Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Karen Barnaby in the Vancouver Province paper

Bring on the brisket

The Province

Sunday, June 08, 2003

CREDIT: Jon Murray, The Province

Chef Karen Barnaby prepares Flaming Prawns at the Fish House in Stanley Park.

WHO: Karen Barnaby, Executive Chef, The Fish House in Stanley Park

NIGHT OUT SUGGESTIONS: "The place I go to most often is Memphis Blues BBQ House (1465 W. Broadway). I love the brisket and eat it with no sauce and a big salad or collard greens. If I go with a group, it's always the Memphis platter. I'm very appreciative because (the owners) let me bring in a low-carb dessert if it's a celebration. About all I drink is Japanese green tea in the morning and water. If I'm out, I might live it up a bit and have sparkling water. Yeah, I know. I'm boring.

"Other places -- Stepho's Souvlaki Greek Taverna (1124 Davie St.) because it's very low-carb friendly. I like going there with other 'cult' members. For fancy, West (2881 Granville St.) and C (2-1600 Howe St.) because they're just too fabulous. Gyoza King (1508 Robson St.) because it's sooo Japanese and the Cannery (2205 Commissioner St.) for great food, service and the spectacular view."

FAVOURITE COOKBOOK: "Any Indian cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey. The flavours and techniques boggle my mind. The dishes can be incredibly sophisticated but even the simple ones are packed with flavour. I have a lot of favourite dishes but a few that I keep on returning to are Prawn and Coconut-milk Curry that includes kodampoli -- a smoked fruit rind --pureed mustard greens with loads of garlic and butter; panir (homemade cheese) salad with tomato, diced ginger, chili and cilantro and lamb patties with whole coriander seeds. They're all in her Flavours of India book.

FAVOURITE KITCHEN GADGET: "A Vietnamese mortar and pestle that I leave on the counter. Great for salad dressings, smooshing up herbs and garlic for marinades, coarsely cracking pepper and crushing spices. I also like a coffee grinder for doing bigger grinding jobs that I'm too lazy to do in the mortar and pestle. My canine appliances do a good job with baked-on meat juices in roasting pans. They do the pre-wash before the dishwasher."

MOST MEMORABLE MEAL: "At a tofu restaurant in Kyoto. Everything was so unbelievably good that I wanted to bang my head on the table and scream. From yuba (soft-tofu skin), tempura with tofu, kombu and 'American' cheese, and a huge half moon of tofu that was like tofu made from soy cream. I could have eaten it for days! "

BEST CHILDHOOD FOOD MEMORY: "Eating whole artichokes with my grandmothers when I was about four. I had never seen one before, which added to their mystery. We ate the leaves dipped in melted butter and they taught me how to take the fuzz out of the middle. It was late afternoon and I remember the lighting as being perfect. After that, I thought that all succulent plants shaped like artichokes were artichokes and had to be discouraged from eating them."

Interview with Karen Barnaby.

© Copyright 2003 The Province

Click on the link to see the article & a pic of Karen.

http://www.canada.com/search/story....a5-7554574449de

Last edited by Ruth : Sun, Jun-08-03 at 12:25.
Sponsored Links