Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Hearty Beef Stew

Here's a beef stew recipe that was origially posted in my journal... with autumn almost here, I'll be making this every week or two.

-- 3 lbs. beef stew meat, diced,
-- 1 yellow onion, chopped
-- 1-1/2 cup sliced carrots
-- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
-- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
-- 1-1/2 cups red wine
-- 1 can beef broth
-- 1 tbs tomato paste

Season the beef with s + p and lightly brown it in a big saute pan; do it in 2 batches; transfer the browned meat to the slow cooker, then deglaze the saute pan with the wine; scrape the good stuff off the pan and add the wine to cooker; add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, tomato paste and beef broth to the cooker; Cook on "high" 5-6 hours; your kitchen will smell like heaven.

The whole thing has about 35 grams of carbs, but it makes about 5 good-sized servings, so figure 7 grams per serving. There are only two differences between this recipe and my regular "high carb" recipe: (1) a can of sliced baby white potatoes; add 'em if you have room for the carbs (2) thicken the gravy with 1-2tbs of corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water just before serving; could use a low-starch thickener if you have it. You can also add some dried herbs, but they aren't really necessary.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:37

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

I dont have a slow cooker. Is there a way to do this in a regular pot on the stove? Also could it be done in a crock pot if I borrowed one?

jaden
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Crock pot, yes (that's just a particular brand of slow cooker).

You could probably cook it on the stove top in a heavy dutch oven, but a crock pot makes it sooooo simple and a hundred times easier to clean up.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 10:16

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I don't see why you can't do this on the stove top. Just let it simmer for a few hours until the meat is tender.

Patty