Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:57

Plan: My own
Stats: 258/205/200 Male 72 inches
BF:10%
Progress: 91%
Default wifes baby fat...please help

My wife has lost approx. 50lbs. She looks great, but she's still has a very flabby stomach. I know u can't spot excercise, but is there anything she could do about it short of surgery? She went from 178lbs to 125lbs, but just can't get rid of her baby fat. I told her that she needs to keep up her cardio & weightlifting and it will eventually shrink away. She's happy with her weight loss, but hate her stomach. Have any ladies here had the same problem? PLEASE HELP!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 08:56
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I must say I would much rather her be asking the question.

The whole DH telling her she has to workout makes me a bit uncomfortable.

But she can't target lose... she must just exercise with whatever she enjoys consistantly and the body will continue to modify in its own way.

My DH told me to jog and everytime he said it, I took it as "you look fat and not good enough".

Just a thought.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Mon, Aug-25-03 at 11:27.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 09:17
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

I agree with Lisa. My husband told me I needed to lose weight and now he is my ex-husband. I'm sure she is aware of the abdominal exercises that she could do to try to firm up her stomach.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:59

OK. Xplora & IkonzelmanI think u guys are way, way out of bounds. I was asking for help, because she, not me, is depressed about her stomach. Did u or did u not read where I..., ME..., THE DH..., whatever u want to call me, said "she looks great"? or when I said "She is happy with her weight loss, but hate her stomach". I'm happy with the way she look & I was happy with her when we both were overweight. I think u 2 probably have had some personal problems with your DH & think all men are like that. My wife & I lost our weight TOGETHER. Somewhere on this earth their are men that are supportive of their wives & will do aything to help them out. I was being sincere when I was asking any lady, who might have went thru the same problem that my wife have to help ME help her. I really like this forum because people here are so helpful & understanding with the struggle of weight loss. If u couldn't answer the question..I understand....but keep your personal problems to yourselves.

So again I ask: Are there any LADIES, (empasis on LADIES).....who don't have any male drama in their lives.....that have had children & had a problem losing the flab around their mid section....tell me & my wife how you got rid of it? Or if anybody have an answer or suggestion I would appreciate it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:06
The evolution of me

BF:

Ok... I hear you and I know I have issues... i'm sure lots of us here do.

There is NO WAY TO SPOT REDUCE an area of the body. You can do crunchs and cardio and build muscle behind fat but you can't spot reduce.

The body loses at is chooses to. All exercise is good - the key is consistancy.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:17

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

pherjo: This is an issue everyone who has a significant amount of weight to lose will face at some point and I don't have an answer. The exercise forum might be the place to go to get information. That is what I plan to do when the time comes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I believe that you just want to help her!

Try Pilates....I have Winsor Pilates, they make an ab tape...very hard to do. I just bought them off Ebay for like $10.

How much did she gain while prego, when and what did she have? I had a little girl in 2000 and a boy last year. I gained 70 the first time and 35 the second. Now I am just trying to get off the 5 pounds and a few extra, tat I gained on vacation in June.

P.S. Did you really have a DNA test to prove your kids were yours?

Last edited by Serena : Mon, Aug-25-03 at 16:12.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 18:20

Thanx for your helpful input "FromVA". I spend most of my time here on the excercise forum. I can talk & read about working out for hours, but I'm a man, & I don't have the same problem with my mid section as she does. I'm hoping somebody here went thru the same thing & could help us out. Thank u again & keep up the good work. I know u will reach your goal.

"Serena" Thats funny you would bring up Pilates. We went looking for the "Windsor Pilates" tape today. We didn't find it, but we will keep looking. I got the idea for Pilates from being on the exercise forum. I haven't read to many bad things about it. When I see it, I'll buy it for her. to answer your questions: She's had 3 kids. 1 boy 12yr old & 2girls 10 & 4yrs old. The weight gain she had with all three....I don't know. She did retain more weight with each child though. I was joking about taking a DNA test. I usually make that joke because my kids are "wild childs". I can't believe I helped create such crazy kids. "ritalin..ritalin...wherefore art thou ritalin?" But I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. Besides my Mother quickly reminds me of all the crazy things I did too. So guess I deserve it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 18:30

Thanx for your helpful reply "Ikonzelman". I have been telling my wife the same thing for the past few weeks. We'll try this "Pilates" videos & hopefully it will help. Oh by the way to tell you a little something about my wife....She served 8 years in the Army (Desert Storm) & 7 years as a Texas State Trooper, So she is the epitome of an independent woman & she wouldn't dare listen to me badger her about her weight. Especially when I was a bg boy at the same time. Now she works out religiously but can't seem to get rid of her baby flab. Thats why I was asking for helpful input.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 22:38

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

I had my first baby just before I turned 27. I started out at 110lbs and by the time I had my fourth baby at age 34 I was 130 lbs. Not too bad but my body fat was quite high.

