Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 20:22
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Buffalo Chicken Wings - faux TGI Fridays!

TGI Friday's new frozen hot wings now have double sauce and a lot more carbs than they used to. Here's a good basic kitchen-tested hot wing recipe that is easy and cheap.

5 lb bag of frozen chicken wings - thaw in the refrigerator (Wal-Mart)
1/3 - 1/2 cup grapeseed oil to coat bottom of pan (Vitamin Cottage)
1 cup + Franks Red Hot brand Sauce (or more to taste) (I buy the gallon at Sam's Club)
salt - optional (hot sauce usually has enough salt)

You will need a dutch oven or giant fry-pan/dutch oven combo.

Pour oil into pan, turn heat on high, and dump in thawed chicken wings. Stir-fry the chicken wings until they start to brown, then turn down the heat a little so that they continue to fry up, cover the pot, and occasionally stir until they are cooked through. Carefully pour out the excess grease, leaving the wings in the pan. Dump in enough hot sauce to coat the wings, then let this simmer for several minutes.

Portion out about 10 wing segments.

{assume medium size wings and roughly 1 tsp hot sauce per wing - be careful which brand of hot sauce you use... some are very low carb and the others very high carb}

36 g fat
9.5 g saturated fat
.8 g carbs
.5 g fiber
42 g protein

509 calories

Almost zero net carbs!! Assume 1 for good measure!!

Serve with bleu cheese or ranch dressing and celery (and don't forget to count those carbs)

You can bag up 10 wing segments in plastic zip baggies after the wings have cooled and put them in the freezer. Then when you are in the mood for hot wings, you go to your freezer, unzip the baggie, dump the wings into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 4 minutes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 19:25

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I make my wing sauce with Franks, but also with butter... which (from what I've been told is the traditional way to do it)... The more butter you use, the milder the wings will be. I'm a wimp, so I use even sauce to butter ratio...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:07
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Correct... butter is traditional

Yes. Butter is the traditional way to fry wings. My only beef with butter frying is that it has a low tolerance for scorching, and I like to not do any breading with the wings but cook them pretty thoroughly in the oil. (Otherwise I love butter!!)

There's no intermediate step between cooking the wings and adding the hot sauce with this recipe.

Grapeseed oil, btw, has a really pleasing taste, a very high smoking point, and is a pretty healthy oil overall, so it's A+++ for stir fry as well as general frying and baking.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 15:52

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

the butter is not for the frying step... it's to actually be melted right into the hot sauce. some people add some vinegar to the hot sauce/butter mixture for wing sauce.