jog.

Never know what it will throw at me.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 16:16
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I agree with Dan, I love the treadmill. You can walk, run, powerwalk, set it at different inclines--it's a new workout every time. And it's great if you want to listen to music on your walkman, because there's usually a shelf to rest the player on.

I also don't mind the rowing machine, but usually can't stand doing it for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. It's also a lot harder to listen to music because the motion tends to make the CD player skip.

I used to go to a lot of aerobics classes, but don't anymore because I need to control my own music, lol.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 235/135/130 Female 63 inches
BF:27
Progress: 95%

My most favorite is running on the treadmill. After that, I like the elliptical. I'm too uncoordinated for aerobics, LOL! Absolutely hate the bikes!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 00:31
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Right now I'm doing a lot of indoor cycling -- I've got my old road bike on a magnetic resistance training stand -- I can read, watch videos, etc, and it's easy to work with my heart rate monitor.

I also bought a Nordic Track on the strength of Pete Egoscue's recommendation in his book ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...glance&n=507846 ). It's amazing how little you can get a used Nordic Track for these days.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 05:56

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

Just bought a exercise bike, waiting for it to arrive as it's too cold to go running outside! Aim to cycle 45 minutes four times a week. Oh and I love swimming! When I can make it!!!

Demi, it that little joke from Absolutely Fabulous? Love it, love it, love it!

Last edited by Maamel : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 05:58.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:26

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions

I used the treadmill at the gym today and quite enjoyed it, though I still prefer walking outside. But it's a great substitute if the weather's bad (like it was today ).

Thinking about trying kickboxercise - has anyone else done that?

Yes, Maamel, it is from AB FAB
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

It's a great workout ... burns alot of calories and the time goes fast. LOL.

Just be sure not to over-extend your arms and legs on your punches and kicks. It's easy to do since you are not hitting an actual target.

Keep an eye on it ... your knees and elbows should never "lock-out". Always keep a slight bend in them.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

The only important thing is to get your heart rate elevated. The main muscle that can do that is the thighs and calves. So running or walking at incline on the treadmill (dreadmill) will do the job most efficiently. I will do a stair routine. That's starting at 10mpm for five minutes, then 9mpm, then 8, then 7 then 6. Then climb back down: 7mpm, 8mpm, etc.

Another workout is doing a flat 12mpm but every 10 minutes crank the mill up to 6mpm and hang on til you're about to puke, then slow it down. Running slow gets the body into fat-burning mode. Sprinting releases growth hormone which makes the body continue to burn fat after the workout is over.

I never do weights; I get enough exercise just shoveling snow this time of the year.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 12:55
Registered Member

Stats: 236/219/165 Male 5'9
BF:Unknown, sorry
Progress: 24%

I jog outdoors, ideally 40-50 minutes 4x a week, 60+ minutes once a week, and 30 minutes one day.

I go in most weather, although I admit there are days I skip because of it. It usually never as bad as you think its going to be.

I have a decent treadmill but, honestly, I can't stand using it. Something about being indoors really parches my throat. Plus, my "training partner" Blizzard, a Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog cross wouldn't get his work out...and he can get a bit feisty when he hasn't been exercised.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 13:04
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I admit I hate using the treadmill. But 20 degrees with minus-zero windchill turns me into a wimp. Also when it's cold I can't easily make myself run fast. The treadmill lets me work on rapid leg turnover.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 13:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/140/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I love kickboxing, we use bags and gloves- whew, what a workout. I just recently was certified in Turbokick which is a non-impact high cardio style of kickboxing. The music motivates and the workout is intense, LOTS of sweat, great for your abs. I also love to do step workouts, at first I was rather uncoordinated ( choreographically challenged) but after a while, I got the hang of it. I love the energy of a group X class and find that I look forward to those 8:00 weekend classes. Give it a try, you may be suprized.

Andrea
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 04:43

BF:

Unfortunately the kickboxercise class has been cancelled at my club due to lack of support So, I'm going to check out what's available on video/DVD, so that I can perhaps do a workout at home.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/140/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Pick up the new Taebo. I think you can find them in the local stores for about 10 bucks each. They are a little difficult at first, but a great workout. Billy Blanks is very motivational and you will see results fast. Just a thought....

A-
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 19:04

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

#1 - Cycling. It rains infrequently where I live and there are a lot of orchards and vineyards around, with not so busy secondary roads. Plus I have had some great cycling vacations.
#2 - Cardio kickboxing, temporarily on hold , also martial arts, a mix of Muay Thai, grappling and wrestling.
#3 - Work. I do soil surveys in the woods in British Columbia