Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Sorry Ian..that's why I wanted everyone to let me know where they are, so I could set a place that's mid-way to everyone, but nobody answered the where part except shelm and ella. Guess this won't be happening. If someone else wants to plan a low-carb dinner or whatever, i'd be happy to join. Until then, I guess we have the forum :-)
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 10:46

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thought I had stated my location on Aug 10th posting.
Too bad it didn't work out this time.

You're idea is still a very good one and hopefully we can still all get together for a potluck.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Really sorry Ian, guess I just thought you were familiar with the West End and were helping us find a location, didn't realize you also lived there or that you were interested in coming. I only had two from Sandy Hill and one from Arnprior who said anywhere is fine so I went with Sandy Hill. I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding.
I also still think the pot luck would be a lot of fun. I actually went yesterday anyway just in case someone showed up. I didnt want to be responsible for having someone drive so far and then have nobody there to greet them. Kinda felt like an idiot sitting there by myself with a "Ottawa area LC ers" sign though, lol.
You know I didn't realize that not everyone gets these postings in their email. I just thought maybe people were simply not interested in the pot luck idea. If there is still some interest out there please post and maybe we can arrange something after all :-) I would also love to take that dance class Ella, if you are still around. I'm taking pilates soon with a friend and you are welcome to join us if you wish. Anyone else in the downtown area who would like to take pilates is welcome as well, just let me know. Would still love to meet you Ian, as well as froufie, Shelm and her mom, lc, ella, and the rest of you. All the best.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:37

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Sorry to hear the picnic was a bust....I think we should still try and plan a get together? Would love to meet other Ottawa low carbers? Any ideas?

Also check out: http://atkinsdiet.meetup.com/?change=1&localeId=894 to sign up....maybe we can find other Ottawa people to join in!

Froufie
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:05

Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default pork rinds

If you are looking for Pork Rinds there are two brands about town. Porkey's I've found at Zellars downtown at Sparks/O'Connor. They are about $1.20 per bag. I prefer Ol' Grandad's ($1.99, but a larger bag). Downtown I've found them in a govn't building at 400 Cumberland (in the canteen) and at a magazine shop called Ceci-Cela Smoke shop at the Metlife Building at 50 O'Connor (next to the Starbucks). The Grandads brand has regular and BBQ (the BBQ tastes sweet but the label says no carbs!). They are zero carbs per 14 rinds. If you find they taste a bit like styrofoam on their own, they make great nachos (which I miss so much) with a dab of salsa and grated cheese. MMMmmm! Now all I need is a low carb beer (Sleeman Clear available at most beer stores). My tough challenge is next week. Going out of town for work AND my b-day! I think I can resist on my own, but when my buddies start buying shooters, it's so rude to decline.....but it's my b-day I guess?!?

Anyone happy with a L/C Chilli? Has anyone had Mexi's Texas Red Hot Chilli? I love that!! But not sure 'bout the carbs....
Half a glass of soda water and half Crystal Lite tastes great too! Made popsicles with diluted Crystal Lite. I dilute cuz I'm not sure yet how my body handles aspertame.
L/C Tortillas are my work lunch fav's. Turkey n romaine lettuce w/mayo and chilli pepper is great! Made one with chicken and ceasar the other day!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tip regarding nachos..sounds great! As for the chili though i'd be careful...the books I have list chili as having anywhere from 12 to 20 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup. Tomatoes and beans are both quite high in carbs. As for aspertame, it shouldnt' raise your blood sugar. The worry regarding aspertame is that it is not proven to be safe, and in fact has been linked to cancer. It's probably okay in small amounts but maybe save it for what you really want. If you are craving something sweet to drink I know they've started making grape and cream soda with Splenda now..yay! If anyone is not sure about the carb count in something, please ask and maybe I can find the answer for you. I have three books here that list the carb count in almost everything. Also, you can go to http://www.atkinsfriends.com/carbcounter.shtml and use their carb counter.
Rich since we live in the same area, please let me know if you want to get together for some exercise. A friend and I are starting pilates soon, you are welcome to join if you like. If you have any other ideas for exercise, please let me know.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:46

BF:
Progress:
Default exercise

Thanks for the invite to Pilates. Where and when would that happen. It is hard for me to commit to classes as my work sched. is very erratic. Right now I'm writing from Edmonton. I was looking for local yoga, Hatha perhaps. I've seen the Ott. Rec Guide, but they don't have Hatha during after work hours in Sandy Hill, just at lunch. I'm leaning toward vollyball at Ott. U Sat and sundays drop-in. I think $5.00 per day. Then off to Father/sons or Oak for a huge L/C brunch! If you know of any other types of classes in the area let me know. I liked the idea for Karate at UofO but was a tad $$$ for my tastes as a non-student.
I'm sorry the Picnic idea crapped out. I think it was a terrific idea. Hope next summer we can do it, perhaps on reg basis...each time everyone brings sample of L/C products to share, or sample of recipes. Let me know if something is in the works (I have a small portable BBQ to bring). Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for a great place to meet/discuss and have a huge L/C Brunch (on weekends). Sit and chat over decaf coffee or tea I nominate the Oak because it is close and has good brunch. Anyone have any other suggestions? (my hotel here had all you can eat brunch with tons of options for L/C...omlettes, bacon, eggs, ham, sausage, shrimp. Lots to choose from and lots of variety...all for about $12.00!) If you find the right place for brunch locally, it is a nice break to go out and sample...
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 16:04
Registered Member

BF:

The brunch sounds great, rich. If you are up for it, please let me know if this coming Sunday would be all right for us to meet at the Oak on Laurier, and I will bring all the information I have on exercise classes. The pilates starts later in September, there's Tai Chi starting in October and there's also a walking club in Sandy Hill. So if you are interested In meeting for brunch please provide a time that is best for you. Thanks :-)
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:44

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I was thinking we should "post" something in the Ottawa Citizen....I think in the weekend section, things to do, where all groups post their meetings and events.

How about a notice for "Ottawa Area Low Carbers" sunday morning brunch...and we pick a venue which we are sure has lc stuff??

What do you think? Any other suggestions? We would of course post something here as well?

Any other ideas?

Froufie
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:12

BF:
Progress:
Default brunch

(From Edmonton). I'm fine for this sunday, round noonish. Maybe we could explore other brunch options as well so we could get bigger group turn-out. I can't remember what (Mother) Tuckers has going, but I'm up for anything nearby. Who else is in!!
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 22:11
Registered Member

BF:

Great,noon it is. Of course anyone who is free to come would be most welcome. I just wanted to make this meeting soon because many of the exercise classes are starting very soon. So anyone who is interested, it's SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 14th AT NOON, AT THE ROYAL OAK ON LAURIER AVENUE (right in front of the University of Ottawa). Hope to see you there!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds like a good idea to me froufie...Hope you can come on Sunday to discuss it more :-)
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi everyone is this open to newbies?
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

yes Bess...and WELCOME! We are totally open to all newcomers, so if you want to join us on Sunday the 14th it's at noon at the Royal Oak on Laurier Avenue. Hope to see you there :-)
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks pushkin999 for the welcome! I am sorry but I can't make it to your meeting. But I would love to chat with some locals!
I am just outside the city but I am pretty much housebound due to an illness. I do have people helping me and would love to hear places to pick up LC products. Also looking to have someone to chat about the program with me. OK?!

Sometimes people in the US have things we don't have and visa versa. I think it would be more helpful as I go along to have a local outlook on things.

I would also love to hear how the meeting went too! Ok?!