Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/175/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Tennessee Dieter

Hello!
Just checking to see if there is anyone out there from the Tennessee area. I really got serious about this diet today, 7/23. I was doing good last week but hadn't cut out caffiene. I used my keto testing strips last night and found I wasn't in ketosis at all. I don't know if any of you use these strips.. but the last time I was on the diet I used them almost everyday. The really helped me. Good luck to all as we do this diet together. I would love to hear from some success stories.

Thanks
Diane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 10:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the forum!

Every day that has been a good low carb day for anyone is a success story in my book! You can read members journals in the My Journal/Bootcamp Forum and even keep your own journal there.

As for my own story, my health has improved immensely and 61 pounds are gone forever with a few more to go. Low carbing is my way of life now and I love it!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 14:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145
BF:

Hi Diane,

I've been on a low carb lifestyle since 5/26/01 and have found that I go in and out of ketosis (according to the ketostix). I really don't pay attention to the sticks because they are not the end all and be all of your success. I find that because I workout alot I use up my ketones so there aren't any to show on a stick most times. If you're on Atkins Induction, then maybe you should cut out the caffeine to follow it to the letter. If you're not on Induction, try to limit your caffeine consumption and keep track of it.

Stay focused and stick with it. We're here to cheer you on.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 07:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for your reply

Thanks for the information about ketones. I didn't realize by exercising that we use up ketones. I haven't started exercising yet..the last time I did this diet I exercised and I knew I was sticking to the diet but when I would check my ketone level at times it would be just a trace or not at all. I started yesterday 07/23/01 on the induction diet and am not having any caffiene this time. I went home yesterday and my father-n-law had bought a double layer chocolate oreo cookie cake ..it looked so good, but I'm glad to say and didn't eat any. Thanks for all the encourgement. This is a great web sight.

Thanks,
Diane
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 08:01
Registered Member

Stats: 235/221/140
BF:
Progress:

Good job passing on the chocolate cake. I started on 7/14 and my ketostix do not show much but I am losing weight. I do find that in the evening the ketostix show a higher level though.

Brandi
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 19:47

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool

I use the sticks on a daily basis... I like them because in most cases they are confirming what I know. Prime example I was reading the stix and I was in the dark purple section for large or whatever and I knew that in the last 3 months that its never been that way so there was something wrong.

I read FAQ's here on the site about ketostix and found out that it most probably was the dark color due to dehydration. Which was no surprise to me since I hadn't been drinking my water. If I get into a cycle they work, fluctuate and you will see changes.

Good going on passing up the cake

goingfor60
Shannon
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 14:01
Registered Member

Stats: 202.1/193.1/145
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hiya neighbor! I am in Kentucky. I started atkins LC on Nov. 28, 2001. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I haven't tried the strips yet. I have heard mixed emotions about them. I am doing okay with this........I am however finding it hard to eat all the calories we are supposed to. I have a feeling this is why I haven't lost any more weight this past week. I am hoping for a change soon. I wish you the best and all the luck in the world! We are worth it! Take care!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 18:53

Plan: Basic low carb, modified body rx
Stats: 198.5/165/155
BF:?/25%/20%
Progress: 77%

Hi! born in Millington, TN I now live in a south AL town called Atmore. I don't use the sticks I watch my weight and measurements,(especially my measurements) alot of times if I haven't lost in a week or so i caan measure and get a nice smaller surprise. Hang in there and yes we are worth it.Every time I feel my pants a little baggier I am even more sure about this.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 15:11

Stats: 255/250/130
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hello, Diane and All Fellow Tennesseans!

My user name is CTReid (Cheryl). I just joined the list today,
1-1-02. I've been doing Atkins since 11-26-01. I've cheated some during the holidays and now I'm getting back on the track with the beginning of the new year. I live in Chattanooga. In case you don't know, Chattanooga is in the southeast corner of the state near the Georgia line. I'm glad to see there are other low carbers from the Volunteer State . Maybe, we can have a get together at some point to share tips, ideas, successes, failures and give each other face to face support. Good luck to you in 2002 toward reaching your weight loss goals.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 15:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/200/170
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Tennesseean!!

Hi all,

I'm a Clarksvillian, about 45 min. from Nashville. I didnt realize there were so many of us. Maybe we should make a list of everyone. Getting together one day for support would be great. question: Is there a LC magazine?
Daryl (pounds2go)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 23:04
Registered Member

Plan: Meat and Egg/Atkins
Stats: 178.5/178.5/110 Female 5'5
BF:

Hi! I am another Tennessean! I am from Martin. I just started LCing also! Just wanted to say Good Luck!

Stephanie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:47
Pending Member

Stats: 136/130/115
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Another from Tennessee

Hi Tennessee LCers. I am in Sewanee, up on top of the Cumberland Plateau between Nashville and Chattanooga.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default Wow Sewanee

Maui, you live very close to me. I live in Decherd, TN (Franklin County) I'm sure you know where that is. Are you just starting the low carb diet? I wish you the best of luck!!

Diane
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:29
Pending Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Neighbor

Hi there. Yes, I do indeed know Decherd. I tried to send you an e-mail message, but couldn't. You c an reach me at elumpkins~earthlink.net or elumpkin~sewanee.edu. We should at least meet each other.

I am female and 56 and work at the University of the South. I am married, but we have no children.

Mauitn
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:38
Pending Member

BF:
Progress:
Default To anszwer your question

I began the Atkins diet in November 01 and lost about 6 pounds during induction. Then we traveled during the Christmas and New Year holiday and I "mostly" stayed on track. I didn't lose, but I didn't gain during this period. Since the middle of January when I returned from holiday, I have gone up and down for about 3 or 4 pounds. I can't seem to lose and I don't really gain. I will admit that I only needed to lose 15 pounds to begin with and now need only to lose the last 9 to 10 pounds which i can't seem to do. I have not been walking for exrcise during the extreme cold we have had. When the weather warms, I will add that back in. But not losing is getting depressing.

Mauitn