Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Alright, I really get the glutamine thing but can't figure out how much of my Nature's Plus 500 mg L-Glutamine to take daily. What's the difference, do you know, with the prefix L- ?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist
Alright, I really get the glutamine thing but can't figure out how much of my Nature's Plus 500 mg L-Glutamine to take daily.
How about "a lot"? 500mg x2 = 1g It might be best to get some of the powered stuff specifically for lifting and keep the pills for cravings / travel - or even try to return them if possible.

L means 'levo' - to the left. All amino acids with "L" in front of them are naturally occuring. The body can only use these ones, btw. If you find a supplement that contains "D" insert amino acid here this signifies it's synthetic and it's useless to you. (carnitine is one sometimes sold like this). L-glutamine and glutamine are the same thing - sometines you feel like an "L" sometimes you don't

-Nat
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Quote:
Alright, I really get the glutamine thing but can't figure out how much of my Nature's Plus 500 mg L-Glutamine to take daily. What's the difference, do you know, with the prefix L- ?

hehehe, sorry, that made me chuckle because I bought that stuff the first time too. Now I use a powder type that gives you 5 grams/teaspoon. Lots of places carry it.

This was only a few weeks ago that I came home with the 500mg capsules and then I read somewhere that people often take 5 grams or more at a time and when I did the math and figured out that I'd have to be taking ten capsules at a time I thought that that would count as a meal in itself.

Arnie
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:06
Registered Member

BF:

Woman, you know EVERYTHING! What am I going to do if you go on vacation or somethin'?? Thank you, Nat!

Quote:
when I did the math and figured out that I'd have to be taking ten capsules at a time I thought that that would count as a meal in itself.

Arnie, as I was asking I was holding a rather round, thick 500 mg pill and thinkin', "No way am I swallowing ten of these babies!"
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
I came home with the 500mg capsules and then I read somewhere that people often take 5 grams or more at a time and when I did the math and figured out that I'd have to be taking ten capsules at a time I thought that that would count as a meal in itself.
Mea culpa. I still have the damned bottle somewhere - I take it when I'm travelling and fill it up with the powdered stuff

-Nat

P.S. Optimist, give yourself a few months hanging around the forums and you'll be amazed at what you absorb. BTW, I am going on holidays in 5 months
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:35

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Red, I started measuring my bodyfat when I first started Atkins 10 months ago. Actually I just looked at the calendar and realized that it's almost 11 months now! I should have a low carb party when I hit my one year anniversary

I've heard that too about hydrating, but I have tried the scale first thing in the am, then had a full glass of water and tried again and the numbers are the same. Maybe the water needs time to soak into your system? I dunno.

I have noticed that my scale reads 2-3% lower when I've just finished running. I wondered if that was because my feet are sweaty, don't the metal plates send some kind of electrical current through your body? I think damp skin touching the plates would mess up the whole measurement.

Optimist, I got the glutamine pills too because I was in Walmart and desperate for relief from my soreness and that was all I could find. I ordered a can of powder from netrition.com as soon as I found out how much we're supposed to take. At the rate I'm going, I don't think the bottle is going to last until the powder arrives!

I think this glutamine is the same stuff that people take to reduce cravings, but I think for that purpose much less is needed.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:56
Registered Member

BF:

Sarah, too funny, I picked mine up at Walmart too. Well, I'm off to netrition right after this. While I'm there is there anything else I should order to put in my shake? And, how's your eating coming along, btw?

Nat,I only have a five month window?? Talk about pressure....
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:00
Registered Member

BF:

#39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 06:42
Contributing Member

Quote:

That's the stuff I'm using.

Arnie
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:23
Registered Member

BF:

Oops, Arnie. I kept going back and forth between that one and Kaizen L-Glutamine Powder and went with the Kaizen (hey, it was said 'pharmaceutical grade'!). Darn, looks like I missed out on a t-shirt (I swear that offer wasn't there in the wee hours).

In the meantime I found out the soy protein powder I've had unopened in my cupboard for two weeks provides 4925 mg of glutamic acid...which to me is either close to what I'm aiming for with the Kaizen or enough to at least give me mental comfort while I'm waiting.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
In the meantime I found out the soy protein powder I've had unopened in my cupboard for two weeks provides 4925 mg of glutamic acid...which to me is either close to what I'm aiming for with the Kaizen or enough to at least give me mental comfort while I'm waiting.
Yep, you'll find that when it comes to amino acids nothing compares to Soy protein - it's really the best bang for your buck.

-Nat
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:47
Contributing Member

Quote:
Oops, Arnie. I kept going back and forth between that one and Kaizen L-Glutamine Powder and went with the Kaizen (hey, it was said 'pharmaceutical grade'!).

Sounds good to me. I just bought the Prolab stuff because it was on sale. For all I know Kaizon could be a better quality.

Arnie
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:03
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
I should have a low carb party when I hit my one year anniversary
Sarah, I think you should, you have done amazing. Okay, so the Tanita works for you. How much did it cost? I have a scale right now but I would love one with the body fat.
Quote:
Yep, you'll find that when it comes to amino acids nothing compares to Soy protein - it's really the best bang for your buck.
Nat, so soy is better than whey? Or is it good to mix it up between soy and protein shakes.

I had a soy shake called Naturade 100% soy Protein Booster (100% Protein from Soybeans)
30g serving
Energy 111 calories
Protein 25g
Fat 1g
Carbohydrates 0g

Ingredients: soy protein isolate, soy lecithin, phytonutrient blend (carrot, broccoli, cabbage, spinach), bromelain, papain, flavors.

Also said:
No aspartame, no acesulfame, no artificial sweeteners,no artificial flavours, colors or preservatives, no msg, no sucrose, no sugar added, no lactose, yeast free, no egg, dairy or animal derivatives.

And:
Isofavone Content: Total Isoflavones 25-75mg (genistein 30mg, Daidzein 17.5mg, Glycitein 2.5mg)

What do you guys think of this soy protein?

Peace
red
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
Sounds good to me. I just bought the Prolab stuff because it was on sale. For all I know Kaizon could be a better quality.

Arnie

Now ya know, I have no sense of $$$$$, Arnie. Duh, why didn't I check the prices first?

Nat, As a vegetarian I used very little soy but now have some everyday without planning to, just works out that way. Go soy!

Last edited by Optimist : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 13:12.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
so soy is better than whey? Or is it good to mix it up between soy and protein shakes.
It's good to mix them up. Soy isn't better, but Whey also isn't better - contrary to what the whey manufacturers would have you believe.

Soy vs. Whey

Are you still a vegetarian?

-N