Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 10:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%

Yes RC thats what I did, I think it would be recieved better in the current situation with the press etc. Plus I didn't mention the stevia thing as I think the LC products are more important to everyone I myself am happy with Splenda and only have two a day in a decaff anyway.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGypsy
And is still made with chlorine, no matter how patronising the earlier comment about natural products was. Sigh...

Count me out in the campaign for more of the stuff.

Totally agree with you Gypsy. There still a major ? over the safety of the long term use of these sweeteners, and from what they contain and how they are made i would not touch these products. I wouldn't give them to my children so why should i use them.

I have never tried any type of AS (apart from in diet coke, that i now do not drink unless i have to have a Vodka) but from what i have heard they all have some sort of nasty aftertaste.

Stevia has been used for many years in other Countries and i have found no research from other Countries to suggest that Stevia has long term side affects. If i'm wrong please give me the links to this research.

There has been a couple of anti Stevia threads now, and i have no idea why??? Surely what is important is OUR right to eat and drink what we choose.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:20

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

quite agree ebbie,i can,t see why we can,t have it either but as i understand it,its an eu issue.on the other hand,i wonder what the sweetener industries have got to do with it.they seem to carry a lot of weight in uk.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:33

BF:

That is exactly the feeling i have got from all the information i have read on both Stevia and AS Christine.
That makes me even more angry as i will not have decided for me what i can and can't eat when it's only down to sugar companies profits.

People who use AS have the choice to 'take the risk' of using the products, so why can't i 'take the risk' with Stevia?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:48

BF:
Progress:

beats me when now cannabis is no longer illegal.just think, you could get arrested for having stevia and not cannabis.crazy!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:18

BF:

OOOOOOOOO Christine wacky baccy is still illegal so be careful...lol
They have just down classed it and are ignoring personal use (usually)
Not that i am saying i'm a pot head but about time too, it's the hard drugs our boys in blue should be spending their time on.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:32

BF:
Progress:

yep,my point is,there are things being sold here that are known to be dangerous and they,re still for sale ie,ciggies,booze (which i like as you know)so i can,t see why not stevia.its an infringement on our rights.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:35

BF:
Progress:

one other thing,i don,t think we,ll get anywhere with the stevia thing,but we might have a chance with the l-c products if we all keep plugging away.you never know do you.i haven,t had any replies back yet but i,m hopeful.lets keep up the good work!

Last edited by pepsi max : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 15:49.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:05

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbie.B
That makes me even more angry as i will not have decided for me what i can and can't eat when it's only down to sugar companies profits.

Its the same with a lot of natural versus chemical products unfortunately.

Not so long ago they were trying to ban St John's Wort; a herb which has helped countless depressives, often where conventional medicine has failed.

Their reason? It might affect the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill. Of course, so can drinking six pints of lager and then throwing up... which is far more likely to land you in a position (provided they didn't see you throw up ) where you need the pill to be effective!!!

So at least its not personal to us sugar fiends! They'll get there eventually... they just have to take a couple of generations to scientifically prove what the rest of us knew all along!

Of course, our cannibis laws are particularly ironic when you consider how much of our country is named after the stuff...
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:02
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Ebbie: That Tesco clerk needed what we call a "bitch slap."

Emily
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 00:35

Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%

Got the standard reply from Tesco, will pass it on to their buying team but make no promises etc.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 00:45

BF:
Progress:

got one from asda,said pretty much the same.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:07

Stats: 198/182/147 Female 5ft 5in
BF:

well I went into Holland and Barrett in local town and bought soem soya flour. Lady behind counter said ih I see your on Atkins and gace such a disaproving look, I was really shocked as this was my first visit as just finished induction and from posts I have read on here I assumed they would be OK, but no, that was def no the impression I got!!

Oh well, keep trying and next time I'm off to another branch of H and B, they can have my business
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:14

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19

Wow... that's a disgusting attitude to take!

I'm afraid I like H&B for one reason and one reason only... they do a good job of harrassing the government out of ludicrous random food bans. Can't say I'd actually shop there if I could avoid it.

But folk have had wheat allergies for a long, long time... assuming someone buys soya flour purely because of one diet is ridiculous!

Its like me going to buy teatree because I have a sore throat and the shop assistant saying "I see you're treating acne then"!

Their loss though as you say, Jaqui... what fools.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 05:04

Stats: 198/182/147 Female 5ft 5in
BF:

I have had a reply from Sainsburys today and has been my most positive response so far......

I am sorry to say that we don't sell products which are specifically low in carbohydrates in any of our stores at present. Our buyers haven't anticipated a demand for the product and to date I am not aware that we have had any other requests to stock any.

I will, however, let our buyers know of your interest and if more customers request that we stock the products, it is possible that it may eventually appear on our shelves.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but thank you very much for writing. We are always looking for new products that will appeal to our customers, so I am grateful to you for letting us know.

How about us all bombarding Sainsburys you never know they may go with demand!!!!!!!!!