Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:25

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Alpha Lipoic Acid and Blood Pressure

I've been on 1200 / 2000 mg per day of alpha lipoic acid and evening primrose oil, respectively, for about a week now. I also take Carlson's Fish Oil and Vitamin E. I've noticed a substantial drop in blood pressure (from 125/76 to 110 max / 70 - my lowest reading yesterday was 102/62.) accompanied by substantial increase in pulse rate (from 65 to 95, on average). Nothing else has changed. Sugars are pretty much between 80 and 100 around the clock.

Has anyone else noticed any appreciable change in bp since starting alpha lipoic acid? I should probably count my blessings since I'd like to wean myself from the ACE inhibitor and diuretic anyway, but I'm a little concerned about the high pulse rate.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:01

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

The heart will compensate with a rise in rate if your BP drops too low.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:39

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Can't tell you anything yet, I just read Dr. B's latest ed, and decided to give the ALA and evening primrose a try. Found some in town, will start and get back to you. Bill
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 17:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6h6o3
I've been on 1200 ... per day of alpha lipoic acid ........

hi there,

Most of the resources I've read recommend ALA at 600 - 800 mg per day for diabetic complications, and 100 - 200 mg per day as a general antioxidant. Although I couldn't find any evidence of toxicity at higher doses, perhaps your problem is simply dose-related. Try cutting back to the recommended dosage, and see if that makes a difference.

And Iwilldoit is right, the increased heart rate is compensating for the drop in blood pressure. FWIW, neither level is "bad" .. it's just the fact that there's a change. You're right to be concerned.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hi there,

Most of the resources I've read recommend ALA at 600 - 800 mg per day for diabetic complications, and 100 - 200 mg per day as a general antioxidant.

The dosage is actually only 2/3 of what Dr. Bernstein recommends (see Chapter 15 of the text, Revised Edition). I would take his full dose, but I can't afford it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
The dosage is actually only 2/3 of what Dr. Bernstein recommends (see Chapter 15 of the text, Revised Edition). I would take his full dose, but I can't afford it.

Ooops, I don't have the new edition (yet ) Nonetheless, it's possible that you're sensitive and it still might be worth cutting the dose back. It may help your body to adjust, so that you build yourself up to the full dose gradually instead of all at once.

just a thought

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have been taking ALA for about one year, but only 500 per day. I upped to Dr B's specifications and I can't believe my readings these past few days.

Don't know if it's coincidence or not, but BGL's are really good. I haven't even had a reading over 100 in 3-4 days. (Now, I'll probably have one today, just for mentioning it.) I am getting very low FBGL's too. (76 yesterday and 81 today). Not sure what's going on....but I like it. If it is the ALA and EPO, wow is all I have to say!

Lady who runs my health food store talked me into them last summer. (She called them a "miracle pill". Maybe they are.)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've been on 1200 / 2000 mg per day of alpha lipoic acid and evening primrose oil, respectively, for about a week now. I also take Carlson's Fish Oil and Vitamin E. I've noticed a substantial drop in blood pressure (from 125/76 to 110 max / 70 - my lowest reading yesterday was 102/62.) accompanied by substantial increase in pulse rate (from 65 to 95, on average).
I've been doing a lot of research on ALA lately and I found a few things that might be of interest to you.

A recent University of Montreal study found that supplementing with ALA prevented the development of both hyperglyceamia and hypertension in rats fed glucose. Another study Memorial University in Newfoundland found that Dietary lipoic acid supplementation prevented fructose-induced hypertension in rats. And finally, researchers at Ankara University in Turkey found that "The potency of alpha-lipoic acid on the reversal of hypertension by affecting vascular reactivity and morphology as well as general metabolism of diabetic rats confirms the importance of hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress in the development of diabetes-induced vascular complications and suggests a potential therapeutic approach."

You can read these studies in full here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...5&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...9&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4&dopt=Abstract

As for your increased heart rate - improved heart rate variablilty is also a side effect of ALA supplementation at higher doses (800mg day).

Here's a pretty indepth analysis of everything this anti oxdiant does:

http://www.althealth.co.uk/services...ipoic_acid1.php

HTH
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
I've been doing a lot of research on ALA lately and I found a few things that might be of interest to you.

Thanks for the links. My blood pressure is back to around the 120/80 neighborhood, but WITHOUT MY BP MEDS. It makes sense. If, as Dr. Bernstein has done, I've successfully reduced my insulin production through the insulin-mimetic properties of ALA significantly (he's reduced his by 1/3), you would expect to see lower blood pressures.

I think what threw me was the expectation of lower blood sugar, but mine were already in a good range. With ALA added to the system, it's maintaining the same healthy bg level (80-100 mg/dl) WITH LESS INSULIN. This stuff is truly a miracle product for me.

What's not to like?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:11

BF:

Quote:
What's not to like?
Other than the price? Not a heck of a lot!

I've been taking it for over a year and I'm convinced it's helped with insulin sensitivity and cholesterol - time will tell. We are convinced it's made a difference in my mother's recovery from RA as well.

I'm glad the links proved useful.
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:05

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

I kind of understand why doing science is so hard, controlling all the variables. Just started taking it over the weekend, this morning my before breakfast bg (not fasting, i'd had some brie at bedtime) was 80, down a bunch. And in spite of a bad meal the night before, that I'd tried to eat just a bit of to be polite, which gave pp of 138. So its tempting, to assign it to the ALA, but since my numbers had been high for the last couple of weeks, i'd also upped the weight that I swing on walks, cut down on the cream, which does have SOME carbs. So at this stage, can't say conclusively, but it sure looks promising. Bill
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 16:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Other than the price? Not a heck of a lot!

O Fortune, how you mock me!

Since insurance pays for most of it, it actually cheaper (MUCH cheaper) for me to take the prescription meds than the ALA. This is the reward I get for taking responsibility for my own health! I ask you, is this justice?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
This is the reward I get for taking responsibility for my own health! I ask you, is this justice?
Justice, no. Big business, hell yah. 'Sucks, don't it?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 22:16

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

another article of interest in regards alpha lipoic acid..

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003...t_alpha_01.html
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwilldoit
another article of interest in regards alpha lipoic acid..

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003...t_alpha_01.html

Oh, great. Yet another expensive supplement I'll need to take. Oh, wait, I'm wrong. Two new supplements.