Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 188/171/130-140
BF:
Progress:
Question Also about sodas

I know sodas aren't good for us, and especially the diet sodas with aspartame.

I heard that the caffeine free sodas are okay, but are they really better that the other ones?
I would like to know because I have cut out sodas completely from my diet for a year now.

My husband however likes to have one once in a while and he keeps getting the diet ones.
His father who is diabetic drinks sodas, diet or regular, all day long.

Are the caffeine free sodas okay to drink, and has anyone in Canada seen them around anywhere 'cause I can't find them anymore?
I'll have to travel to places that do have them just to enjoy them again.

But I do have to admit that since I cut them out I have noticed a steady weight drop, and when I started this diet it helped it along.

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa&Craig : Tue, Jul-03-01 at 07:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 14:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Caffeine-Free Sodas

Coke makes a caffeine free diet soda which I'm sure must be available in your area... as to whether they are good or bad.. I guess it is an individual decision... some folks are able to consume them with little effect while others claim they cause a stall to weight loss...

Bonnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 14:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Actually Lisa/Craig, caffeine sodas aren't really okay. Caffeine is a known stimulant that can cause blood chemistry to go haywire.

The rule of thumb is, if you are consuming caffeine and not losing any weight, to cut it out completely and check again.

Everyone is different so your mileage may vary from others.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

There's caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi and most major supermarket chains have their own version. The store brands are usually also sodium free, and have less aspartame. The sodium seems to make a difference for me, not the caffeine. I sleep better without the caffeine but I have more energy with it. I have been drinking lots of it since I started Atkins. In fact, I drink it instead of water, but that's just me!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down Caffeine free sodas

Well I ventured out to a different store than my usual one yesterday to look for some caffeine free sodas.

I did find the caffeine free and caffeine free diet sodas, brand names Pepsi and Coke.
Those were the only two, and right there in big print:
"SWEETENED WITH ASPARTAME".

Well, I went to my regular place "Loblaws" and found in the natural section, carbonated drinks.
They have many flavours, all the fruit flavours are 100% fruit juices and it says there is no sugar other than sweetened with those fruits. The name brand is "R.W. Knudsen Family"

I enjoyed the drink and will take one of those over the other sodas now.

The drink is made in the United States so for those of you from there who are also looking for an alternative to sodas, try to find some of these drinks.

Have a healthy day.
Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:46

No sugar added, but sweetened with "natural fruit juice" aka sugar.

Sugar is sugar....doesn't matter if it's processed or "natural" it is still sugar aka carbohydrates. That one single drink sweetened with "natural fruit juice" is probably 20+ carbohydrates.

How many carbs did it say on the label?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Question Drink?

It didn't say how many?
I did taste it, but didn't drink it all.
I'm still looking for a number on the web to call this company to ask them for the nutritional info and I'm looking for someone to bring this drink to to see if they can tell me.

Anyway, sodas aren't good for anyone, period.

Oh well, guess there aren't any carbonated drinks anywhere for me. I'm still looking I guess.
There is one good thing though, I haven't had any sodas for a year and a half, until I tasted that yesterday!
And I don't like fizzy drinks everyday. Even when it was sodas, I only had maybe two in a month.

One more thing.... other than water (which I do drink a lot of), what -CAN- I drink that has flavour and a low carb count?

Thanks for the input. All of your advice has been useful and I have gotten past the stall I was at and now I'm at 16 ponds lost since May 12 th 2001. It's a start.
I'll see you all at the finish line!
Thanks again,
Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:43

I drink Diet RC's. They are sweetened with Splenda. And yup it has caffeine in it, but so far has yet to cause me to stall out.

Until I hit a major stall I am keeping my caffeine. It's my last vice, since I have quit smoking and drinking.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 12:35

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down

In Canada Diet RC is made with aspartame. Diet Crush (orange and cream soda) is made with Splenda, and so is Virgin diet cola (has caffeine though) or Slim Jones (diet version of Jones Soda). They're hard to find, except for the Crush which they have in 12 packs of cans in most grocery stores. Oh yeah, there's also diet Clearly Canadian, no caffeine, made with Splenda.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 12:45

Stats: 281/227/195
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default DIET SODA

i have heard people say that aspartame has caused a stall in weight loss, and I know there are some heath concrens about it's uses. I guess that is a personal decison.

Atkins says that he has seen aspartame cause people to stall, I have not experienced it, I drink a ton of soda (a lot of water too.)
My concern would be more with the caffene, I love the energy boost; but, it does in some people (including me) increase appetite. Willpower will beat hunger, but why make the mountian higher?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 13:13

BF:
Default RE: Diet Sodas

The only diet soda made with Splenda and caffeine free that I am aware of is Diet Rite Soda made in Jacksonville, Florida...I contacted the company to see if they had distributors elsewhere and they seem to be concentrated mainly in the Florida area possibly only on the central eastern coast...anyone here from Florida add any more input????... too bad as this is a really good soda ....IMHO better than any Coke or Pepsi Product...

Bonnie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 18:26

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Diet Orange

Hi Bonnie. I have bought a 2 litre bottle of diet orange Crush . But it must have been in Sobeys because Super Store does not have it. I have not seen the cans here in Nova Scotia yet but I have not looked much either. I also buy Trident gum made with Splenda.
Norma
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 18:53

BF:
Default Re: Diet Orange

Quote:
Originally posted by NNN
Hi Bonnie. I have bought a 2 litre bottle of diet orange Crush . But it must have been in Sobeys because Super Store does not have it. I have not seen the cans here in Nova Scotia yet but I have not looked much either. I also buy Trident gum made with Splenda.
Norma

You are correct NNN, have a 2 litre bottle here and ironically we can get them in most supermarkets just north of ya (but no cans here either)... Sobeys and Superstore... no caffeine listed as an ingredient ...not certain if Crush is readily available in the central and western parts of Canada... for a cola type drink though sure wish Diet Rite sodas were available here... was able to purchase 24 cans at Walmart superstores in the south for $5.00 US without any extra charged for deposit
Trident gum with Splenda is excellent and I carry it in my purse at all times... thanks for pointing these items out

Bonnie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:05

Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

I am out in BC and have yet to find diet Crush anywhere. I have a local grocery store looking into it to see if they could order some in. Diet cream soda would be awesome. For now, clearly canadian is my absolute fav but pricey.

I also haven't found any of the diet Jones yet either <sigh>.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:29

BF:
Default RE: Caffeine Pros and Cons

Those of us who have followed this WOE for awhile have I'm sure tried to figure out things that work and help stay on track.. hubby and I both started LC November 1999... in that time I have faithfully tried to stay away from caffeine and am now approximately 10 lbs. from goal wt. but have been this way for quite some time..on the other hand hubby has constantly dropped from a beginning weight of approx. 220 lbs. to now hitting the scales at 165 yesterday...here is the thing..he gets up every morning without fail and makes a ten cup pot of coffee (not caffeine free) and proceeds to drink at least two to three cups of this during the day complete with cream and Splenda...he's a prime example where somehow the caffeine works just the opposite of what is to be expected...what really bothers me is his announcement in the mornings when he has dropped another lb. and I am still just staying the same...pretty soon I'm going to grab a coffee cup and join him.....

Bonnie