Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/130/120 Female 5ft 7in.
BF:
Progress:
Default grinding flaxseed

Has anyone out there every tried grinding flaxseed with their food processor or blender? I don't have a coffee mill and all I can find in town are whole seeds and not the flaxseed meal.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, I tried.....and failed. All that happened was that the seeds went for a little ride around the bowl, with only about 2 of them being broken.

That was in a food processor, maybe someone has had better luck in an actual blender?

Sorry.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:39

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

kboat ,

you must use an electric coffee grinder . I regularly grind flax seeds successfully . They are too small to be ground in a food processor . Also never buy ready ground seeds , as you know they are very expensive because of the packaging and also because they do go rancid very qucikly .
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:45
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I had the same experience as Rosebud using the mini chopper/processor attachment of my stick blender...I ended up tossing the seeds out. I bought two grinders...an electric coffee grinder that has grinding plates that rub together....big mistake...I burnt it out first go trying to grind sunflower seeds. The second grinder was a manual coffee grinder (like a big pepper grinder) and that was useless as well. I managed to get my money back on both so I left it at that. I haven't been game to try any others but do wonder if the other type of grinder (with the tiny blade like a mini food processor) is any good.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

Like Rob, I have had great success grinding linseeds (aka flax seeds) in an electric coffee grinder. My only problem then was that I really can't stand linseed "porridge." Blech! Just my personal quirk though. Everyone else I've ever heard of seems to love the stuff.

Kboat, if you do find the ground flax seeds anywhere, be sure to keep them in the fridge, otherwise, as Rob says, they will go off very quickly.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 17:00

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

like Rob does, I use an electric coffee grinder, I have 2, one I use to grind coffee beans and the other I use for grinding flaxseeds. electric coffee grinders are fairly inexpensive at the major chain stores. I only grind enough for a day or two and once ground I keep it in the fridge.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:25
Say cheese!

BF:

Rosebud and jesdorka

do you have the coffee grinder with the mini blade or the grinding plates?

BTW I always buy ground flax seeds and have never had a problem with them going rancid. They're also really cheap to buy in Australia.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:57
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Zed,

I had to go check my coffee grinder to see. It just has 2 little blades, so I guess it's what you would call a mini blade.

And yes, the ground seeds should last for a while. It's just safest to keep 'em in the fridge.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 19:08

BF:

my coffee grinders are the same as rosebud's, 2 little blades

jes
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:52
Say cheese!

BF:

Thanks Rosebud and jes

Typical isn't it.....the only one I haven't tried is the only one that works!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 04:59

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Zedgirl ,

If you have ever tasted rancid flax seeds or worse still rancid flax oil , you wont forget the taste easily . Form experience I can tell you that it is extremely bitter and yuckie . Orrible !! It does go rancid very easily , I wouldnt even keep it more than I need . I once ground some and used it the following morning and I could taste that nasty bitter taste .
Just my tuppence worth.

I have just gotten back into LCing and TG for flaxmeal , I have a great mix for porridge , ok Its not the real McCoy but it will do , here it is .

3 flat Tb plain ISP
1 round Tb psyllium husk
1 Tb golden flax and grind in electric coffee mill
1 Tb butter
pinch salt
1 round Tb Splenda or other
few drops liquid sweetener
drops vanilla
cream
almost 1 cup just boiled water

immediately pour most of the boiled water on the mix and stir vigorously to incorporate it all . Add more water as required to get a smooth paste and to stir out any lumps . Adjust the consistency to suit your taste . I like it quite thick . Finish it off with a dribble of cream and sprinkle with cinnamon if you like it .

It is quite yumm but definitely not Scottish porridge

I hope someone tries and lets me know what they think

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 05:03.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:37
Say cheese!

BF:

That's very odd about the ground flax seed going rancid so quickly. You can buy it pre-packaged here (I do) but the health food stores also sell it loose in big tubs so it must sit there for weeks at a time and not refrigerated either. The few times I've bought it loose it's been fine. Maybe you use a different type of flax seed in the UK or perhaps they do something to it here. I notice you use 'golden flax' in your recipe....I've only used the dark flax so far as you can't buy the golden flax pre-ground.

BTW what's ISP....isolated soy protein?

Your porridge sounds similar to the one I make but mine has whey protein isolate (I can't stand anything soy), almond meal, flax seed meal, ground sunflower seeds and psyllium husk.....you can buy it premixed but I make my own. It's a staple for me.

I recently spent some time in Scotland but didn't try Scottish porridge.......did try black pudding and haggis tho'......no thanks!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:52

BF:

are you saying that what is sitting loose in the big tubs is ground flaxseed? i hope not.
the health food store where i buy my flaxseed also has it loose in a tub however it is not ground but regular flaxseed. it is ok this way, it requires refridgeration as soon as it has been ground

hope that makes sense
jes
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 18:00
Say cheese!

BF:

yes.....they keep ground flaxseed and regular flaxseed sitting around in tubs unrefrigerated. Maybe we're all eating rancid flaxseed meal down here and don't even know it! Now I really do have to buy a grinder so that I can try freshly ground flaxseed to see what it's like.

BTW what's the texture of freshly ground flaxseed like.....is it very oily? The pre-ground stuff we get here is quite dry and light.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 18:29

BF:

i wouldn't say it was oily nor is it dry and light. i guess it could be compared to ground coffee in texture

jes