Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 06:44

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Initally it cost more for me (my DH & DS are not actively LCing but are doing so by default ). I had to replace a lot of the bad food, phase out certain products and restock with the right stuff. Now after having been LCing since March I can comfortable feed my family on about 50.00 a week and without buying any of the processed LC junk. I think a lot of it depends on where & how you shop. I am a big fan of sales and will shop at several different stores in order to make the money go farther. I learned from my grandfather how to take advantage of the marked down meats and so frequently stock up when I hit a sale. Copying his technique, I usually will go to each store in my area every morning for about a week and get the marked down meats. Then I don't have to do anymore meat shopping for the month. Sure that sometimes means that we will have more chicken then fish or meat for a while but in the end it all works out. I usually do the farmers market once a week for fresh veggies. The stuff in the grocery stores is usually of lesser quality and higher price. I will gladly support my neighbors with their roadside stands for fruits and veggies as well. My only big splurge is the protein shake mix I get at the health food store once a month.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Expense of products reason "fad" waning

This is what really burns me up. The high cost of LC products. We love Carb Countdown milk products. In St. Louis, it's $3.98 for HALF-GALLON at regular supermarkets. Walmart supercenters are cheaper but I don't live near one and with the high cost of gas...When Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker put out their LC brownie mix, it was priced at over $4.00!!! Their regular mixes were under $2. Then they wondered why people weren't buying it and soon the media declaired the low carb "fad" was over. ARGGGHHH! No one charges extra for low-fat versions of their products!!!! It is interesting that the only lc products still easily found the on grocer's shelves are the products that are priced like the regular version and go on sale with it too. (yeah, I know the ice creams have less in them...but still they are affordable.) Atkins site is guilty too, their prices are outrageous. Ok, I'm done now, sorry. but thanks for listening to my vent!!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/198.5/140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 52%

yeah,the public just get overpriced when something is popular,greed that is all,the low carb product prices are just way too high,i think that is one reason some markets have stopped selling a lot of low carb products,people can not afford them (myself included) but i will low carb for rest of mylife doing the best i can without buying the highly overpriced products but i do miss some products that have disappeared for shelves,the markets say low carb is dead, i disagree low carb is for life
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 15:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I too spend less than pre low carb.

My family does not LC, wife won't, kids don't need to, dogs are already skinny , so I am the only one. I eat less food! It is about 1/3 of what I used to eat. I drink very little pop(soda) and other such drinks.

The food I eat is healthier, I feel better and my blood levels are better than they have ever been in my life.

If you do buy a lot of the processed LC items, and eat out alot, it can be very expensive. If you are still just plain overeating, same thing. I know two others who "LC" and eat like hogs.

If you follow the lifestyle and listen to your body, you too should be consuming less.

You mention LC tortillas plus shipping, are you ordering in a lot of food?
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 13:58

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am unemployed right now, and I'll end up eating tuna, eggs, and peanut butter only!

I can eat a high-carb diet for about $15 a week. Ramen costs .10 a meal. A big bag of chips or a box of Little Debbie's cakes cost me $1.00.

Forget fresh veggies. Tomatoes $2.50 a pound. $3.00 for a head of broccoli or cauliflower that would last me a day.

I can get adequate protein, but the veggie prices are outrageous. (No, no farmer's markets around here that are cheaper.) If I could grow my own veggies, though....
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 15:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

One thing for sure, I have no more migraines. Sometimes, I will get a regular headache which goes away on its own. Therefore, I am spending less on tylenol and all of its various forms.

I do spend more on my hair now that I am looking good.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 14:21

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I also spend less since I'm not buying "REPLACEMENT MEALS".

If the Diet say's I can't have tortillas then I don't buy a higher price replacement...

If the Diet say's no chocolat cake, then I don'T go buying fake flour, fake sugar, fake cacao...

ETC...

Not to mention all I save on not eating 3 bags of Doritos a week, drinking pitchers of beer at the pub, ice cream in the summer (darn those HazenDaz were expensive), pop cola, pizza (and lord knows how many times the pizza guy used to come over to say hello).

I wrote a post on EXPECTIONS AND PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES that may explain the reasons you find it expensive.

ChÉ
  #83   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 05:35
Go Big or Go Home

Plan: I plan to lose weight!!
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:47.65/25.28/28.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelles
$3.00 for a head of broccoli or cauliflower that would last me a day.
I agree - the price of veggies is outrageous. I paid $7.38 the other day for a head of cauliflower .
  #84   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 22:20
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrus
I agree - the price of veggies is outrageous. I paid $7.38 the other day for a head of cauliflower .

OMG! That's absolutely ridiculous!! Even with the conversion from your money to mine it's bad!!!

Maybe I should post you some

$1.50-3 here ... but they're relatively in season atm, though suffering the drought ...

e
  #85   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 08:34
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrus

Wow that’s bad. I know that occasionally here the prices of some fresh vegetables are outrageous - say 6.00 a pound for red peppers in the winter. Usually though they aren’t too bad - 1.49 for broccolli, maybe as high as 2.99 for a fresh cauliflower. I get around the high winter prices by freezing as many red peppers as I can in the fall, I buy a couple of bushels and clean and freeze them in ziploc bags, they’re not great for putting in salads but are just fine for cooking with.

Usually frozen bagged vegetables are quite cheap no matter what season it is. It is said that contain more nutrients than the fresh because they are flash frozen shortly after picking while the fresh have to travel by truck from California (or where ever) and so have lost a lot of the “freshness” you’re paying for.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 18:01

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

All I have for 'greens' is salad, onions, mushrooms and green bell peppers.

Then cheeze, mayonaise, garlic, salt and pepper;

Meat and fish;

Lots of WATER;

Muti-vitamin;

a few 2.5 carb beers/week;

^^
a+

Last edited by RobinDBois : Sat, May-26-07 at 18:02. Reason: ops forgot
  #87   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 09:32
Go Big or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
say 6.00 a pound for red peppers in the winter
Yet the green peppers are always so cheap.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to make sure I pick up a bag of the frozen cauliflower next time I'm at the store and try it. It's probably more convenient for making mashed cauliflower than the fresh is anyway.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 09:36
Go Big or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Maybe I should post you some
Would be a good idea except the cost of postage would probably make it the same price in the end LOL.

Quote:
$1.50-3 here
That is much more affordable!!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 14:21

Plan: atkins healthy
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 10
BF:
Progress: 21%

It is, I think. But, what upsets me most is I have been so cranky on this. I know it works for many, and its a great WOE. I read these posts, and I am so happy for all of those that feel better, lost weight and are a great support system for everyone here. I had to start eating carbs (healthy one's like beans, no white flour or sugar) and I really feel so much better, mentally. Again, I hope not to offend anybody here. This is my own weakness..and, I envy all of those that can stick with it!!!!!!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/311/200 Female 5'6
BF:

I think being bored with food is totally worth it for the weight loss. ITS JUST FOOD. We need to get over the attachment we have to it, and eat what we need just for the nutrition. I would eat bacon and eggs only forever, if that's what it took.