Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Menstruation and ketosis

I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I am on week six or seven of Atkins (and loving it) and this is the second period I have had while on Atkins and once again I noticed I have dropped way down on the test strip. Yesterday, the first day of my period the test strip said I was in Large ketosis. This morning it is down to a "trace". I noticed the same thing last month. Is this normal or has anyone else noticed anything different during menstruation? (Sorry guys, don't mean to gross you out....!) I did have browned hamburger with diced tomatoes with chili powder (my version of chili on Atkins) and I had some sour cream and a mozerella stick also. Could that have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so because the tomatoes were 5 carbs per 1/2 cup and I don't think I had anymore than the 1/2 cup and the chili powder had no sugar added. I know a womans body does strange things but I was just curious. I don't swear by the test strips but I like to watch myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 09:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/174/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I believe your period can through off those ketosis test strips and that it's best to wait till after you period is done to test again. I had read this not too long ago on this healthboard I post on.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 168/115/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been on atkins for quite awhile and love it so much. I defend it all the time. I tell people it's not all about fat. I chose my quality cuts of meat and fish with a nice salad etc. I make my own chicken strips dipped in mayonaise and roll in my ground almonds or flour when my sister brings to me.

But to get to your TOM: I've found that it's true us woman's body chemicals change constantly during the day. I love like you using the ketostix frequently during the day, at least twice because I know my body well. During my period I've found it to be lighter in the morning when I've had no food yet, but when I get going and had some breakfast I check again before lunch. And I right there Large amount of Keto. I just put that big smile on in the bathroom and feel it mostly in my clothing. Some people don't like using it because when its lightly colored it does a trick to your mind. But understanding my body during the day I know I've been eating right guaranteed. When I check myself more than twice a day, is when I eat out at a fancy restaurant and a waiter tells me this is a good choice for atkins. Believe me, don't always believe the waiter, because immediatly I knew he was wrong with my plate choice, it had SUGAR. He appoligized, but there was nothing on the menu for me to eat, so I just enjoyed my hot tea....It really will be easier the longer your on it to understand what I'm saying about knowing this way of life and your own body. Ketositx aren't cheap, but you know I got myself fat and I really feel I deserve the extra to make me feel good and see the results on the test strip..... I'm sure you know what I mean. I hope I made you feel good.

Amazin77
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 16:41
Registered Member

Stats: 154/129/120 Female 163cm
BF:bat wings abundant
Progress: 74%

Yes I had the same experience. I don't think there is anything wrong as such just a week where your body is thrown out a bit.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 10:19

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 175/161/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

i had the exact thing happen. i was concerned because i haven't changed anything or added any extra carbs. i will definitely wait until my period is over to test again.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 12:34

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

I thought ketosticks were like a pregnancy test- any positive result means you are in ketosis. Whether thats a trace or whatever, it still means the same metabolic result. In fact, if you have a large amount of ketones in your urine, doesn't that mean that your body is not using the fat it's burning as effectively? In doing research on the ketosticks when I started Atkins, I thought I remembered seeing that moderate was the color you were supposed to shoot for? Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I don't think it matters too much how many ketones are in your urine, just that they are there. It is also possible that there is a trace of blood in the sample during TOM and that could be altering the results. Just something to think about
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 13:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Ketosis is about fat. After doing this for 7 years, I have discovered the importance of ketosis during mense. Ketosis=lighter and shorter periods. I am one of many who uses intermittent fasting with the LC diet. When I am experiencing TOM, I increase my fats, or at least keep them at the same level during non-TOM. I also become stricter with fasting, either by eating my 2 meals closer together or by eating one meal a day. Fasting is ketogenic therefore, upping the fats and increasing my fasting hours do keep my ketones higher.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 14:48

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Ketosis=lighter and shorter periods.

Really? I read on here that it is the release of fat-stored estrogen when you are losing weight that gives you the lighter periods, and shortens your cycle. Is there any science saying that ketosis gives you lighter and shorter periods, or is this your observation? I'm just curious.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 22:00

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Ketosis=lighter and shorter periods. I am one of many who uses intermittent fasting with the LC diet.

My, I wish this were true for me, but it just isn't. After 7 years of lowcarbing and observation, Ketosis = more frequent and heavier periods for me...every 21 days and very heavy. I guess every body reacts differently.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 04:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
Really? I read on here that it is the release of fat-stored estrogen when you are losing weight that gives you the lighter periods, and shortens your cycle. Is there any science saying that ketosis gives you lighter and shorter periods, or is this your observation? I'm just curious.

I think your assumption is correct. It is the release of estrogen when fat is burned that causes all the changes in our cycles. That being said, Ketosis is related. You burn more fat right before your TOM and less during. So the fluctuation can be seen on the ketostix
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 05:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I have never been "regular" in my periods ... my entire life! (whether or not I was eating low-carb) ... and even at a healthy weight, I could go months and months without a period ... still managed to get pregnant twice without a problem tho....

Then I met my current boyfriend 3 years ago.. and have been 'regular' ever since. I keep thinking: I'm 46. Shouldn't I be getting rid of these things instead of them becoming 'regular'????? Or have I just reverted back to the age of 14 and now have to go through this the rest of my life?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:33

BF:

Quote:

Try for yourself and see what happens. I have experienced shorter and lighter periods. In my old age, I have developed 4 cysts, increased cramping and periods that would last at least 2 weeks. When I amped up fasting and fat intake during my periods, this all changed. I would like to include that the additional pain that I experienced with my cysts have vanished.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:16

BF:

Quote:
Try for yourself and see what happens. I have experienced shorter and lighter periods. In my old age, I have developed 4 cysts, increased cramping and periods that would last at least 2 weeks. When I amped up fasting and fat intake during my periods, this all changed. I would like to include that the additional pain that I experienced with my cysts have vanished.

Wow, thats really interesting. I will have to try upping my fat intake next time. I suffer from bad cramps too. Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 11:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
I think your assumption is correct. It is the release of estrogen when fat is burned that causes all the changes in our cycles. That being said, Ketosis is related. You burn more fat right before your TOM and less during. So the fluctuation can be seen on the ketostix

Thanks! That is interesting, I didn't know TOM affected fat burning.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 18:35

BF:

Quote:
Wow, thats really interesting. I will have to try upping my fat intake next time. I suffer from bad cramps too. Thanks!

Also take note, that I do intermittent fasting. Fasting is ketogenic and I consider this a contributing factor.