Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 05:44

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%

Thanks for sharing this wisdom LC.

I am actually struggling with my last couple of kilos at present. I get lower in weight then I increase my carbs or binge and my weight goes up again so I never quite get there. Alternatively I still eat low carb but then I stop my cardio workouts (which seem to be the factor for me losing weight much more than the weight work I does). I am really getting quite sick of sabotaging myself especially as I am so close to goal.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 17:40

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

What you describe is actually quite normal, I think. It's jarring to "reach goal", because then what?? There is some ancient post on this board that I started years ago that had to do with post goal depression. I went thru a real FUNK when I approached/reached goal.

Do you do any resistance training in addition to cardio? I found that to be helpful in terms of adjusting my metabolism to burn more calories at rest.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:56

I have started back doing weights three times a week. I use a barbell with light weights. I do a number of arm exercises as well as squats. I also mix these up with crunches and side crunches. I was sick (first time with a cold in two years) so I took a week off.

I was also doing cardio (20 - 30 mins fast walking on my treadmill) the other three days a week until my exams for first semester finished the end of June. I need to start that up again as I am sure cardio helps increase my energy levels and gives me a beta endorphin boost. I have been feeling quite flat lately and I am sure my sedentary lifestyle does not help with that state of mind. I need to balance all the mind exercise I get with study with body exercise!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 04:45

Well, and doesn't that ring another true bell. Our "mental" state can be something else to deal with! I was once told that my mind is often a terrorist - casting blame for how my body feels, what workouts I didn't do, what I shouldn't have eaten. Once we can get the mind to be an aly instead of an enemy we will "hear" what the body is saying, not what the mind "thinks" it should be saying.

I took the whole summer off any type of formal exercise this year - I'm now eager to get back into it, what with fall coming. There was a time when I would have beaten myself up every day of that summer. But, my body was actually saying - I need a break - it's ok to loaf me around for a bit - hot weather is NOT condusive to hard exercise at your age - and the guilt and self terrorism took a break too. I guess it's really the total wellness of the person that is the true goal.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 06:29

Hmm! you are feeling like exercise now that it is autumn and I am feeling like moving my body again now that spring has sprung here!

I know there is a part of me that feels like hibernating in winter. I want to sleep in in the mornings and not get up and exercise. Now the sun is up, when I wake up now, I have more desire to get moving.

I enjoyed doing my weights this morning. I don't feel I will be sore tomorrow as I have only missed a week of this exercise. I think I might try a moderate walk for 20 mins on my treadmill tomorrow.

Last edited by trisharau : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 06:31.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, I'm so glad to have found this thread I reached my goal (1 under) about 3 weeks ago I'm still spending a fair bit of time on the forums, but I too can see somedays I'am at the end of the rope when it comes to the, whiners, cheaters, blame the plan, not what goes in the mouth posters. So I really need to make more connections with others who are maintaining.

I agree that everyone finds their own plan near the end of losing what they want, I know I certainly have'nt counted carbs for many months now, I seem to know my limit on fruits, grain breads (no flour), and things like fresh corn and fresh dug potatoes ( I live near several small farms).

Bottom line for me now is control over servings of the bread, potatoe, brown rice, corn, making a choice of what I'm going to have, if I have bread then thats it, no other higher carb food that day.

I do feel for those who can not control what they have once they get started.But I have never been able to understand Binge's or self sabotage, one in the same I guess? I do thank my lucky stars for not being like that, but I could use some more patiences for those who are, LOL

Anyhow enough for today, I hope this keeps active, I look forward to sharing our thoughts with other maintainers
Cheers Kathy
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:06

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

This is really helpful to read. I'm within 5 (or 9) pounds of my goal. I'm going to get to 130, look at myself and then decide if I need to be at 126.
Its interesting to hear people talk about needing to control portion size. I think that's what's tripping me up at the moment.
I know how to do this now, after 15 months - I just need to focus and stop 'not exactly cheating, but not exactly sticking with it' to shift the last few pounds.
Thanks for the thread - there are still those of us who are close but still need some support.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Ditto with all the previous posts! I also read somewhere that sometimes what happens when you reach goal, there can be somewhat kind of psychological letdown, similar to, "Ok, I've reached goal, now what?" One has focused and channeled all sorts of energies into losing weight, that once one reaches goal, the chase is over. I also wish there was more support for maintainers, but, alas, there doesn't seem to be. As other posters have said, maintenance is so much more individualized. You know what works for your body. I do not count carbs, but since I've been at this from July 2002, I "know" what I am consuming. My one unbreakable rule (along with drinking lots of water, etc.) is to have at least one salad a day. Good luck maintaining!!!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 07:08

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

During the summer I usually walk 1 1/2 miles, sometimes 3 miles, and then 3-4 days step class. Now that it is cooling off, my walking days are diminishing. I am up a couple pounds from my lowest from this summer. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 07:36

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I really struggle with exercise in the winter, cos I run outdoors, with my dogs, in the morning.
During the summer, I've loved every minute of it, the sun and the new day and just the beautiful surroundings.
Now its dark again, it gets creepy in the woods (only my imagination, no other silly fool is out there at 6am!) and I have to push myself to get out of bed when its cold and dark too.
I have resolved though, that I will continue - nothing makes me feel better, nor helps me keep my weight right.
I actually enjoy winter walks, even in the cold and rain, once it's light, so at weekends that's OK (well, sometimes what I enjoy is coming back into the warm and dry again). It's the dark that I struggle with.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:46

Odd as this might sound, I gauge my food intake against my activity level.

It’s something I do with my horse and it makes good sense. If I’m not working him, or giving him a period of rest/inactivity, I cut back on his feed. Once he is working again, I increase it.

Same with us. So if I go thru a period of less activity, I consciously have to decrease the number of calories I’m eating. The appetite may still crave the same amount of food, and habit may cause it to land on our plates, but realistically one has to mesh the two concepts of calories-in vs energy-expended.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 00:51

A good point with energy expenditure. I find conversely I need to remind my self to up my energy input (especially the carbs) when I exercise other wise I experience fatigue and dizziness.

Now that it is ligher and warmer here in the mornings I am up and exercising more. That feels good and I wonder why on earth I stopped it in the first place.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 16:27
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is a great thread, many insightful people here!
I am new to the maintenance club, even though I am not at (or particularly near) my goal weight. I actually have sort of been "forced" into maintenance because I am pregnant and not allowed to lose weight, but wanted to stay with the LC way of eating. I am going to post a thread asking specifically for ideas and suggestions from you all, but wanted to say a quick hello here on this thread, too.
So far, maintenance is easy for me as I was doing a very slow OWL for the last couple of months (on purpose). I also don't count carbs per se, but just try to add in fruits and veggies throughout my day.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the impending new arrival! Sounds like he or she is certainly getting a good start, nutritionally.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 15:39

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

In a thread on another board, Quest says, "I have never gone to the maintenance board, but I am sure they support each other in continuing ways even after reaching goal. As they should!"

Little does she know that this thread is pretty dull. But her quote did spark an interesting thought -- I think this board is pretty dull precisely because Maintainers don't need outside support anymore! The active losers cannot envision a time when they will not need "continuing support". But by the time that Maintainers have reached goal and sustained it, they have worked out the program for themselves. In becoming successful, they have learned to depend on themselves for support.