Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/227/150 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Cheese filled Kielbasa...only 2 carbs each....very yummy zapped in the microwave for 35 seconds...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

You can't beat a big bag of meatballs in the freezer for days like this, one of my favorite lunches, is just what every veggies, green ones are best, just barely cooked in a little water maybe 3/4C, then drop in 5-6 meatballs, green onions, a dash of soya sauce, then a cup or so of Campbells low salt chicken or Beef broth, the carton one. Heat til the meatballs are thawed and warm, by then the green veggies should be cooked too.

I use a mix of the following, what ever I happen to have.

Kale / Spinach / Broc/ Caul/ Bok choy/ celery/ Asparagus.

All good and allowed veggies. You can even grate a bit of cheese over it.

I make my meat balls with 1/3 beef, 1/3 pork or lamb, 1/3 turkey. mix with onion, egg, garlic and herbs.

Cheers Kathy
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

I am at 2121 calories today...I just went to the fridge...stared into it...and walked away.

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2121
Fat: 173 1555 74%
Sat: 74 669 32%
Poly: 11 95 5%
Mono: 46 416 20%
Carbs: 17 44 2%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 126 504 24%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Sorry for being so "whiney" and. not "me".
I have been fatigued past few days...had to take an hour nap past few days...been light-headed and sometimes dizzy when I stand up....just yucky.

I will go eat something "legal" now...maybe I will have some more of that cold chicken or something...anything...

Ketosis: Sometimes those filthy little strips show I am IN ketosis, and most times they show nothing.

Best to all, and thanks for all your wonderful and caring ideas and help:
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jun-18-03 at 16:59.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:46

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Ummmmmmmmmmm, when did you last have a check up ?

Kathy
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:49
Registered Member

BF:

Last checkup was May 20th, the day prior to starting Atkins. I have another appointment for This friday. My Doc is supervising my Atkins WOE...and this WOE was HIS idea, and he himself is on Atkins...so he is the right man for the job.
He has been my Doc for over 20 years, and is also a friend...we go to the gunclub together and enjoy the shooting sports etc...

So...he is taking fasting bloodwork this Friday.
Best to All;
Jake
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:56

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Hey Jake - sorry you are having a hard time. I cannot stop recommending the chicken that I use for lunch. We buy huge family packs of chicken thighs - with skin & bone - marinate them (we've used a variety of things from dill pickle juice mixed with olive oil to teriyaki mixed with sesame oil) and cook them SLOWLY on the barbeque. We usually smoke them using either alder, hickory or mesquite wood soaked for 1/2 hour prior in water and tossed on the coals just before cooking. Keep the vents open just a minimal amount to keep the fire low. They are SOOOOOO good, have lots of protien and they are good hot or cold. We cook the whole batch and divide them into freezer bags (2-3 per bag) and they last the 2 of us about 2 weeks for lunch.

I usually have them with a green salad or with celery dipped in blue cheese dressing. Per Fitday - 1 large chicken thigh = 162 cals.

Another quick fix for me is all beef franks or chicken sausage. So quick to heat up and they stick with ya.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Stats: 203/171/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hey Jake,

I have huge problems finding things for lunch cause i hate soggy salads (which is what happens when i make it in the morn and take it to work) and am sick of tuna and stuff.

I did try and awesome real easy yummy thing the other day - cream cheese rolled up in ham - hey you could make a sandwhich with ham as the bread and cream cheese as the filling - YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i'm cooking at night i often cook 2 dishes and take one for work the next day (i like eating things cold) Meats with creamy sauces are really nice cold (if you like that kind of thing)

I like browning chicken in a pan add cream and garlic and 1 teaspoon of tomato paste - its make a really yummy cold lunch

