Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:10
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default What was your kick-start insult or event?

Most of us have been heavy for a long time, but could never muster the desire to do anything about it... then something happens, an insult (perhaps meant as a joke but hurtful), a glance of yourself naked in the mirror, an embarrassing moment in an airplane, etc. that kick starts us on a diet, hopefully THE diet that will solve our problem for good. My question is, what was that insult or event that got you started?

Mine was a dinner party my wife and I were having a few months ago. There were my friends and several family members gathered, including my Mother who is 75 years old. She knew that I had gone to the doctor that week. Anyway, everyone made their plates from a buffet we had set up, and then brought their plates to the dinner table. As I brought in a huge stack of food and sat down, my Mom asked "now son, what did the doctor say about your weight problem? I was so embarrassed, especially with that huge load of food I had on my plate. She didn't mean to embarrass me... she was speaking out of concern, but at her age didn't think before she spoke. It was very awkward, even though I tried to laugh it off. Ever since then though, I keep thinking about that evening and why I was the only one in the group that was fat... just look at my plate! madmike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:18

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I actually don't have one-- just sick of being overweight to the point where I finally went out and did something about it. I have a friend who has a great one, however. He was at the movie theater standing in the lobby. There was a father with a few young kids in the lobby too. One of the kids was asking his father where the bathroom is. The dad pointed near where my friend was standing and said "over there by the fat guy." My friend said the looked around and there wasn't anyone else near him. Suddenly it hit him that HE was the fat guy! He went on a "DIET" (low fat---ugghhh!) the very next day.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:21

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

For me it was the pictures we took Thanksgiving of last year! I knew I was big, but never realized how big until then. I was in shock!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

My friend asked me if i was pregnant. I saw pictures and I didnt recognize myself anymore. This girl who is alot bigger then me (even then) asked me if I wanted some of her clothes that were too big on her now (she said it to be mean)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:31

Stats: 330/280/200 Male 5'10
BF:I have no clue
Progress:

Mine was lying down on the floor to watch TV and not being able to see over my belly, plus this mouthy little 12 year old that kept asking when my baby was due.....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins and then CAD
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'4"
BF:33.5/33.1/24
Progress: 9%

I have a closet full of size 8/9 clothes that I haven't been able to wear for almost 2 years. I refuse to buy clothes that are size 12 or bigger, so I have been wearing some U G L Y, baggy, crappy looking clothes for some time.

I hate it. I want to wear my smaller clothes and buy some new ones! I want to feel good about how I look. I want to be healthy and active.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:48
Registered Member

Stats: 150/???/120 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default My kick-start

My best friend lost about 20lbs last year and looks great! I finally decided that instead of feeling insecure (and maybe a little jealous) standing next to her, that I should just get my butt moving and do it too.

Ashtaroth
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:07
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I had wanted to loose the weight for a long time. but I knew I couldn't do the typical "diet", I knew I would fail. I heard so many horror stories about people dieting, loosing, then gaining even more. Then my dad started doing Atkins, and having great results and I got curious and looked it up. I spent about 3 months thinking about doing it, but knew that it would be hard with all the "NO NO" foods in the house, my then hubby would still buy his twinkies and bring me chocolate.... So nothing happened till we split up. Here I was embarking on living alone, thinking of possibly re-entering the "dating" scene and I laughed, who would want to date me??? geesh. But I had the perfect chance to stock my kitchen with the RIGHT foods, since I was starting from scratch. I started Atkins when I rented my apartment, haven't looked back.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:12

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

My "eye opener" was when I was watching video of me of Christmas 2001. I was probably at my heaviest there ... and I was shocked to really see how big I was (comparing myself to my rather large sister-in-law) and decided that before I hit 40, I will lose weight.

I did lose weight...not at goal yet...perhaps on my 41st birthday in March 2004.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:25
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

My grandmother was walking behind me and said "My God your ass is wide!" But the clincher was when I went shopping with her and she held up a pair of pants saying "Janenne-these should fit-they're a 20 Wide." Have to love her.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:26

Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

For me it was when we were in the car going to dinner and I was telling my husband how I was not able to find a dress that fit me for an upcoming wedding (I meant that all were too long, since I am short) from the backseat came this little voice that said "is it because you're so fat?" It broke my heart, not what he said but the tone, a matter of fact tone full of acceptance, just stating the truth. I vowed that my son would not have a fat mommy anymore, he would have a healthy mommy who would do things with him and who would hopefully be around a long time for him!

judi
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

After having my children and realizing that after each birth I lost the baby weight and then started to gain ... "cleaning up" after the kids eat by finishing their food, bingeing on cake (my ultimate weakness) and cookies and just not really monitoring myself yet always feeling hungry, I knew I needed to work at something. I have never had trouble with weight until my 30's.

What started by husband and I off was my own thoughts boosted by his sudden interest in giving up "white" foods, such as rice, potatoes, etc. I knew if I didn't take the bull by the horns at that moment I would lose his interest and I wouldn't be able to do the WOE by myself with a house full of tiny people who burn carbs like nobody's business, plus a carb-loading husband.

So, without even telling my husband, I put us into Atkins' Induction. He lost 10 pounds the first week. He was hooked.

Now, we have a plan and goals and can discuss portions, whereas, before this WOE, he felt as if I was depriving him if I suggested smaller portions.

This plan has been a saving grace in more ways that weight.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I was going on and off of Atkins for the last year or two. I got really serious in July after I heard of someone referring to me as overweight. I know it doesn't seem like much but all my life no one had ever commented on my extra weight although it was my biggest fear. Hearing it from other people just really gets to you. Since then I've been trying my butt off to get the weight off.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:45

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Default Good Q!

I decided to do Atkins when my Man told me in January he's doing it. I thought, great, I wanted to start a plan, lose some weight, so let's do it together. Seeing pictures of myself taken in Nov 02 made me realize I had to lose a few.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:49

Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 60%

I went to a pool party at my Mom's house about 2 weeks ago... The pictures came back yesterday... YIKES!