Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Definately up for all of the above. I`m also thinking of taking up Salsa lessons this fall. Ottawa Dance Zone on Chapel Street has lessons for total beginners for pretty cheap (I think they were $60 or something like that) and you don`t need partners. I think perhaps we should get a little crew together and shake our groove thangs...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Ella, if I can find my "groove thang" I would be more than happy to shake it lol. Dance lessons sound great to me. We should all get together for a lunch or dinner and figure out what we want to do. I can see the headlines now..."low carbers hit Ottawa, city has never been the same"...lmao. Anyone interested in getting together for a dinner let me know and we can all discuss low-carb stuff and exercises to do together. Sound good?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 22:34

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%
Cool

Hi everyone,

Stumbled upon this site quite by accident. My wife and I have been doing Atkins for almost 3 months now. Nice to find some low carb treats here in our city.

After reading the posting on stevia I'm definetly off to check out Hazeldean Rd. tomorrow. How's the taste of stevia anyhow?

A few items I've found at Loblaws that have become household staples here are

1) Presidents Choice mild Buffalo wings.... 0.2 carbs per each 2-3 wings.

2) Presidents choice Timid Jerk Chicken wings..... 0 carbs

both are pretty spicy and come pre cooked. 20 minutes heated in the oven and they are ready for the dinner plate.

3) Presidents Choice Original mayonaise.... 0 carbs
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%
Lightbulb

Hello: I've just joined the forum and was going to lurk around for a while before joining in the discussions, but I just had to share a bit of info. I was in Costco (Cyrville Rd) today and they were selling Atkins Advantage bars for $29.99/case of 15 bars (Chocolate lovers case which includes cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter, and almond brownie). I know that not everyone can eat these bars, but for those of you who do, this is a great price (aside for waiting for a sale at Shoppers Drug Mart or Pharmaplus...only to find that they are sold out when you get there!!).
I'll be back soon.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:33

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I too have discovered the PC mild buffalo wings...and have stocked up. Didn't know about the "jerk chicken" tho and will have to try it...is it spicier than the wings?

About the PC mayonnaise....is there any sugar in it? Hard to find mayo without sugar (I think I am using the PC brand...will have to check).

I was at Carlingwood mall today...at GNC and Nutrition House...for some more supplements...saw Stevia (both liquid and powder) at GNC...but did not check prices or anything.

Also checked out the supplement/organic section at our local Loblaw's...and I also saw the Atkins bars there for $29.99/box if anyone is interested (and does not have a membership to Costco).

I have one Advantage bar, which I actually have not tried yet!!! Did buy a So-bee SF dark chocolate bar which I am keeping for an "emergency situation"....it is pretty good. Also found some pork rinds today (Pharma plus in Carlingwood mall...with the lo carb supplements...lol . Got the bacon/cheddar flavor and bbq...hubby ate the whole bbq bag...not too bad, but very salty. I tried the bacon/cheddar flavor...not crazy about it...and also pretty salty.

If anyone discovers anything else...would love to hear about it!

Froufie
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default possible DINNER MEETING for Ottawa low-carbers

Again, anyone interested in meeting for a dinner let me know. It occurs to me that many people haven't tried a lot of products, and since I have so many maybe I could bring some for people to try. Should save some of you from having to buy a bunch of stuff you don't like. Maybe if anyone has anything for all of us to try they can bring it too, and we can all save some money by sampling things this way, since the low carb stuff IS so expensive and it's a huge waste of money buying this stuff and finding out you don't enjoy eating it. I have a couple of kinds of low-carb bread, several flavors of Atkins bars and a few other types of bars, a few types of shakes, low-carb cereal, brownies, muffins, candies, chocolate, crunchers (chips) and much more. Everyone PLEASE let me know what you think of the dinner and the sharing idea. If nobody is interested I will move on to other things. Thanks all. :-)
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:59

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%

I just went up to my fridge to check that P.C mayo. Sugar is listed in the ingredients, but well down on the list. It does state on the nutritional guide on the side that both the carbs and sugar counts are 0 g. per 1 Tbsp serving though.

I also have found at Sobeys an "Our Compliments" brand "creamy garlic Caesar" salad dressing. It has a carb count of 0.2 g per Tbsp. This has been the lowest count on any salad dressing I've seen. It's also relatively inexpensive as it sells usually at about $1.99 a bottle.

I like the idea of getting together for a dinner . Especially since most of these low carb products can be pretty costly. As well it's less tempting dining with people who are sharing your aversion to carbs. I do have a couple of recipes for chocolate truffles and fudge brownies that aren't half bad.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I'd love to go for a low-carb dinner.

Wa'il
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:15

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Wow Pushkin...you're a veritable "LC Store"! I am impressed......and trying new products is a great idea.

A low carb dinner sounds like fun...!!!!

Froufie
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:13
Registered Member

BF:

wow! glad to hear people are so interested. Think this could be fun. Guess I will wait a week or two for those who don't check the forum all the time, but in the meantime everyone please tell us where you would like to meet...a restaurant or an area of town so we can get an idea of what's best for everyone. I'm in Sandy Hill (downtown). Or do you think we should just do a picnic and everyone bring their low-carb products to try AND one low-carb dish...that way we can try each other's recipes as well. A kind of pot-luck picnic. Let me know :-)
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

I'm totally in for dinner, either at a restaurant or pot-luck picnic. I'm still pretty new to this all and haven't found much stuff yet but could certainly whip up a recipie or two.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:52
Registered Member

BF:

Great! So far that's Ella Mae, Froufie, tamarian, ianrossguy, me (pushkin999) for the low-carb dinner. This is shaping up well! Will wait a little longer for confirmation from others then make a plan. Remember, if you have a preference regarding location let me know. I really want this to be convenient, fun and helpful for everyone. Anyone have any other ideas? You could email me at ******* and let me know if you are bringing a main dish/dessert/etc. as well so we don't end up with a totally chocolate menu (but doesn't that sound gooood?? lol) Remember to bring some low-carb products for sampling as well, and paper/pens to copy all the yummy recipes everyone will bring.
Any preferences at all, please contact via email or forum. Thanks :-)

[ moderator edit: please do not post email addresses, per forum rules. Members may send and receive private messages after they have 25 posts ]
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

oops sorry...didnt' explain that I thought maybe a potluck would be best since I can't think of a restaurant that would want us sharing samples of the non-restaurant food. Also anyone who wants to bring alcohol go ahead, we know there are certain kinds allowed on LC, but please make sure you have a ride home. If you need a ride to or from the location (once the location is decided) please say so in this forum and we can all try to make arrangements. Really looking forward to this!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

I think the idea of a potluck is great. They're always such a great adventure. I'm a veggie so I can put together a tofu-based dish and bring a few of the soy-based products I've been using as low-carb protein sources. I can also bring a bottle of vino if anyone else is interested in indulging.

I live in the downtown area and don't drive so it would be easier for me if we met someplace central instead of the boondocks, but I'm flexible if everyone else is the 'burbs.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

No problem ella. If it's easier for the others to meet in the west end i'll just pick you up on my way :-) but of course central is great with me since it's close to home. I will be gone for a couple days (computer repairs AGAIN) but hope to be back on by next week so keep the replies coming all. Will check a.s.a.p.