Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 02:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/196/155 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Goodies

I need your advice.
Because I live over here I can only get low carb stuff over the net, but there is so much choice. I need you to teel me what is nice and what i should steer clear of. ( especially in the low carb chocolate dept)
ThanX
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 08:53

Stats: 248/231/175
BF:
Progress: 23%
Lightbulb sweets!!

Hello!
If you are past your 14 day induction phase, or if you are still in induction but feel like your keytones are stable....
you might try the Carbolite brand of sweets! They are great....they have chocolate bars, carmel chocolates, peanut butter cups, etc. I do not know if they have a website or not, but do a search....I know you can buy them through Wal-Mart.
Also, try looking on Atkins website for sweet low carb recipes.
Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Have you asked in the UK Forum?

I imagine you have many different products than we have in North America.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 16:34

BF:
Default Goodies

No shops sell any low carb foods her. I can get them from the websites but its really expensive and i dont want to commit my pounds until I have some recomended to me. So tell me what tastes yummi and what tastes yukki.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Your UK websites sell products that your UK fellow lowcarbers can best answer your question.

The UK Forum is full of UK low carbers who can help you best.

I'll move your post there (there will be a link here for you to scott directly there from here in the Products forum).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 16:57

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Everyone has different tastes, but the one thing I find absolutely heavenly is Atkins Peanut Butter Cups (Not the bars) Yummmm!!

The bars, people differ on what they like, so it is hard to recommend one thing that you specifically would like - but the Atkins bars are the best as far as my taste buds go.

There is also Pure-delite truffles - mint, orange, amaretto - a few others that I cannot remember.

Remeber though, if you are ordering chocolate - keep in mind the tempatures of where you order and where you are.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:28

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

If it's low carb chocolate you want go to Boots. They do an excellent range of diabetic chocolate and also mints, toffee and other things. Sugar free polos are available everywhere. Other chemists (not boots for some reason) stock 'Stute' diabetic jam and marmalade - it is truly excellent.

I have seen low carb bars in Holland and Barretts - but they are expensive. However you can buy 90% soya protein powder there (good for shakes or pancakes) and also soya flour for baking and also making pancakes. The same shop sells low carb mints and lollipops.

Tescos does extra value soya milk which has 0 carbs (only the extra value one) It tastes foul but you get used to it.

Keep hunting - there is stuff out there.
Robert

Last edited by RCFletcher : Thu, May-08-03 at 01:57.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/216/175
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default apparently

Thorntons do sugar free chocolate. I'm back on induction becasue I went out of ketosis (maybe it was the caffeine) but when I'm stable again I'm going to have some!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 03:09

BF:

But sugar free polos are 97% carbohydrate!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 06:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Goodies

Hi Scottie

Its very much up to you what you want, in terms of low carb goodies. I'm just glad that there is not a lot on sale in the UK and have not been tempted to go for bars, chocolate, etc. Must admit I am more a savoury person. You do not need sweet foods to get by. Depending upon how your body works it may see the sugar alcohols, used as sweetners, as sugar and these will then be hidden carbs and may slow or stop your weight loss. They may also trigger you to have a real carb binge.

For a treat, you might like to make yourself a cheesecake, with cream cheese. See the recipe section. However, unless you are very good at eating it a piece at a time, have friends round to eat it with you. It is very calorific.

So enjoy what you buy, but beware of the potential pitfalls.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:36

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I agree. The only special foods I buy regularly are SF jelly, and SF squash. I find it easier to ignore the siren call of low carb bars etc. I suspect that I will end up gnawing at half a dozen and they are very expensive. I do quite fancy some sort of baking misxture so I can make pastry, but it hardly seems worth the cost. I can live without pastry.
Unusually among my acquaintance, I can also live without chocolate. At Christmas, though, I made some truffle style things, from butter, ground almonds, cocoa and sweetner. They were nice but made me more aware of what I couldn't have..(trifle, mincepies, christmas pudding) so in general I avoid that kind of thing.

The recipe section of this board is fantastic, and will give you lots of ideas of things you can easily make. The pancakes recipe in the Atkins book makes two pizza bases, which are certainly good enough.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:38

Hi Scottie,

I have a packet of sugar free polos in front of me.

It says:
carbohydrate 99.1% of which sugar 0 polyols 99.1. The polyol in this case is sorbitol - one of a family of polyols (also called sugar alcohols).

They are digested very slowly or not at all, so they do not cause an insulin spike in most people. This is why they are used in products for diabetics and people on LC diets.

People react differently to them. Some people can eat them with no probems, with others their weight loss stops and with most people more than about 25g a day causes gas and/or the runs.

A packet of sugar free polos is 33g - so if you try them don't get through more than half a packet a day unless you're near a loo! The same goes for Boots diabetic chocolate - stop at half a bar.

Good luck - I have to bring all this stuff out from England - you're lucky!
Robert
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:49

BF:
Default Confused

I dont understand that at all. I just equated carboyhdrate-bad. Can you give me the idiots guide?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:59

Ok,

Sugar = bad
Flour = bad
Potatoes = bad
Sugar alcohols = bad for some people, OK for others, but may make you run to the loo if you eat too much.

I can't put it any plainer than this.

Robert
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:09

BF:

What are sugar alcohols?