I started low carbing and then a number of months later started lifting weights which I had never done before. I have been as low as 115 lbs with 22% BF but then went back up to 121 lbs with 19% BF.

The unfortunate thing is that for quite a few of us women, having babies seems to deposit a layer of fat over our abdomens and it is a devil to get rid of. I still have not lost that layer. I am very small and muscular in my upper body and also quite muscular in my legs. My abs are quite well-developed and strong (I took up belly dancing and that has helped considerably with strength and muscle tone. Also someone commented on my "six pack" athletic stomach at a BD recital ) however, I cannot seem to get rid of that layer of fat. Along with the stretch marks, it REALLY bothers me but most people tell me I look quite small.

I hope that that flabby layer will eventually disappear for your wife but as I have indicated, for some of us, it just does not want to go away. Well, not unless we want to starve ourselves but that doesn't make much sense to me.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 23:06

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default P.s.

Thought I should also point out that as many women get older they tend to thicken up through the torso and develop a less defined waist. This has happened to me, much to my chagrin. And if you take a good look at Madonna's photos (to use someone highly visible and highly fit) through the years you will see that the same thing has happened to her.

This, along with the baby fat deposit, has nothing to do with lack of control in diet or exercise and everything to do with the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone and their fluctuations in the decade to twenty years before menopause.

So some things ARE a little bit beyond our control. Which is extremely frustrating as doing the right work is supposed to guarantee a specific result.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 07:03
The evolution of me

BF:

Quote:
So she is the epitome of an independent woman & she wouldn't dare listen to me badger her about her weight.

ROFL!!! Ok Ok... I said I knew I had issues....

Anyway I have lost over 100 lbs and over the years because of some kind of constant exercise my tummy is pretty flat. So I know over time it really does work.

Let her know it is just time+energy and it will come.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 07:22

Homegirl. Thank you for your reply, I've learned a lot from you. I've seen a few ladies at my gym with the same problem as my wife. They work very hard on defining their abs...and who doesn't...only to have a little baby fat deposit remain. We asked a Personal Trainer at the gym about losing the baby fat & she told her to do more cardio. My wife already run 4 miles a day & Tae-Bo a few times a week, so I do't think cardio was her problem. She also Lift weights 3 times a week too. It's just very frustrating to her that she can't lose the baby fat. She aso has the stretch marks. I'm going to let her read your letters today. I really appreciate your reply...Thank you again.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 11:21

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

pherjo: My daughter, who has a four-year old son and is 34, belongs to a gym and has lost about 24 lbs on Atkins. She is shorter than I by several inches and is "short-waisted", whereas I have (lucky me unless I am trying to find jeans that fit) a long torso. She has the baby-fat plus the lbs gained that have nothing whatsoever to do with "baby", and still has 30 lbs to go before she reaches her goal. (BTW: she said it was fine with her if I discussed her when I told her about your original post.) Anyway, the fitness instructor at the gym she uses pretty much told her you can do crunches to tone the lower abdomen but that there is nothing specific that will a: tighten up loose skin from having a big stomach over a fairly long period of time (this is a different issue from stretch marks from pregnancy), and b: get rid of fat in a specific spot...you get rid of it all over. Now, that is one person's opinion and I don't know what his qualifications are. Why don't you ask TrainerDan this specific question. If anyone would probably know, he would. I have seen before&after pictures of some really heavy guys that followed his training advice after losing a significant amount of weight and I didn't see bellies or hanging skin on them. Of course, they may have had surgery, too, but I am sure TrainerDan would be honest and tell you if that is what it will take. Then, of course, let us ALL know what he says!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:19

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I just wanted to let you know that those pilates tape I got from Ebay were shipped out in less than 24 hours. I think it was $15 for abs and bun and thigh tapes. I was very sore from my regular tape. I can't wait to try this. I am always impressed when I am sore because I work out 5-6 days a week, spinning, running and weights. When I am sore, Iknow it was a good workout!

I'll send you a link if you want me to....