Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default just to add fuel to the quark....

Yogurt Cheese is way fun and is a lot closer as a substitute for Quark because it's way tangy ...

Might also see it as Labne or Labneh (in a Real Canadian Superstore or a middle eastern store/deli or a health food store).

EASY PEASY to make, too.

Get a big old tub (we have a 2-pounder or 907g available in some brands) of unflavoured whole-milk (3.5-5% butterfat) yogurt, preferably "natural" style without added gelatin or pectin.

Get the biggest sieve or colander you've got and line it with cheesecloth or flattened coffee filters or a washable, very worn and very clean teatowel. Park it over a large and deep bowl.

Spoon the yogurt into the sieve. Cover it with a plate or plastic wrap and put it in a cool dark place (or the fridge) for up to 24 hours. Check occasionally to empty out the big bowl (that liquid is 'whey', is sour and fairly clear, and contains much of the lactose or carbs!). When thick (about halfway between yogurt and cream cheese for thickness) and spreadable, scrape out of the cloth and into a lidded jar or bowl. Keep refrigerated and use quickly. Short "shelf life".

ENJOY!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:35
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Wow!

Karen,
That recipe sound so good. It is making my mouth water just reading it. That will be what I make my husband for his birthday next month I wanted something that I can celebrate with him. Thanks.
P.S. Karen you are a genius for coming up with just wonderful recipes.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You can make it in an 8-inch springform pan so you can have a round cake too!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:38
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks Karen. I don't have springform pan yet what else can I use.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:34
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Default Jack Daniel's

OK, I never drink so I know nothing about alcohol. Is Jack Daniel's Whiskey the same thing as Bourbon? I don't like the taste of alcohol so I'd be really mad at myself if I used the wrong alcohol and it ruined the recipe.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 01:08
Forum Founder

BF:

Some afficionados would say that Jack Daniels is not bourbon. But I'm not one of those people so I call Jack Daniels bourbon. I buy one of those teensy bottles - a bit larger than airplane bottles - and it lasts me forever.

I don't drink, but I don't mind the flavour in this dessert. It's fantastico! Bourbon and chocolate are a natural and it helps the dessert stay softer because alcohol doesn't freeze.

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 01:10
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Thanks Karen. I don't have springform pan yet what else can I use.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I suggested a round pan to make it more birthday like, but the pan specified in the recipe is fine.

Karen
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 06:44
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

Thanks for the "blessing" on the Jack Daniel's. My DH picked up a sample bottle of Jack Daniel's yesterday for me, but I wanted to double check. I got tied up with work this week so I wasn't able to make my LC Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake that you helped me with. But Easter is coming up so it gives me some time to experiment.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Wanda
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 21:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

I made your "ice cream" cheesecake. It really was a life saver in helping to slay my demons, namely my MIL's cinnamon buns.

Only problem was that I got tipsy on the alcohol in the cheesecake. How pathetic am I? I forgot how sensitive I am to alcohol. I actually woke up with a hang over this morning. And no, I didn't eat the whole cheesecake, I ate 1/8th.

Anyway, DH really liked it so he'll finish it off. I guess the next one I make will be non-alcoholic.

I have to say that mixing the artificial sugars didn't leave that aftertaste like Splenda alone does. It's a good trick to use around "the unconverted".
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 23:09
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
It's a good trick to use around "the unconverted".

Isn't it? They can't tell the difference! And neither can I!

Karen
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:07
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

Is it my imagination or did you just become a Forum Founder? If so, , if not, !

I hear ya! I was a bit nervous about using artificial sweetener because it causes cravings for me as well. I was going to make something with stevia, but since I can't experiment much, I didn't want to chance ruining it. But it didn't. Phew!

Hey, any thoughts on maybe a LC stevia cookbook? Ha, probably wouldn't be a bestseller, would it? On the other hand, when done right..... Well, if you ever did do it, I'd be first in line.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Feb-10-03 at 14:11.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:44
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Is it my imagination or did you just become a Forum Founder?

Umm, it's your imagination. What is making me look different is the shaggy beast above my head instead of the lobsters.

Artificial sweeteners...my salvation and my downfall. I use them, but I recognize that they are low-carb methadone.

I think the world will be ready for a switch to Stevia in another two years or so which will be right on time for another cookbook! Look how long it's taken for the world to recognize low-carb as a potentially viable WOE/WOL. And, it's not quite happened...yet.

Once you get more familiar with Stevia, it will become easier to use.

Do you know that you can't use Stevia in commercially prepared foods in the Canada and the USA? Or cyclamates? If I had more time, I'd be into food conspiracy theories.

Karen
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:46
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

Quote:
Umm, it's your imagination. What is making me look different is the shaggy beast above my head instead of the lobsters.

That's what I was referring to - the beastie boy up above your head. I thought names went with those little symbols. Which explains my confusion because I already thought you were a Forum Founder! Thanks for settling that.

Quote:
Once you get more familiar with Stevia, it will become easier to use.

I have a LC Stevia Cookbook, but haven't had much opportunity to use it since as you know, I've been battling my addiction. The recipes I have used have been OK, but I think there were several typos in the book. I'm kind of afraid to make some of the recipes. I contacted the author twice, but never received a response. There is a pumkin cheesecake recipe I would like to try at some point. And there are ice cream recipes using stevia which I'd like to try.

Quote:
Do you know that you can't use Stevia in commercially prepared foods in the Canada and the USA? Or cyclamates? If I had more time, I'd be into food conspiracy theories.

Oh, girl, don't even get me started!!!!!!! I can't believe that stevia cookbooks were on the government's book-burning list. Imagine.

Wanda
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:26
Forum Founder

BF:

I'm well on my way to becoming a Mountie.

Quote:
Oh, girl, don't even get me started!!!!!!!

Whenever you want to get started, I''ll join you in the rampage!

Karen
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 10:35
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Well, I made this last night. I pulled it out of thr freezer this morning and we dug in. It was so awsome, I just loved it. The hard part is not going back for seconds, thirds, and fourths.

We can't have alcohol, so I left the burbon and a couple tablespoons of suger substitiutes out and added a couple tablespoons of DaVinci's SF Hazlenut syrup.

I have a question about the eggs. I recall a few years ago being told not to eat raw eggs because of a chance of them being infected with Salmonella. Is that true or is it a non issue?

Thanks,
Arnie