Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 15:23

Plan: Zone Diet
Stats: 194/135/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Question Nicotine Gum

Hi all, I just found this sight looking for Zone recipes as I have been on the Zone diet since Jan. I also have quit smoking on 9-10-01. I did it by using the Nocotine gum. My problem?? I am still on the gum and know I am hooked. The thought of going a day without the gum is too much. I am having Dental Implants starting this Friday and I really need to get off the Nicotine (in the gum). Anyone been on this long?? How do you get off this habit?? Go cold turkey like some people do with cigs?? Is it really harmful to be on this long?

Last edited by summerlin1 : Sun, May-18-03 at 17:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi summerlin,

I'm new to these forums too, so hope I'm not breaking any rules here. I'm another nicotine gum addict. I stopped smoking about the same time as you. I don't know about the long-term effects - I don't know if they have been studied much, as the gum is only intended to be used in the short term. I have tried to cut down by only using half a piece of low-dose gum at a time, but I don't know if I can face giving it up at the moment. I have heard of people who have managed by substituting some pieces for ordinary chewing gum - I've tried this, and managed to cut down, but I'm afraid I crept back up again!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 18:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default gum

I cant say what is best for anyone.I do know for me I have been chewing the gum 4 months now.Went a few days with none,but got a bit uptight.I know this is still better than smoking and I buy it from the WEB.Its cheaper.Untill I am all the way comfortable I am not stopping.I do not want to go back to smoking or chewing tabacco(yes I like to chew)especially when I fly.Couldnt smoke.Hey I smoked for thirty years.This will be a taper process.Dont beat yourself up.Your still better off than before..Just think no other chemicals and you can breath..By breathing better you get more execise and one day at a time it will happen.Hang in there..
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 17:15

Plan: Common Sense
Stats: 188/154.6/170 Male 67 inches
BF:?/12/10
Progress: 186%

I am considering using the gum to quit.. does it really work that well? I mean if I really really need a cigarette, will the gum ease that craving right then, or does it take 10 minutes for the nicotine to kick in? Also, is there a provided plan with the gum, or am I just supposed to chew it whenever I feel like smoking?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 03:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
I am considering using the gum to quit.. does it really work that well? I mean if I really really need a cigarette, will the gum ease that craving right then, or does it take 10 minutes for the nicotine to kick in? Also, is there a provided plan with the gum, or am I just supposed to chew it whenever I feel like smoking?

The gum did work very well for me. You don't get a rush of nicotine with it though - it takes about 20 minutes for it to work. The best way to use it is to take a piece every hour or so, or as directed - that keeps your nicotine levels more constant, and you don't get the dip that will trigger a craving. However ........ I did find that being able to chew a piece of gum, rather than smoke, was helpful - just the physical act of putting something in my mouth and chewing and knowing that I was going to feel better soon.

There are quite a few different nicotine replacement products around. I think it's important to find one that suits you, and to use it properly. A lot of people seem to come unstuck because they feel OK when using the product so they don't use it consistently or stop too early.

I also joined a stop smoking group - I found that very useful.

It's not easy stopping, but it's worth it. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by Vanilla : Sun, Jun-29-03 at 03:41.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 12:53

Plan: Common Sense
Stats: 188/154.6/170 Male 67 inches
BF:?/12/10
Progress: 186%

Thanks! I've actually just decided to give it a shot cold turkey. Doing a-ok so far, although I haven't been able to sleep very well the last two nights, but I'm sure that'll get better.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 10:42

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default My story will make you all feel better

I quit smoking a year ago, and still wear 1/4 of a patch. Yes, you heard me right. A YEAR and I'm still using nicotine replacement.

You know what else. I don't care. The patch gives about the same amount of nicotine as two cigarettes a day (down from two packs a day) - with none of the other 500+ toxic chemicals and tars in a cigarette. It costs me 1/8th of what I spent smoking (one box of patches lasts me a month). And here's the main point. I believe this little bit of a patch is staving off depression and weight gain for me.

There. Don't you all feel better now?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 23:09

Stats: 150/130/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

allatonce... you said you buy your nicotine gum from the WEB! Wow! How? Where?

And does this stuff have any carbs in it?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 23:24

Stats: 295/285/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I quit smoking a few years back and used the low dose nicotine gum (2mg) and it worked really well. I never went by the rules. I simply used the gum like I did cigarettes. When I had a craving grab a piece. Most important thing, don't smoke.

Well, I was nicotine free for a few years until I got stupid and thought I could just have a couple of smokes while out at the bar with friends. So...

I quit smoking 7/17/03. Yep, using the gum again. And using it like I did before. Just chew when I get a craving. For me, the gum is pretty intense. Much more intense than the feeling I get from cigarettes. But, maybe that's just me. So, I can't bring myself to chew a piece an hour, I'd be sick. :P

Granted, I haven't been smoking for 30 or even 10 years. But, quitting is difficult. Heh, on the 17th, I also decided to start low carbing again AND stop drinking. So, no alcohol, no smoking and back on a good healthy diet. I must be freakin' insane. But, if there's ONE thing I do right it will be to quit this damned smoking habit.

Enough of my rambling. In short, the gum works really well. Since you can use it when you get a craving, and it ends the craving within minutes, there's really little chance you will decide to pick up a cigarette. Unless, you decide you would rather smoke.

Mmmph... all this talk about smoking... where's my gum...

John
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 00:28

BF:

Hi John,
Thanks for your story. I especially appreciate the part about what happened when you picked up that cigarette again. There have been times I've been tremendously tempted. So far, I've beat it by grabbing the gum. I'm glad I did. I just can't start smoking again. I work closely with people, and I don't want to smell like an ashtray. But... I do miss it. If I live to be 90 (and cigarettes are still legal), I'm going to smoke like a steam engine!

KittyFour
(Barbara)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:

I completely agree with you Barbara! I would love to be able to smoke again - if ever safe cigarettes come on the market I'll buy them like a shot! Somebody [I think Jean-Paul Sartre] once said 'A life without cigarettes is a life a little less worth living', and afraid that's how I've felt since I've stopped .
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:12

BF:

Great quotation, Vanilla! I do relate! And here's another cute one: "If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go" (Mark Twain). For more fun with literary smokers, check out this website:
http://www.genkigirl.org/speakeasy/literarysmokers.html

Oh... and please let me know when/if that safe cigarette ever comes on the market. I want it!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Well, my opinion is different from the warnings on the nicotine products. They say "Don't use for more than 3 months......" I say, use nicotine gum (or whatever) as long as you like, or smoke. You choose which is MOST harmful. There is no tar or CO in gum, patches or lozenges!(Plus, they smell better on us...._)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default sorry for long reply

I buy my gum from New Zealand .Just run a search for nicotine gum on Google and look for UK in the address.They have all kinds and all kinds of prices.Name brands are Nicotonell,Quitex,or Nicorette,even ebay has it,but some is the same as I buy with free shipping.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 02:07
Registered Member

BF:

Do you have any problems with customs when buying from New Zealand? I had a look at a couple of NZ sites and they are a lot cheaper than here in the UK, but I wasn't sure if I'd have to pay a load in duty.