Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

sasquatch could you post what a regular daily menu would be on the PP?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

Well-
It mainly depends on your protein requirements-they're in either the Protein Power, or PP LifePlan books(can't speak for the other book, don't own it), but here goes:

Breakfast: 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, and 1-2 oz kefir- mixed with an immersion blender 'til smooth

Lunch: 1 cup lettuce. 1/2 cup cucumber slices, with about 3 oz chicken breast (in a dill/ sour cream based sauce from the salad bar), along with approx. 2oz each of turkey, and roast beef, along with 2oz cheese-I get a sandwich made for me in the caffeteria at work, then I lose the bread!

Dinner: 1 1/2 -2 cups salad with ranch dressing(Ken's- very low carb), meat, and some veggies, SF jello for dessert (extra protein powder shake,to get the protein ammount up for the meal.

Liquids: AT LEAST 7 quarts of water, 2- 20oz bottles of diet soda, about 12 oz of iced coffee after dinner(Still can't survive without my caffeine!!)
Again, your protein reqs. will be different & you'll have to factor then in
GOOD LUCK, it's a GREAT WOL!!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 11:55
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

My own personal opinion is that I'm doing much better on PP than on Atkins. I'm losing weight steadily, whereas on Atkins what came off, came off in a whoosh the first couple of days and then nada. So I imagine it was all water weight. I don't have the energy surge that I had on Atkins, but on the other hand I feel more stable. Cravings are gone, as are headaches, wooziness, and the extreme thirst I sometimes experienced. I like what I'm eating more, too, since I can add moderate amount of fruit, which I really missed. The idea of spreading carbs out equally throughout the day seems to work well, too.

And this might be heresy, but I'm going to say it anyway: I think calories DO matter. Fat simply has more calories than protein. PP does advise watching fat calories, to some extent, as it suggests low fat cheeses and lean meats as main protein sources. I think I wasn't just psychologically uncomfortable with the fats on Atkins; it made a physical difference, too. At least for me. PP does mean monitoring one's intake carefully, and perhaps it feels more like a "diet"; but I do feel it's healthier and more effective in the long term.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:37

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hi all,

I switched from Atkins induction to Protein Power on the 4th of July because since induction I had gained back 3 pounds. I was bloated and felt sick to the stomach from so many high fat foods and lack of fruits in my diet.

I feel much much better on the PP. This is much more relistic for me. I think each person has to assess their own needs. I enjoy fruit and don't particularly like eating high fatty meals. Initially I added fruit to both meals but felt a hugh sugar spike during the second snack after dinner so I have decided to just have fruit in the morning for now, at least that satisfies any cravings I might have...doesn't make me feel like I'm giving up something.

Although I haven't noticed a change in the scales yet...My legs look smaller, not rubbing together as much.

Hope this helps...
Atkins June 13, 2003
Protein Power July, 4, 2003
211/203/205
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:42
Contributing Member

Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%

Looking forward to my thighs not rubbing anymore. I am looking forward to walking up stairs without becoming over winded. Jogging - running a marathon. My kids will now enjoy my company

I need to keep those things in my head everyday, it becomes easier. I feel off the wagon but I'm back with a vengance.

Chow
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 16:43

Changing from Atkins to Protein Power has also been a very very good move for me... Like sasquatch I don't have the desire to snack as much as I did on Atkins and don't feel deprived. I have fruit, wine, and other things that are low carb I just count the carbs... I do notice, however, that if I keep it to one serving of fruit per day...mostly in my shakes that I lose weight faster and don't experience sugar spikes....

It's been good....

TJ
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:56

Plan: Protein Power/Moderation
Stats: 192/190/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Success stories

I was happy to see this Bulletin Board over at the PP website. I love this one. If you want inspiration check it out.

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...i?ubb=forum;f=2

Last edited by sierra_jen : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 21:21.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:24

Thanks for the info...I checked it out and got some good ideas for chicken and a nice pizza that everyone is raving about...
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 315/280/225 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am doing Protein power and my biggest problem is that I LIKE a lot of fat--it tastes great and keeps me feeling full. When I eat chicken I like thighs----I know they are loaded with fat--I just can't stand chicken breasts--they are so dry and chewy compared to thighs. Maybe the fat is why I am not losing very much---but at the same time, if I went lower fat, this would just feel like another diet and there is no way I am up for that.

#25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:26

BF:

I think there is lots of fat in the PP plan
Not as much as Atkins but plenty of butter, cheese, olive oils and even cream.

I agree though the fat help stave off the hunger for longer. If you still feel this wy after awhile you might just want to add some EFA's (essential fatty acids) to your diet. It's all good fat you need.

once you've been doing it for some time those cravings will lessen.

Best of luck

Last edited by sierra_jen : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 20:20.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 05:53
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I don't think the Eades are anti-fat at all! They're just judicious about the kinds of fat consumed--especially if you're sensitive to AA (found in red meats and egg yolks). Super_Tate, have you tried panfrying your chicken in olive oil? If you make chicken breasts THAT way, I bet you won't find them stringy and dry. And the idea of marinating red meats in olive oil and wine to leach out some of the saturated fat and replacing it with monounsaturated fat makes the meat taste great! IMHO, the taste of a good olive oil beats any other fat! But as sierra just said, a lot of the other fats are permitted on this WOE anyway.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:31

Plan: A4L
Stats: 147/138/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I decided to switch to Protein Power. I want to eat more vegetables than I could on Atkins. im going to try it for a month and see how I do.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:18

Stats: 258/251/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

I changed to Protein Power (just this week) because I like that it's more relaxed and there are no bans on foods. I can eat potato and bread and not suffer from cravings, but I still need to low carb to regulate sugars and lose weight. I also had zero energy on Atkins induction. I've had some energy on PP Phase I and figure to have more when my water retention and PMS is over.

ttfn,
Darcy

Last edited by LC4me2 : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 13:23.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:57

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

I am glad I found this thread!!

I am new to PP, and LC in general. It seems like a lot of people I know are doing Atkins and are trying to get me to also. I was honestly considering it, but having read this thread and others I think I will stick with PP.

My worry has been how many calories I have been consuming. I weigh 255 lbs, and have been eating about 2500 calories a day, mostly protein and fat. On another board they said that was fine, and that as I lose weight, I will naturally want to cut down, plus soon enough my appetite will curb a bit. I did try to do 1800 yesterday and I was starving!! Do you find after a few weeks of LCing you eat less and lose cravings? I guess I am worried I will gain instead of lose with all this meat and fat!!

PP definitely seems easier to follow, although rather scientific. I may pick up the 30 day program to see if that simplifies it a bit.

Robin

I just want to do this right
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4me2
I changed to Protein Power (just this week) because I like that it's more relaxed and there are no bans on foods. I can eat potato and bread and not suffer from cravings, but I still need to low carb to regulate sugars and lose weight. I also had zero energy on Atkins induction. I've had some energy on PP Phase I and figure to have more when my water retention and PMS is over.

ttfn,
Darcy

It's all about choices and eating in the "REAL" world. Sure you can have "1/4" of a baked potato (not a whole one because it blows your whole carb allowance for the day if your on Phase II) but wouldn't you rather have a huge helping of broccoli and a wonderful salad with all the trimmings? my personal choice is getting full on something that doesn't turn to sugar a half an hour after I eat it. Don't forget to take vitamins if your feeling lethargic.

Good luck
Jen