Keep smiling dude
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Jake, I think you are I are one. I get CRA-HABBY when I am hungry. My husband fears me if I don't eat at certain times. My mother is the SAME way (I seem to get a lot of positive qualities from that woman).
Of course, we all know what made us feel better when we had a "CrabA$$ MUST HAVE FOOD" moment. Everyone better stand BACK at the buffet line 'cause we're comin' in.
I find that cheese helps me when I am cranky. I know that only 3 to 4 oz is "legal" on Induction, but you must save your sanity. One day is not going to ruin your progress. Have some Braunshweiger (I KNOW I spelled that wrong), if you like it. Fried chicken is always good. Sprinkle some fried bacon bits on scallops.
Most of all, you could always go for a long walk to drain the frustration out. Get your headset on full of songs that pump you up, and take a walk. By the time you get back, you may be feeling better. B Vits will also help your mood and believe it or not, take Midol. My husband does when he's crabby.
So, you go slightly over your 20 g's for the day. We all have our moments when we need to Get Out of the rut. Sometimes it's exhilirating to have that moment when we don't need to pay 100% attention to what's right. Throw caution to the wind. Have that block of cheese!!!! You'll probably feel better tomorrow and want to follow the plan again.
Good luck!!!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:04
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

EAT! You've only had 17 carbs today -- 12 net. Still room for more. No need to go hungry.

And don't worry about the strips. As long as you're in ketosis you're fine. And remember, it can register next to nothing if you're burning all the ketones for fuel that you're producing. It only measures ketones not used and excreted.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 203/171/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

I agree with use2bthin,

Vitamin B has helped my awful need food now temper.

I am one of those people who go totally raving mad when i am hungry - it always comes on really quickly and instead of feeling 'hungry' my stomach just gets really painful really quick!!
Ever since i started taking vitamin B I have have been heaps better And people don't run away and hide under the tables anymore
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:17
Registered Member

BF:

Chicken thighs sound great...will buy some tomorrow.
HAM...I MISS ham. Have stayed away because of the salt...but I am buying some lo-sodium deli ham tomorrow...and rolling in that cream cheese.

Use2bthin: Yep...from the posts, you and I seem to be "related"! I will have to check with my Mom! Also, love your pic...you remind me of a movie star, and I cannot for the life of me remember who it is. My wife says so also...and she too, cannot think of it. You are a very lovely woman. Sometime, though, I kinda doubt you are Italian...being such a LIGHTWEIGHT and all!

Kaillaen: You are simply an Angel. Most definately an ANGEL.

I just drank a QUART of water...so that should hold me. Now my belly is filled with H2o. I should have eaten...but for some reason I have become obsessed with keeping those calories low and trying to maximize results on the stupid scale. I know it is a BIG mistake...and I would advise another to NOT do this...but I seem to mentally "stuck" with the concept. I am now "afraid" to eat.

Just used one of those STUPID PLASTIC STRIPS...shows DEEP PURPLE. So I know I am in Ketosis, which I knew anyway by my breath.
Best to all;
Floating Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jun-18-03 at 17:25.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:28

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am sorry you have been having such a rough time. I think we will all go through that. try to make some meatloaf and warm it up on the days you don't want to make lunch. It is an awesome life saver and it is all induction safe if made without the bread. Pork rinds will work wonders in this
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

My mother is the Italian (she weighs roughly 115). She's tiny, but mighty. My father is Bohemian and English. I get my dark hair from Ma' and my pale skin from my father.
I truly hope that you can do what makes you happy. "This to shall pass" and I feel that for every bad thing that happens to you, a good thing is right around the corner. Look how far you've come! You and RickinTN are my husband's strength and motivation. He's doing this because guys like you do it and succeed!!!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:38

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally posted by use2bthin
You and RickinTN are my husband's strength and motivation. He's doing this because guys like you do it and succeed!!!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I never even dreamed of being an inspiration to anyone when I started this
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:42
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hang in there Jake. If you are hungry EAT. You know what I do I have a tablespoon of oil with almost every meal. I kno it sounds gross but it helps keep you full. After each meal have one.

Also, you get 20g of carbs get at close as you can. On most days I try to hit 20g.

I had pastrami for lunch today I got it from the deli. Buy some, it's delicious.

I agree with fairchild drink lots of water.

Jake you can do this. Hang on.

Peace
red