Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 00:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%
Default Weight training rest vs. other exrcise rest, a few questions...

Why is it that everyone is adamant about not working out the same muscle groups with weight training on consecutive days, but regarding other exercise (running, biking, etc.), I have never heard this rule espoused. If the idea is to give muscles that are worked hard time to recover and rebuild, why wouldn't it apply to exercise other than weight training. Yesterday I played 2-man beach volleyball for about 2 hours, and my legs were pushed really hard; should I give them a day of rest from this specific activity, or any exercise in general?

I rollerblade 3 or 4 days a week; should I not do it on consecutive days? Should you alternate types of exercise to work different muscles? In general, is it bad to exercise every day?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 07:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Michael, the main difference is that while you may perform repetitive motions when you rollerblade or run you are not causing muscle trauma. Resistance workouts done to failure, or near failure, result in micro tears to your muscle tissue. It is the tearing that causes new muscle growth to happen. The growth happens while you rest, so if you do not rest you do not grow and the resistance exercise is pointless.

Keep in mind the goal of cardiovascular exercise is to improve cardio function and to create a calorie deficit to aid in fat loss. The goal of resistance work is to build and maintain lean mass that will burn fat for you at a later time.

It's not bad to exercise every day, per se, but it is bad to exercise when you're sore. This is your body's way of saying "hey, I need a break" It's also not a fantastic idea to exercise every single day of the week for weeks on end - the body needs rest in order to perform.

-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 11:04

Thanks (again) Natrushka. Makes perfect sense.... I have not done resistance training for about 7 or 8 years; I am considering re-joining my gym, and starting up again. I have never loved weight training/resistance training; do you think there are major benefits I will get that I do not get from walking/ stationary bike/ blading/ volleyball/ stairmaster ? I do have this fear (irrational?) that with LCing, I will not perform well with weight training.

-Michael

p.s. I love your name!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish
do you think there are major benefits I will get that I do not get from walking/ stationary bike/ blading/ volleyball/ stairmaster ? I do have this fear (irrational?) that with LCing, I will not perform well with weight training.
Hi (again) toots

It's likely that you'll not be as strong when you lift while eating LC, that is perfectly natural - it's a function of muscle glycogen, or rather, lack of it. (Glycogen is stored carbohydrate, when you LC you natrually have little of this). The important thing is that you can still get the benefits - you can still lift heavy weights to failure causing tearing and consequently rebuilding.

Would you get benefits you're not getting currently? Certainly. Raised metabolism - the ability to eat more calories while sustaining your current weight. Stronger bones. Better posture. Fewer aches and pains (for me this was particularly true of back pains) Most importantly you'll help preserve your lean mass, if not grow some more, ensuring that what you do lose is F.A.T.

If you're not overly fond of it though, it might be a problem. There's nothing worse than that feeling of 'having to do something' instead of "enjoying something".

Quote:
I love your name!
Thanks Natrushka is the Russian familiar of my middle name, Natasha.

-N
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 17:10

Thanks for the name explanation. Whenever I see your name I say it out loud with a big Russian accent. I am probably going to start resistance training again in the next couple of months; but your point about enjoying what you do is so important. I do not really hate resistance training, I just remember not loving it (I do, however have an extreme dislike of free weight training). I do not want to re-join my (very expensive) Sports Club LA, and then not use it.

Take care,

"Mikhail"
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 19:13

BF:

Quote:
I do not really hate resistance training, I just remember not loving it (I do, however have an extreme dislike of free weight training).
Michail You don't have to jump in right now, why not do a little reconnaisance in the neighbourhood? Check out various gyms and workout facilities - find something that you'd think would be fun. There are all kinds of machines out there now, and often it's not the actual free weights that are 'unfun' it's the lifting plan. There are so many options you're bound to find something that appleas to you.

Cheers,
-N
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 22:09

OK, Natrushka, so in addition to knowing everything about everything, you are psychic as well? I suspended my membership at my club (SCLA) about two years ago. Yesterday, I went back to the club to re-visit, and I also toured two other new clubs near me today for the exact reasons you suggested. One thing I like about joining this new club near me (Equinox), is that they will do a pretty thorough initial fitness evaluation, including body fat %, and I will have a one on one intro to all the machines etc. We'll see; no real rush; I will do it when it feels right.

Thanks.

Michael
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 07:15

BF:

Quote:
OK, Natrushka, so you are psychic as well?
Let's hope so. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today

Sounds like you've got a plan of action - a sure step toward success!

-Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 10:15

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Hi everyone,

Nat, in reading your posts, you said you should not work out when you are sore. Well as of last week, I decided to start taking different classes at my gym b/c I was getting bored on the treadmill and elliptical trainer. IN fact, I started taking a different class everyday. From step, to aerobic, to musclework (combines cardio and lifting). Well the step class I took last night, has left me sore from head to toe. I am supposed to meet w/ my trainer today but my legs feel very sore and today is the day we usually do "bootcamp". Mind you as of right now I am 235, and still carrying a signficant amount of weight.

My question is should I ask her to just stay to lifting and not do bootcamp since I am so sore? Also, should I take it easy on the classes, and switch up between the classes and the cardio machines?

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:05

BF:

Latoit, hi there. The recommendation to not workout when sore is primarily directed at soreness from lifting weights. That being said, if you've engaged in intense physical activity and you're sore / tender / achey, then it's a good idea to listen to your body and rest for a little longer. If you get into a viscious cycle of working out when you're tired or not 100% it can lead to overtraining.

If you are very sore I would not do "bootcamp" I would also not lift, period.

I tend to find the pain associated with new activities last a week at most; after that you adapt and it just doesn't hurt as much anymore. Remember what that first long bike ride of the season feels like? I have a sore butt for days. But it doesn't last all Summer.

Taking the new classes is a good way to keep from getting bored, just watch you don't overdo it. Being sore from head to toe 5 days of the week isn't productive, IMHO. How about settling for 2 days and spend one or two days on the treadmill / elliptical?

HTH
-N
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:10

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Thanks so much Nat. You are great! I think I will try to vary my cardio, w/ 2 to 3 days of cardio classes, and 1-2 days on cardio machines. I defintely don't won' to overdue it or cause stress on my body more than I need to!

Hopefully, the soreness will reside as my body gets used to it. I think a lot of the soreness is from me not really working my leg muscles to exhaustion,and I think that is what the cardio classes are doing..pushing my legs.

It feels good though